Another ear cropping ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ear cropping ?

WE have a 6 week old Fawn puppy, Bella. I've been researching ear cropping and calling vets in the DFW area. They all have a different standard and say 6 - 10 wks, 8 - 12 wks, and the latest 2 weeks after the puppies last series of puppy shots, so 6 - 8 months old. Can anyone please help me with what the proper age is to have them cropped. And last question, any suggestions on "reasonable" vets in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

Thanks you.

Most vets crop between 7-10 weeks. Some will do 12-16 weeks, but I'd feel more comfortable earlier. This is another perk of choosing a responsible breeder, they'll either have a vet that will crop before you get your puppy or will assist you in finding a good vet that knows dane crops in your area. They also wouldn't let a puppy go home at six weeks.
    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Just curious as to why you have a six week old puppy already? Did something happen to the mother and siblings?
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Bella

Bella didn't come from a breeder. My husbands co-workers Dane's had a litter of 8. At 5 weeks of age, someone began stealing the puppies while they were in the backyard and his wife wanted the puppies gone to the promised homes. So we were asked to take her home at 5 weeks.

Comment

Also, as for the "breeder" having a vet that crops, they didn't crop their Dane's ears. We prefer the cropped look and want to find a good vet. The vet we use for shots etc does not do ear cropping.

Comment

Oh dear. 5 week old puppies lose in a backyard is treacherous at best.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

I agree, 5 week old puppies are a hand full. Luckily my MIssy has taken over mothering the puppy, obviously she can't nurse them but she watches over Bella and plays very well with her. Bella isn't going to be an outside dog, all our dogs are inside, sleep on the bed with us kind of dogs. We had a Argentine Dogo that we had to let go to doggy heaven in November after 15 years, he was a bed hog. Not sure about Bella after she's full grown, I don't think the King bed will hold all of us. LOL. We're good responsible dog owners and want to do the best thing for her. I wouldn't have taken puppies from their Mother that early but I didn't want her stolen and given to God knows who so we felt it best to bring her home. My son has her sister at his home so they will get to grow up together and have play days.

Comment

Jennifer, the dog in your picture is absolutely beautiful. Is the shine on it's coat natural? Can I ask what you feed your dog? We're trying to figure that out as well. I've read a lot about bloat and want to make sure we don't have those issues with Bella. We're not giving her puppy food as I read that could cause issues later on in her life. As you can tell, we have a lot of questions. We are 1st time Dane owners and I'm reading everything I can but as usual, there are so many different opinions and suggestions.

Comment

OP research Dr. Schaffer in Frisco, TX. If I was closer that's where I would have went no questions about it.
                  sigpic
                  Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Will do, thank you!

Comment

I can not second Dr. Schaffer more. She is absolutely the best. Depending on how big your pup is, Schaffer crops between 6-9 I believe. She requires at least the first round of shots and the bordetella. Some will say that her price is on the high side, but well worth every penny. You will not be disappointed in the crop nor the level of helpfulness and courtesy the staff provides.

Everyone I know who has a dog cropped in the DFW area will sing her praises, including everyone in the Greater Dallas Great Dane Club

Comment

Another ear cropping ?

Originally posted by sspray View Post
                        Jennifer, the dog in your picture is absolutely beautiful. Is the shine on it's coat natural? Can I ask what you feed your dog? We're trying to figure that out as well. I've read a lot about bloat and want to make sure we don't have those issues with Bella. We're not giving her puppy food as I read that could cause issues later on in her life. As you can tell, we have a lot of questions. We are 1st time Dane owners and I'm reading everything I can but as usual, there are so many different opinions and suggestions.

Than you! Absolutely natural color. The dog was not retouched. Some of the background was camouflaged and wording added.

I feed Raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by oceanbluedanes; 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM.
                        *Jennifer*
                        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X