This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2 new Euro's!

I have owned and bred danes in the past. These are number 5 and 6! Cropped my whole life, know what I am doing and excited to see these babies grow up with some beautiful standing ears. They are brother and sister out of Russian lines. Voltage is the boy, and Vengeance is the girl. I lost 2 of my boston great danes to bloat this year, one was 9 and the other was 3. I also lost my pit bull whom was 11, to congestive heart failure. My 8 year old harle is on his way out too and can't walk as well as he used to. I know his time is near. I don't know how I have stayed out of hospital through all this death this year. There was a time I wish I died with them. Dr's gave me some amazing medications to get through the grieving and I am finally feeling like myself again. But these new kids are truly bringing me out of the depths of hell and even getting my old boy alot more chipper! I love my danes more than life itself. In fact I have all 5 of my dogs tattooed on my arm in portraits. I plan to get these two kids on the other arm. No kids, just dogs! They are my everything, my reason for breathing! Voltage is on the left, Vengeance is on the right, and my big ol boy Poison who turns 8 in 1 month!

are you getting these two guys plexi'd I'd think with the history if the last two. Were these dogs all related?
    Sounds like you have a big crew, enjoy them.

Comment

No I won't be. And no, none of my dogs were related. Only these 2 Euro's, they are brother and sister.

Comment

LOVE HARLS! sorry about your doggie losses this year.. must have been rough for you.
        sigpic

my beautiful blue-eyed babe

Comment

Just curious, after losing 2 dogs to bloat why wouldn't you want to pexy any future dogs?
          sigpic
          Dreamer, Lennon, and Nathan lounging at Nanny's house.

Of all the things I've lost...I miss my Danes the most..

Comment

Originally posted by lennonsmommy View Post
            Just curious, after losing 2 dogs to bloat why wouldn't you want to pexy any future dogs?
            Because it doesn't prevent bloat. It will happen regardless if you tack or not. It's my personal decision and I stand by it. Thank you for asking!

Comment

For anyone else reading this thread for education purposes, pexying DOES prevent the second and more deadly part of bloat which is torsion, the twisting of the stomach, and can buy you valuable time to rush your dog to the vet. Just a heads up. And you are obviously entitled to your opinion, not starting anything.
              ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

So sorry for all of your losses! What beautiful dogs and I hope to see many more pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
                sigpic
                Paula
                Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
                Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                  For anyone else reading this thread for education purposes, pexying DOES prevent the second and more deadly part of bloat which is torsion, the twisting of the stomach, and can buy you valuable time to rush your dog to the vet. Just a heads up. And you are obviously entitled to your opinion, not starting anything.
                  I wouldn't say it does prevent it, but it surely can prevent it. I have heard of 2 cases in the last year, from an RCMP where I live, whose 2 great danes both bloated with twisted gut and died, and they were tacked. The tack did not even hold during the bloat. That was when I decided I would not put my guys through it.

Comment

Considering the exception, rather than the rule, isn't very sound logic. Your dogs, your choice, your burden. The larger(by far) number of Danes owned by members with good tacks that take rarely bloat, and almost never torse. Once again, posted for other members who might be newer and deciding on a pexy, not a comment on your choices. Different vets have better and worse outcomes depending on the type of pexy they perform and how experienced they are at the surgery.

Comment

From my readings, I believe this is true...there is no bloat/no torsion in the majority. Of those that bloat, the majority is no torsion. Of the bloat and torsion, mortality rate is approximately 33%, between <50% and >20%. Of the mortalities, 50% died before receiving treatment and the remaining represents the 20% that did not survive the surgery.

Its not fair to criticize a choice because of the exceptions. The individual merely places a higher/lower importance on the assessed level of risks.

I myself follow my decades old relationship with my vet who feels that bloat leading to torsion is hereditary but the environment is the trigger. I have been lucky with my Danes to experience bloat, not lasting long but never torsion. In weighing the risk, the invasive surgery is a powerful disincentive.

Comment

Update on my Euro's!

Well, my babies are now 12 weeks and 2 days old. Both had their 2nd set of shots already, and in a month we go back again, plus remove a dew claw off my girl that didn't get done proper.

I took the posts down today on my girl Vengeance, and her ears are standing nice so far. They were just down for a few hours to clean, air out and then back up they went. I know that they have a ways to go, and probably will fall as she has her growth spurts but I do believe with the style of crop, the shape and size, that she will be up in lightning speed.

Her brother on the other hand, I took 1 ear down, just to see. UGH..they flop down the side of his face. He has a much different style of crop and it's a show crop done by a different vet. His is long, hers is short, sort of a pet crop. Oh well, longest I have had to tape one of my danes, who was a Euro too, was 18 months. But they stood! Never had a flop crop in all 4 of my danes, so number 5 and 6 should be a breeze! I hope!

Two pics of Vengeance my female Euro. Pretty lil thing!

Comment

They are so adorable!!! Makes me miss when Takoa was a puppy!!
                          sigpic
                          There Is Nothing Like A Dane!!!!!!
                          Cheech~Chihuahua~5/26/98-4/23/10
                          Valentina~Merle Dane~11/1/03-2/3/12
                          Emalee~12 1/2 yrs Red Doberman
                          Takoa~2 1/2 yrs ~Harlequin Dane
                          Sunshine~11 3/4 yr Orange Tabby

Comment

Awwww!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
                            sigpic
                            Paula