Patiently/Anxiously Waiting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patiently/Anxiously Waiting

Dropped Zeke off this morning. He will be the first of the day which will be around 12:30pm. He should be ready to go home by 4:30pm. Doctor did some measurements, explained some things, and we talked a bit about life ha ha. Made me feel good about things.

Hope everybody has a great day...
    sigpic
    Zeke @ 9 Months

Exciting! Sounds like all is off to a great start! I know the waiting is torture. Keep us posted!
    sigpic

Comment

Very exciting! Let us know how it goes!

Comment

I'm excited to see how they turn out! I know how you feel, I couldn't pick Timber up fast enough & then of course I couldn't wait to get his ears untaped to check em out...longest 10 days of my life lol.

What crop style did you go with?
        sigpic

Hey y'all, I'm Meg from WV, Dane's name is Timber

Comment

Thanks everyone! I showed him a picture of a pup he cropped. He confirmed that it was a medium show crop. So that was good. Then he went on to explain about the ears and how each pups ears he tailors them to the face.

He wants me to come back in a week so he can show me how to tape since I live 3 hours away and want to take Zeke home with me today. Seeing stuff done in person is good for me.

Eating lunch now and enjoying a cocktail to calm the nerves lol!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ezskanken; 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM.
          sigpic
          Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

I'm 3 hours from the cropping vet I chose too, so I decided to take the stitches out myself...got a sterile suture removal kit from the hospital & took them out yesterday. I left my house at 5:30am & got home at 7:30pm that day so I didn't particularly want to make that trek again if I didn't have to lol.

I hope the crop is everything you hope it is, it looks like things went promising with the vet visit so that's good! Have you had a dog cropped before?
            sigpic

Comment

Just got a call from the vet saying Zeke is waking up, and that I can pick him up in an hour! Excited and happy to see him, then take him home .
              sigpic
              Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

How did it go?
                sigpic

Comment

Here he is. He seems to be in good spirits, but very frustrated with not being able to scratch his ears. They said to take the sleeve off in 3 days, and then let them breath for another few days. They want me to come back to take the stitches out and show me how to post. But another 6-7 hour drive might be hard to fit in our schedule with 3 kids and my wife's work schedule.

My wife is a RN so she can take the stitches out. I will continuously watch the taping videos over and over again.

What do you guys think about his ears not being up? Have any of you seen this? When I asked about it they said it's something new they are doing...

Sorry we can't see what his ears look like yet. I'm a bit mad about it myself...

I bought the large collar which is 13"-18", I think I should have bought the medium collar which is 10"-13".
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Aw he's so handsome! My Doberman's breeder left his ears down while they healed, I never got the left one to stand right but I don't think that's why. If you think about it, it's just like you waited another week to crop IMO. Someone on this forum mentioned them wrinkling up if left down to heal but most other posters didn't agree with it & my Dobe's ears weren't wrinkled. I myself prefer to have them taped with the stitches exposed, Timber's ears already stand (although I'm sure would droop after much time unposted) so it probably cuts some posting time out, plus I'm impatient & wanted to see them sooner.
                    That's good she's an RN, it definitely will be no problem for her lol, I'm in my second year of nursing school. I was using the backer rod method but that video you commented on looks a lot more simple & less likely to cause the ears being taped too tight, I think I'm going to try it next taping...
                    sigpic

Comment

Your wife is perfectly capable of removing stitches, don't worry about that.

Be sure to watch the videos but no matter how much you prepare ahead of time, you're going to feel helpless the first time you tape. Just keep doing it and you will get much better very quickly.

Don't worry about them being down. It's perfectly fine. I know it's dreadful to not be able to see them yet. But just be patient. Don't tape until the edges are healed or you will just cause more problems.

Good luck and congrats on the successful crop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      *Jennifer*
                      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                      sigpic

Comment

If you are not planning to take the pup back to the Vet to have stitches removed and taping done, do you have someone in your area that can help show you how to tape correctly?

There are some videos online that show how to tape, but it really helps if someone can show you in person.

Comment

Give it a week with that collar and he'll fit it perfectly.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                            Your wife is perfectly capable of removing stitches, don't worry about that.

Be sure to watch the videos but no matter how much you prepare ahead of time, you're going to feel helpless the first time you tape. Just keep doing it and you will get much better very quickly.

Don't worry about them being down. It's perfectly fine. I know it's dreadful to not be able to see them yet. But just be patient. Don't tape until the edges are healed or you will just cause more problems.

Good luck and congrats on the successful crop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Oceanblue, again thank you for all of your helpful and encouraging post. Really makes this place a great place to come to and hang around. Get's me excited everytime I see a reply from you to one of my post, and to anything I'm researching.

Originally posted by saharadane View Post
                            If you are not planning to take the pup back to the Vet to have stitches removed and taping done, do you have someone in your area that can help show you how to tape correctly?

There are some videos online that show how to tape, but it really helps if someone can show you in person.
                            Another member has sent me links to a series of videos the expalin the ear wrap in great great detail. He demonstrates using the pipe insulation cut in half method. I recently saw another video that another member made and it appears to be an easier and lighter alternative.

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                            Give it a week with that collar and he'll fit it perfectly.
                            Ha ha! Thanks for reminding me how fast they grow. This Wednesday he will be 12 weeks.

Originally posted by its_country_bumpkn View Post
                            Aw he's so handsome! My Doberman's breeder left his ears down while they healed, I never got the left one to stand right but I don't think that's why. If you think about it, it's just like you waited another week to crop IMO. Someone on this forum mentioned them wrinkling up if left down to heal but most other posters didn't agree with it & my Dobe's ears weren't wrinkled. I myself prefer to have them taped with the stitches exposed, Timber's ears already stand (although I'm sure would droop after much time unposted) so it probably cuts some posting time out, plus I'm impatient & wanted to see them sooner.
                            That's good she's an RN, it definitely will be no problem for her lol, I'm in my second year of nursing school. I was using the backer rod method but that video you commented on looks a lot more simple & less likely to cause the ears being taped too tight, I think I'm going to try it next taping...
                            Thanks for the reasurrance bumpkin. I think that in the moment of me seeing him, then seeing his ears not up as I was seeing through research I got a bit concerned. I might have came off a little to pushy towards the tech when I asked her to repeat everything at least 3 times lol!
                            sigpic
                            Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Sneak peak I guess ha ha!

Unfortunately I had to take the snoody off before tomorrow morning. Zeke was rubbing up against the couch and the snoody got rubbed down over his ears some how. I tried to wiggle it back down, but it would just wrinkle his face up, even when I tried to tuck the folds back under.

My honest initial thoughts:
                              I think it's shorter then a medium show crop, maybe it's a pet crop? But it also appears to be "smashed down". When I pull on it to get it's full length, I get easily another 1.5'', maybe a little shy of 2'' upwards. I dig the shape though. Tips don't have the nice curve in it that I liked in the pictures, but I like the amount of bell left.

Tried to get a side picture, but he seems really happy to have that snoody off his head. As soon as it was off he took off to the yard and ran around ha ha. He's been running around playing with his sister relentlessly.

Side Note:
                              He has been sleeping with me on the bed the past 2 nights. Which I hope doesn't affect his crate training which he's been so good at. Been very paranoid about him scratching and I'm not there to stop it even with the beach towel and blow up collar around him. No bleeding when I took the snoody off, everything is dry. Ear appears a little more pinkish then normal but that might be expected with what he just went through.

I'll try to get a better picture tonight when he gets tired. In the picture below the tip is folder over towards the front...
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic
                              Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Working...
                              X