X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ajeffreys95
    started a topic New member/Fresh Surgery

New member/Fresh Surgery

Hi!! I am a new member to this site and I was just looking for a little bit of info. I just got my 11 week old Dane's ears cropped (pet crop) yesterday. We brought her home and she's doing great! But they did not send us home with any type of taping/post. They said they allow 10 days to heal and then I will bring her back, they will remove stitches, and THEN we will begin the taping process. I have called other vets on my area who ALSO do this method. But from a lot of online research.. I see that most pups come home with some sort of apparatus to help them stand. I am new to this so I just wanted to get experienced opinions on if y'all think this looks like a well done crop.. And also, a rough estimate on how long it will take to stand. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376172772.671875.jpg

This pic is with one ear flopping back. Neither are standing right now of course.

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    Just wanted to share with everyone who helped me out in this thread.. That Rosie's ears have healed up pretty well from the infection she had. Her vet said due to her super sensitive skin I should change them twice a week instead of once. (Which is not a problem since she's so rough on them they get changed about 3 or 4 times a week) here she is with her best buddy and main reason her ears get pulled down all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Leave a comment:

• saharadane
    replied
    My Opinion: Let the ear dry out. Clean ears and then let them dry. When you tape, make sure you are using a porous tape like Zonas Porous tape. Don't tape the entire ear. Don't put the posts down into the ear canal. Don't tape unhealed edges. The pictures showing tape way down the ears are way too much tape. When that much tape is wrapped around the ear, the ears can't breathe and you get gooey stuff. When I tape, there is a piece of tape that goes up the center of the ear to hold the stiffner, a piece over the tip, and about 3 pieces around the base. Nothing around the ear on the edges.

Leave a comment:

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    Noticed a funky smell.. Took off Rosie's tape and there was some green sticky pus. She has a tiny scab on the top of her ear where it was coming from. Should I put some antibiotic ointment on and retape? Or call the vet? They're standing for now.. But I don't want to do any damage by leaving them free too long! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377286035.579076.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• CarolB
    replied
    ears

Yes, it looks o.k.

Leave a comment:

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    Well referring to my "should I retake the crooked ears" question.. Rosie decided for me. I came home yesterday and both ears were stuck out to the side with streamers of tape hanging from them. I then had to do my very first taping job. Does this look okay? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377099271.369381.jpg

Leave a comment:

• CarolB
    replied
    ears

No, leave them up. It won't affect how they stand.

Leave a comment:

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    Got her taped today. She wiggled so much they had to call in back up to hold her! Lol. They seem cocked to one side though. Do y'all think this will affect how they stand? Should I take them down and retape?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376957261.255444.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376957301.672094.jpg

Leave a comment:

• danemommd
    replied
    I agree with what's been advised already...let it heal then worry about taping.
    They're short and will probably stand easily

Leave a comment:

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    Originally posted by HarlequinHorror View Post
    Oh yes, they look more like the Dane shape. Perhaps it was the angle of the photo before. Short, yes, but less bell and more 'daney' than I thought.
    I'll post pics along the way. Hopefully due to the short length I will have less tape time.

Leave a comment:

• HarlequinHorror
    replied
    Oh yes, they look more like the Dane shape. Perhaps it was the angle of the photo before. Short, yes, but less bell and more 'daney' than I thought.

Leave a comment:

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    Originally posted by CausticWit View Post
    Some people have to post for months. I gave her ear massages nightly the way he showed me, starting at the bell and pulling up to the tip.
    I have been massaging them twice a day & think its actually helping a lot! Her ears are shaping up quite nicely. Still a little wide and short.. But I'm not as worried as I was. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376360468.393727.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    Originally posted by CausticWit View Post
    Should be fine, you'll love her regardless. Get the food situation figured our?
    I posted a new thread in the kibble section for any info I could get!

Leave a comment:

• CausticWit
    replied
    Should be fine, you'll love her regardless. Get the food situation figured our?

Leave a comment:

• Ajeffreys95
    replied
    He said they would have to be done short and wide.. I just didn't think THIS short and wide. I think she's such a beautiful girl I will certainly do my very best to tape and post correctly so that they will look as good as they possibly can now that the cropping has been done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X