One floppy ear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One floppy ear?

Hello all! I have a 5 month old Great Dane pup. We got his ears cropped on September 27th. My question is how long do the ears normally need to be tapped for a medium-long crop? One ear flops and one looks fantastic. Our vet mentioned reconstructive surgery but we really don't want to do that. He's teething right now and I have read that we just need to keep taping. We haven't missed any tapings so it's not a matter of us doing anything wrong. Were just worried because we don't want it all the be for nothing. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    sigpic

My favorite men

Does the ear stand at all when you take the tapes off?

Comment

Do you have any pictures?

Do you pull up and out when you tape the ear to avoid creating pockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

How long is he up in tape and then how long is his break from the tapes? You will probably need to tape until 7 months or longer with a longer crop.
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Re: one floppy ear.

Yes the ear will stand for a day or so really well then will flop. We have had them taped by the vet ever since he's been cropped so I assume they know how to do it. We just taped him for the first time ourselves yesterday and we thought they looked pretty good. Normally the last few times his tape has been off it's been probably about two weeks with tape on and a couple of days to a week of tape off. I don't have a picture of the flop but I have attached a picture of his ears last week. In this pic the tape was off for one day. I think it flopped either later that night or the next day.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

My favorite men

Comment

Extra Picture

Here is one more picture so you can see the crop better.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

My favorite men

Comment

I hear of this happening time and time again when using the "Up 2 weeks, down 1 week method" - leaving the tapes off for a week is WAY too long! At the very longest, I've never left them down for more than about 4 hours. Until they were close to being finished, then a day here or there is fine.

Athena has a VERY long show crop and was taped until she was 8 months. Her ears stand perfectly. Khaleesi also has a long show crop and was only taped for less than 8 weeks (done by 4 months) and hers also stand perfectly. Belle had a shorter crop and was also finished by 4 months. It depends on the specific cut as well as the ear leather of the individual dog.

I would get them taped up and not leave them down for longer than a couple hours between tapings. What method are you using?

It looks like he has a lot of bell, which could be part of the problem...
              *Jennifer*
              sigpic

Comment

I have only taped one dog but he is now totally done at 5 months with a medium show crop. I never let them flop. When I took the tape off I either immediately put it back up or I watched them like a crazy lady to see if they would start to droop. I wouldn't let him be alone in his crate for longer than an hour in fear that they would flop while I was gone. Anyways my point is keep them up and don't give them a chance to flop over and break down all the support they are building. good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by jadasmom.1 View Post
                  I have only taped one dog but he is now totally done at 5 months with a medium show crop. I never let them flop. When I took the tape off I either immediately put it back up or I watched them like a crazy lady to see if they would start to droop. I wouldn't let him be alone in his crate for longer than an hour in fear that they would flop while I was gone. Anyways my point is keep them up and don't give them a chance to flop over and break down all the support they are building. good luck and keep us posted
                  When I first saw your signature picture, I thought your arm was the puppy's front leg reaching for the treat bag!
                  *Jennifer*
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                    When I first saw your signature picture, I thought your arm was the puppy's front leg reaching for the treat bag!
                    I thought the exact same thing. I suspect we're not the only ones…

Debbie
                    Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
                    "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

Comment

I guess I shouldn't have worn a black shirt. Stacking is HARD! Especially when I have no idea what I am doing. I had an experienced dane show person over for two hours and took about 400 photos that day and none of them are any good. It's a good thing he is a companion pup and not a show prospect because he would not move his back legs for me at all. I am sure I could learn and teach him but I am working on more pressing matters like, socks are not chew toys and don't eat off my plate. oh well. I will find a better picture of my handsome boy.
                      Trying to put a different picture on here and I can't get anything to work.
                      Last edited by jadasmom.1; 12-04-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jadasmom.1 View Post
                        I will find a better picture of my handsome boy.
                        Trying to put a different picture on here and I can't get anything to work.
                        No, no, no!

Please do not change the picture. I can't speak for others but, I love that picture. It does make me look twice but, guess what? I like that picture putting a chuckling smile onto my face.

Debbie
                        Life-long dog owner, but first time Great Dane owner
                        "Gilligan" (born 5.7.2013)

Comment

No seriously NOTHING is working. I can't upload anything now. I have a good picture I have been wanting to put up and I can't get it in there. I can't put the old one in or add another. I have been trying all morning and now I have nothing. Sometimes I wish I was better at computers.
                          Im gonna go snuggle the dog now.

Comment

Re: One floppy ear

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                            I hear of this happening time and time again when using the "Up 2 weeks, down 1 week method" - leaving the tapes off for a week is WAY too long! At the very longest, I've never left them down for more than about 4 hours. Until they were close to being finished, then a day here or there is fine.

Athena has a VERY long show crop and was taped until she was 8 months. Her ears stand perfectly. Khaleesi also has a long show crop and was only taped for less than 8 weeks (done by 4 months) and hers also stand perfectly. Belle had a shorter crop and was also finished by 4 months. It depends on the specific cut as well as the ear leather of the individual dog.

I would get them taped up and not leave them down for longer than a couple hours between tapings. What method are you using?

It looks like he has a lot of bell, which could be part of the problem...
                            Is the bell the lower part of the ear? If so, why would that be a problem? Sorry i'm just not familiar with everything. Also, we got his ears cropped a little later than normal. I just wanted to clarify that he was born on June 20th I believe and we got his ears cropped on the 27th of September. We tried to get him done earlier but his pre-anaesthetic blood test showed some kind of infection. We wanted to make sure it was all clear before he went into surgery, so we waited a couple of extra weeks. I'm wondering if that also has a lot to do with it.
                            sigpic

My favorite men

Comment

Yes the bell is the lower part of the ear. Too much bell can be more difficult to stand (as can too little). You want a happy medium that fits the dog and the dog's ear leather.

Not sure of the math exactly, but it sounds like he was over 12 weeks when he was cropped. That is late but not impossible to get a successful crop from. More likely, the extended lengths of time that the ears were left down was the bigger issue.

I would get him taped up and keep him taped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              *Jennifer*
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X