Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I a bad person if I get my merle pup cropped?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I a bad person if I get my merle pup cropped?

Having a moral dilemma.

The dilemma being I love a good crop, I think it can look fantastic and really gives that regal look - but of course it would just be purely for looks. Being merle he cannot be shown in conformation classes, but I do plan on doing obedience and other dog sports.

I have a 4 year old merle as well, ears natural, I love his ears and of course he's still super handsome, but there is definitely slightly more maintenance to his ears than the stand up ears of my kelpie. (I'm sure though all the taping of cropped ears evens that out.)

He is only 4 weeks now, so lots of time to decide.

What do you think? Would you, or have you cropped a merle or other non standard coloured Dane? Tell me your opinions and thoughts - and yes, you can tell me you'd think I was a bad person!
    Mariah
    sigpic
    Arwen 2y/o Australian Kelpie X
    Willow 3y/o Cocker Spaniel
    Xavier 4y/o Great Dane

Follow us on Instagram, Mariah0707

I personally would not, just because of how much work goes into it. But if you understand the amount of work that it takes and still want to do it, I would say personal preference but obviously go with a quarter crop/pet crop.

I got my girl cropped because she will be in the ring and will also be competing in rally & agility. If I had a Merle, I would not put myself through it. How old is your girl? Is she young enough that the cartilage can still be manipulated to stand?
    - Jordan & Eleanor (xxx's Words of Wisdom from Ms. Rigby)

Comment

If I decide to do it, 110% effort will be put in to the after care.

He is 4 weeks old now. What do you mean by manipulate the cartilage? Like they would stand on their own without cropping? Seems like a danes ears would be way too big for that..and goofy.
      Mariah
      sigpic
      Xavier 4y/o Great Dane

Comment

Cropping is just for looks whether your dog is a show dog or not. I say go for it if you know what you're in for. (I may be biased towards crops, I love a GOOD crop. Which also means, do your research on your vet, get pics, get recommendations, make sure they know what the heck they're doing. )
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I am discussing with a vet, Dr. Greenbank at Greenbank Veterinary Services in Edmonton, AB (found the listing on here, as well the recommendation from the breeder) who has been doing dane crops for 30+ years. Before the crop is done there will be a consultation with the puppy present to determine the appropriate crop for him.

Now, heres another factor - I am in Calgary, so a 4+ hour drive to pick up puppy. Because the vet that would do the crop is very close to where he is, I would likely have it done the same day. Thats a lot of stress in one day. The other option is that I could have the breeder take him at 6 weeks when he gets his shots to have it done, but I would really like to be present to meet with the vet and pick him up (overprotective) But if its better for him to have it done before he moves home, I can do that too.

Sparrow - Your boy is gorgeous with his light eyes! Did you decide to have him cropped being non show color?
          Mariah
          sigpic
          Xavier 4y/o Great Dane

Comment

No, but I personally would not crop a merle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

It's totally up to you. My BYB harl boy is cropped and he's not registered so showing was never on the table. I will most likely have fawns and brindles from now on but would crop even a pet so being a non show color wouldn't stop me. I don't mind the work of taping because I feel the end result is worth it.
              Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
              Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I say if you like it, know what you're getting into and you're willing to put the effort in, go for it. My guy is a pied merle, and I don't personally care for the cropped look on a pied, but when we get Dane #2 we are hoping for a mismark mantle or a merle mantle, and will most likely crop her.
                sigpic
                Fergus
                SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
                Eisen Shark
                C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Thanks so much for all your input! It does help just to hear different peoples opinions for sure.

Now what about the having it done the same day he comes home issue?
                  Mariah
                  sigpic
                  Xavier 4y/o Great Dane

Comment

Originally posted by Mariah707 View Post
                    Thanks so much for all your input! It does help just to hear different peoples opinions for sure.

Now what about the having it done the same day he comes home issue?

It should be fine. I cropped Khaleesi within a couple days of getting her. She did great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    *Jennifer*
                    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                    sigpic

Comment

If your committed go ahead. Color shouldn't matter. Plenty have pet Danes with crops on here .
                      sigpic Little boy!

Comment

I agree. Cropping a merle is exactly the same as someone cropping an accepted show color puppy who has no intention of showing it.
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010
                        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

All cropping is cosmetic. Whether an accepted color or not, showing or not, the risks and work involved are the same.

Comment

Sparrow - Your boy is gorgeous with his light eyes! Did you decide to have him cropped being non show color?
                            Thanks. He actually has two different colored eyes. And yes, I decided years and years before I ever got a Dane that I would crop him when I got him. I love the look.
                            Attached Files
                            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

If I decide to do it, 110% effort will be put in to the after care.

He is 4 weeks old now. What do you mean by manipulate the cartilage? Like they would stand on their own without cropping? Seems like a danes ears would be way too big for that..and goofy.
                              I mean that the older they get the harder and more rigid their cartilage becomes, thus making it stand eventually. I didn't know if you an older pup that you wanted to crop or what the age was.

I brought my girl home the day after she was cropped. The hardest part for me to go through emotionally was having to debride the scabs on her ears and one of the times I made her ear bleed & I felt so bad I cried and cried. No problems with them though. They look great now!
                              - Jordan & Eleanor (xxx's Words of Wisdom from Ms. Rigby)

Comment

Working...
                              X