Taping help/how to get bonding cement off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping help/how to get bonding cement off

I had my dane puppies ears cropped 2 weeks ago, and I just went in today to have her cup taken off of her head, and her stitches. They took a zip tie wrapped it in tape and put that in her ear with bonding cement, then glued some cardboard thing over it, and made a bridge tape. The place we had her ears done isn't her vet since her vet doesn't crop. Well we just got her home a few hours ago, and one side is already popped out and that ear is flopped back. He said it was supposed to stay in for at least two weeks, well that isn't happening. It seemed like a taping process I don't want to do. I saw a video on here that I want to do that seems simple, and that is the backer rod method with tape, backer rods, and gold's bond. Can anyone send me a link with a name of what I can use to get this bonding cement off, and where to buy it. I have Walgreens, Walmart and that's about it by me. The place that did her ears is 40 mins each way, and I don't want to have to keep going back there every few days to have them fix it because it keeps coming out of her ear. Any help with what to do and helpful tips or videos would be appreciated. The edges of her ears are almost healed there is some scabbing, and bled a little today after they took the stitches out. I feel this method is just not going to work, not to mention Nova does NOT sit still and she was so stressed leaving the vet they needed two people to hold her down so the vet could even glue and tape her ears. She will be will be 10 weeks Wednesday.

This is the taping method that would seem faster, easier, and less stressful on my dog.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuf00vkKWM"]Dog Cropped Ear Taping - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Nova's Mommy; 01-27-2014, 07:35 PM.

Sorry I might not be much help as I never used the cement on my boy. I used the backer rod method as the video. That is how my breeder tought me the day I picked him up. Put to get the tape off she said to use an adhesive remover. I had to order it online as the only stores arround me are rite aid and walmart but still toomfar to just drive and look plus I ordered everything I needed before I brought him home. The brand she had me get is called Detachol. Hope it helps and you can find some kind of adhesive remover at walgreens or walmart.
    sigpic Erin, Mommy of three skin babies, Jacob 4, Ari 3, Jacen 4m, with one on the way. 2 fur babies Campbell-Doberman Pincher (3), Boomer-fawn Great Dane (9 months). Oh cant forget married to my wonderful Marine husband Drew.....

Comment

Also I had a difficult time with my boys ears being able to breath through the tape and not getting the gooey mess so I kind of used the backer rod method but then when I couldnt keep them dry I used vet wrap around the whole ear and then just a couple pieces of tape to keep the vet wrap ln then a tape bridge was all I used. Please dont forget to use the gold bond in the flap of the ear to keep it dry. This was the first taping I did with the backer rob and it worked well I have a lot more pictures of different methods I tried if you would like to see
      sigpic Erin, Mommy of three skin babies, Jacob 4, Ari 3, Jacen 4m, with one on the way. 2 fur babies Campbell-Doberman Pincher (3), Boomer-fawn Great Dane (9 months). Oh cant forget married to my wonderful Marine husband Drew.....

Comment

First Pic: This is Nova's ears with her right side flopped:

Second Pic: Nova's left side fine where it should be

Third Pic: Nova's right ear that the piece popped out of her ear, and I can't put it back in. I don't like all that cement crap they used, it seems like a way to time consuming method that I really don't want to follow. I need to figure out how to get that glue off. She is going to FREAK out trying to get that off. She is not a happy puppy right now. And again her sides aren't 100% healed. Vet also said to leave this in until it falls off which should be at least two weeks. I have never heard of changing ears every 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by Nova's Mommy; 01-27-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

In the picture her ear appears to be completely closed off? Is there room for the ear to breath?

Summit View on YouTube has a great 3 part tutorial video. He uses the backer rod method, back rolls the stay with athletic tape, and uses paper tape to wrap the ear.

Below is a link to an adhesive remove I've seen mostly used during my searches on Dane and Dobie websites...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nephew-Uni-Solve-Adhesive-Remover/dp/B000E5BKVE/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_y"]Amazon.com: Smith & Nephew Uni Solve Adhesive Remover - 8 Ounce Bottle: Health & Personal Care[/ame]
          Last edited by ezskanken; 01-28-2014, 09:00 AM.
          sigpic
          Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

I had the vet take Nova's bonding cement off, and told them I'm going to do my own taping instead. I think bonding cement is messy and a big pain in the a$$. This is my first tape job, and I did it by myself.

Comment

They're looking good! I think it looks great for your first time posting & I don't blame you for not going the other route...definitely looked more complicated than posting needs to be IMO. I love the backer rod method (that's what you're doing, isn't it?), I can make the posts & do my pup's ears in about 5 minutes by myself.
              sigpic

Hey y'all, I'm Meg from WV, Dane's name is Timber

Comment

Thank you, and yes I use the backer rod method.

Comment

Is it ok to leave my puppies ears down for a day or two? She has a couple sores on her ears from taping. If it is ok should I put some neosporine on the spots? I will post a picture of her first taping off, and after a bath since her she was stinky, and her ears were stinky and goopy.

Last edited by Nova's Mommy; 02-02-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

If they're just little sores I would put Neosporin on them & retape, trying to avoid those areas if possible. Are you using Goldbond powder? It made a big difference in keeping Timber's ears from getting gooey. She looks great, I love her crop!
                    sigpic

Hey y'all, I'm Meg from WV, Dane's name is Timber

Comment

Working...
                    X