Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I a bad person if I get my merle pup cropped?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is stunning! Although not the standard, they sure can come in some pretty incredible colours! How do I attach a photo? My breeder sent new pictures today!
    Mariah
    sigpic
    Arwen 2y/o Australian Kelpie X
    Willow 3y/o Cocker Spaniel
    Xavier 4y/o Great Dane

Follow us on Instagram, Mariah0707

Comment

I'm not against cropping, however, I personally wouldn't crop a merle. Others have already given great advice about cropping info (vet choice, maintenance, etc.). Sounds like you are committed to doing it right! Just a couple more cents here...ask yourself how thick your skin is? Are you sensitive? Able to brush off the comments you will get? (Search the threads here on DOL.) Honestly, not being rude, just throwing in another angle. Shown, not shown, correct color, mismark - you WILL get negative comments. Regardless of the comments you will get (mostly while being in tapes) socialization and training must go on and he will need to get out and about. If after all you've considered, you want it, go for it. Good luck!
      sigpic

Comment

It's about personal preference. I prefer merles without cropped ears but like to see certain other colors with cropped ears. I don't know why but uncropped fawns look goofy to me. Do whatever you think you'll like most.
        Julie
        Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
        RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
        Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
        sigpic

Comment

I just found this thread. I have a merle girl & she's getting her ears cropped this coming Friday. Is there something wrong with cropping a merle?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashers_mom View Post
            I just found this thread. I have a merle girl & she's getting her ears cropped this coming Friday. Is there something wrong with cropping a merle?
            You can crop any Dane as a pet or a show dog. I think what they were referring to was personal choice. Things I've read is that most all show dogs are cropped (with in the US), even though it's not a mandatory thing (I think). It's just harder to win with neutral ears.

With that said, Zeke is going in on Monday to get his ears cropped. My anxiety and nervousness will be full tilt come the night before and the entire day of till I get him in my arms again...
            sigpic
            Zeke @ 9 Months

Comment

I got my female merl cropped I think they look beautiful. I feel people treat merles like they are not as good as other colors just because they can't be shown which I personally think is dumb.

Comment

Lol! I agree! I didnt realize this about Merle Danes. I didnt research akc breed standards before we got a dane. My byb didnt tell me about that,lol! just kidding. I just hope her ears stand... She will be 12 1/2 weeks when they are done. My vet seems to think they will be fine!

Comment

She will be 12 1/2 weeks when they are done...
                  A lot of differing opinions on getting a pup cropped that late. I personally would never crop a puppy that old, and this is coming from someone who has never had a Dane that wasn't cropped and probably never will. JMO...
                  Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

I guess I'll just hope for the best!

Comment

First - you are NOT a bad person for wanting to have your Dane's ears cropped. Expect some grief from folks who have issues with any dog getting its ears cropped. So many of us have stories about that subject!

Mister, our Harl, was cropped at 10 weeks. He has never been shown - though I expect we would have tried if we lived in the Lower 48. Dealing with posting was a lot of work and he tends to have more of a yoda look - but will hold his ears up when HE wants to.

Guido, our Italian import Mantle, came to us at 10 weeks o'natural. I think he probably would have looked amazing with cropped ears, but we decided to leave him natural.

I will say Guido has the "dirtier" ears - and I do ear maintenance every Sunday. It may depend on whether or not your pup is a wax maker - but the natural ears do not keep the dirt out as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Thanks for the info but my male boxer just attacked our dane pup...she will have to be stitched up first thing in the morning. He got her around the neck , I hope she's ok! The ear crop may not happen now! I think I've got other plans for the boxer... He's became to aggressive!

Comment

Is the boxer aggressive to people or just having issues with the pup?

Comment

Mainly other dogs.... But he did snap at my daughter the other day & his tooth scraped her between the eyes! Idk what I'm going to do

Comment

Mainly other dogs.... But he did snap at my daughter the other day & his tooth scraped her between the eyes! Idk what I'm going to do
                              Sometimes adding a pup is just too much for the current dog to handle and it sets them off. I would suggest getting a behaviorist involved asap to get a handle on it. Unfortunately sometimes adding a new pup just doesnt work and one has to try again later when the adult dog has either had more help and work done or after they pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X