Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally home! How do they look?

Please give me your honest opinion on his crop, criticism encouraged
    I think they look pretty good, the left ear appears slightly thinner than the right but they're still in stints so I'm not sure if I'm looking at ears or part of them...seems to have enough bell & curve.

sigpic

Hey y'all, I'm Meg from WV, Dane's name is Timber

He looks tired..lol jk you wont really know how they look till the swelling goes down and the stints come off. Glad you are happy thus far. Good luck with taping! I know you have before but with a dane it is FUN lol not...cant wait to see pics as you both go through the process
    sigpic Erin, Mommy of three skin babies, Jacob 4, Ari 3, Jacen 4m, with one on the way. 2 fur babies Campbell-Doberman Pincher (3), Boomer-fawn Great Dane (9 months). Oh cant forget married to my wonderful Marine husband Drew.....

Comment

From what I can see, the shape/style of the crop looks good but they are too short for my preference.

If crop lengths don't look slightly ridiculous on a young pup, they tend to end up too short. It seems that the head grows more than the ears do so if they don't look too long on a puppy, they get outgrown by the head as the dog matures.

BUT... they will be super easy to tape and should be standing very quickly!
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
        From what I can see, the shape/style of the crop looks good but they are too short for my preference.

If crop lengths don't look slightly ridiculous on a young pup, they tend to end up too short. It seems that the head grows more than the ears do so if they don't look too long on a puppy, they get outgrown by the head as the dog matures.

BUT... they will be super easy to tape and should be standing very quickly!

Agreed. The shape does look good, but a bit short.

This was at 11 weeks

And at almost 2 he really doesn't have that long of a crop
        Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
        Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

-Thanks for the replies so far! I didn't realize that about the length but now that y'all explained it, his crop just about fits his puppy head rather than being too long. I am relieved the shape/style looks good, I guess if it was between having a decent but shorter crop or a bad cut I'd pick the short crop but hey shorting taping times are always a plus lol!

Here's one of him from a distance if that helps determine length I don't know lol & please excuse my picture in the floor, I'm too short to hang it up myself

One with his ears alert (hard to get him to hold still!)

sigpic

Comment

Shape looks good!
            sigpic
            Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

Good ear shape, bad ear shape, meh..I don't know enough about it....
              I simply think he's a darling looking puppy!

Debbie
              Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
              "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie F View Post

Debbie
                While I appreciate a nice compliment I have to say, the rest of the statement sounds passive aggressive towards those who choose to crop. Since this is specifically a crop thread placed in the cropping topic section of the forum and the OP specifically asked for opinions on the crop, I don't see the big deal on everyone giving their opinions on the crop. Maybe I'm just touchy. *shrug*

OP, I agree with everyone else, the crop looks good albeit a bit short. And I agree with you, length with horrible shape would look awful, I hate when they leave bell and they end up looking like a bat. Rupert's was a little to short also, I thought I desperately didn't want a flop so I said medium show crop and it ended up being a smidge short for my personal taste (after I learned more). Next time I'll know better. Rupert still looks good to me and I'm sure yours will look good to you. Did you ever tell us your guy's name? I can't recall, my mind, it is going. LOL
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I'm so relieved everyone agrees that the shape is ok, whew! Yes I know what you mean about the bell & I've seen several people have more than one Dane that way, I would've picked another vet after the first time. But like you said ya love your fur babies regardless of their looks, after all it's just cosmetic. We're just in love with our boy...wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get a Dane now lol.

Also yep we finally decided on a name, "Flora's I'm Yelling Timber" aka Timber (I love thinking of kennel names lol) & it seemed pretty fitting for his breed & all...
                  sigpic

Comment

Debbie
                    Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                    While I appreciate a nice compliment I have to say, the rest of the statement sounds passive aggressive towards those who choose to crop. Since this is specifically a crop thread placed in the cropping topic section of the forum and the OP specifically asked for opinions on the crop, I don't see the big deal on everyone giving their opinions on the crop. Maybe I'm just touchy. *shrug*
                    Huh?

I think that's a first time ever anyone thought I was being passive-aggressive.

If it makes you feel better, I'll be happy to clarify.

While I personally prefer the look of the cropped ears vs natural ears, I thought I was honest when I stated that I did not know enough about crops. Therefore, I could not offer a sound opinion to the lady who was asking for advice.

As for the puppy looking like a darling....well, even I got to admit it's a cute puppy. Thus, I thought it was a nice gesture to let her know that.

Nothing more, nothing less. I have no hidden agenda(s). Sorry.

P.S. - I've always admired your great-looking Rupert!

Debbie
                    Last edited by Debbie F; 01-10-2014, 12:20 AM.
                    Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
                    "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

Comment

White puppy, just beautiful. I think they look great and of normal length, exactly how it should be.

Comment

When I had my pilot's ears done, my vet told me that his ears are shorter than most so I told her to keep his natural tips and shape from there. Afterwards, I got help from breeders because it was my first time posting and they all said his ears were short, shorter than a medium even. Well look at them now! They must have grown a lot. So do not be discouraged, they may grow as well. I think that your shaping is great and your puppy is a cutie! Do a lot ofup and out pulling, maybe that's what encouraged mine's ears to shoot up

Comment

He is going to be a hell of a stunner when he's big.
                          sigpic

Comment

Huh?

I think that's a first time ever anyone thought I was being passive-aggressive.

If it makes you feel better, I'll be happy to clarify.

While I personally prefer the look of the cropped ears vs natural ears, I thought I was honest when I stated that I did not know enough about crops. Therefore, I could not offer a sound opinion to the lady who was asking for advice.

As for the puppy looking like a darling....well, even I got to admit it's a cute puppy. Thus, I thought it was a nice gesture to let her know that.

Nothing more, nothing less. I have no hidden agenda(s). Sorry.

P.S. - I've always admired your great-looking Rupert!

Debbie
                            (Bold mine)
                            Well, I wasn't looking for you to make me feel better.

So, you know nothing about crops but comment on a crop post specifically asking about crops and say "meh" in response to the crop.

Please don't be sorry that you don't have a hidden agenda, I'd say that's usually a good way to live, without agendas, hidden or otherwise. It's not like I WANTED you to have an agenda, I wast just stating how it came across.

And thanks.
                            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                              (Bold mine)
                              Well, I wasn't looking for you to make me feel better.

So, you know nothing about crops but comment on a crop post specifically asking about crops and say "meh" in response to the crop.

Please don't be sorry that you don't have a hidden agenda, I'd say that's usually a good way to live, without agendas, hidden or otherwise. It's not like I WANTED you to have an agenda, I wast just stating how it came across.

And thanks.
                              Personally I didnt take her comment that way at all - I took it as she doesnt know enough to comment on the crop but the pup is adorable. A simple compliment & nothing more.
                              "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                              sigpic
                              Rocky & Emma
                              Follow our adventures at
                              www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

Working...
                              X