Any hope for my GD's ears?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hope for my GD's ears?

I bought my GD puppy from a breeder with his ears already cropped. Long story short, he had pretty bad open wounds on his ears so I refused to tape them until he was healed. After that, I found out he had ear mites. That was two more weeks of not being taped. All in all, he wasn't taped for about a month - from the time he was about 5 to 6 months old - his ears were completely flopped down during this period.

After he was mite-free and his ears healed, I started taping again to see how they'd respond. Well, they responded REALLY well. I've had 'em up for about a month now. When I take the tape off, -for the most part- he can get them to stand when they're in the "alert" position. After only a couple hours though they start getting VERY floppy and the tips are extremely soft and unstable.

He's going to be 7 months old in about 1.5 weeks and below are some pictures of him. Here are my questions:

1. Are the tips so incredibly floppy because I wasn't taping during a crucial stage?

2. In your opinion, will they ever stand? Are they close to being able to stand?

I've been feeding him knox gelatin to harden that cartilage, so maybe that will help.

Thanks for your time!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Oxford; 01-25-2014, 03:02 PM.

1. Are the tips so incredibly floppy because I wasn't taping during a crucial stage?

2. In your opinion, will they ever stand? Are they close to being able to stand?

No, I don't think that's affecting the tips.

Keep taping. You have them up from the bottoms. It's not unusual for ears to not be standing at this age. I taped one until 18 mos but I did get them to stand.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post

No, I don't think that's affecting the tips.

Keep taping. You have them up from the bottoms. It's not unusual for ears to not be standing at this age. I taped one until 18 mos but I did get them to stand.
      Thank you, really hoping for sooner than 18 months!

Comment

I don't have any input other then, he is gorgeous. He is so handsome. I hope you can get them to stand.
        ~Kelsey, mom to~
        Kumah-merle Great Dane 4 years
        Nala-fawn Great Dane 2 months
        Cece- Calico 4 years
        Sammy- Black Domestic Long Hair 3 years
        Tyke- 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by Kumah View Post
          I don't have any input other then, he is gorgeous. He is so handsome. I hope you can get them to stand.
          Thank you very much

Comment

Is his name oxford?
            sigpic Little boy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lacey View Post
              Is his name oxford?
              No, his name is Gatsby. My last Dane was named Oxford.

Comment

I definitely think could get them to stand with time and patience. I would keep at it for at least a few more months. I wouldn't leave them down for long periods of time, maybe an hour, then put them right back up again. Good luck. He looks great with them up.
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Oxford View Post
                  No, his name is Gatsby. My last Dane was named Oxford.
                  Thats Awesome I Have A English Mastiff nNamed oxford
                  sigpic Little boy!

Comment

I agree, they look fine to me. And he is still young yet.
                    KEEP TAPING They should have a good chance at standing.
                    I wouldn't leave them down long enough between tapings so they flop like they did in the 2nd pic
                    sigpic
                    "Gia" and Olivia
                    Am CH/Can GCH Kiltic Daynakin HunymoonNVegas CGN CHIC
                    LiveSky Great Danes

Comment

Totally agree with the others! Just giving you another push to not give up. They are definitely not a lost cause! Stay diligent!
                      (as the others said, don't leave them down long enough for them to flop.)

Cute pup, cute name...good luck!
                      sigpic

Comment

it's a very traditional Chinese thing to give chicken feet to strengthen cartilage.. that amongst other things. although for people one would boil it into a soup. i bet raw chicken feet wouldn't hurt!
                        sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

I feed one or two raw chicken feet daily. It especially is good for the old dogs. Good for joints.

Comment

Is there much of a difference between duck and chicken feet nutritionally?

Comment

Originally posted by Lizgirl View Post
                              Is there much of a difference between duck and chicken feet nutritionally?
                              Duck tends to be more oily/greasy and too much, too quick can give runny poo.
                              *Jennifer*
                              Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X