New member/Fresh Surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member/Fresh Surgery

Hi!! I am a new member to this site and I was just looking for a little bit of info. I just got my 11 week old Dane's ears cropped (pet crop) yesterday. We brought her home and she's doing great! But they did not send us home with any type of taping/post. They said they allow 10 days to heal and then I will bring her back, they will remove stitches, and THEN we will begin the taping process. I have called other vets on my area who ALSO do this method. But from a lot of online research.. I see that most pups come home with some sort of apparatus to help them stand. I am new to this so I just wanted to get experienced opinions on if y'all think this looks like a well done crop.. And also, a rough estimate on how long it will take to stand. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376172772.671875.jpg

This pic is with one ear flopping back. Neither are standing right now of course.

Also.. I DID talk with several vets in my area. He was highly recommended by friends of mine with dobies & pits and he apparently has a lot of experience with danes ears. I saw pictures.. But I do not know anyone personally who owns a dane. They are so uncommon in my area that the closest reputable breeder I could find was 2 hours away.

Comment

Danes go home taped and posted. No idea why he does it differently. At 11 weeks it's going to be harder to get a set and keep it already. I would go get supplies and get the ears taped if it were me. Search the forum for zip tie. That method isn't too difficult and seems pretty effective. Granted its been 12 years since I had a cropped baby. Her ears were set in three weeks and never flopped, even during teething. But I had a vet(now retired) that people drove to from all over for crops. Some people have to post for months. I gave her ear massages nightly the way he showed me, starting at the bell and pulling up to the tip. Hopefully some if the show breeders can chime in to help you

Comment

I'm so afraid to do any type of posting just because I have no idea how to do it. I don't want to hurt her or damage the stitches. I may try the ear massages until I take her back though. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Search Great Dane ear taping on you tube

Comment

From the looks of the crop it appears to be very short and wide on bell.. Maybe it's just the picture, but that does not appear to be a typical Dane crop, pet or not. Could be the vet is not experienced with cropping Danes and that's why you see differences to others online.
            sigpic

Comment

Do NOT do any type of posting right now. Your pup's ears need to heal and stitches need to be removed first. The edges need to be exposed. Most pups ears are glued to a cup-like cone on top of their heads or sometimes they are folded back and taped over their head. The main reason is to secure the ears so that they can heal correctly. I don't *think* when they are taped to the cup that they are really doing much as far as support for standing, more to keep them out of the way and at risk for scraping them against something and hindering the healing process. (But I could be wrong...more experienced will chime in.) As of now, be very diligent that she's not scratching at her ears and messing with them.

Cute pup! I'm no expert, but it's hard to tell in the pic how her crop will turn out...look a bit short and looks like there might be a little too much bell left, but they are floppy, so not sure. As far as how long to post, it depends on a lot of factors like the crop of course, ear leather, and how diligent you are at posting...mine was done at 6 months...but we were very good about taping.

Good luck and welcome to DOL...more experienced folks will chime in.
              Last edited by NMDane; 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM. Reason: Added welcome...
              sigpic

Comment

I thought they looked a little short and wide myself! He DID tell me they would have to be done a little shorter and wider for hers to stand.. Due to her "ear leather" but I'm thinking if they're this short now.. They'll be REALLY short when she's an adult. But there's unfortunately no going back now. I just want to make sure I give her the perfect after care and that she heals happily and they look as good as they can!

Comment

These are her little ears relaxed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376181836.681640.jpg

Comment

Just do what your vet says I guess.
                    I do have to ask tho, what is she eating? Maybe it's camera angle but I see alot of ribs. On a growing pup 2 ribs, no hip bones, and a nice tuck is the goal.

Comment

I'm glad you said something about that! She eats 4 cups a day and I cannot get her to gain any weight! She eats purina pro plan (large breed puppy) which her breeder recommended & said she feeds all of her danes. If it helps.. She's 15 at the shoulder right now. But I'm not sure about weight. I guess I need to buy a scale!

Comment

The poor thing is so thin someone has even asked me if she had worms. And she is up to date on shots of course and has had no problems at her physical exams.

Comment

Ok. Go to the kibble forum and start some reading . I'm not going to waste my breath about the breeder. Puppy food is bad with a few exceptions( those being high end grain free foods) there are alot of great options for different budgets. Your area will determine selection, but there are also several online stores with free shipping. Definitely get off the purina. You will want to mix the food at first as you transition. Several members have details posted about the whys and how's of kibble for Danes. Faust is always a good one to read posts from.

Comment

Okay will do! Thank you so much. You have been a great help!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ajeffreys95 View Post
                              I thought they looked a little short and wide myself! He DID tell me they would have to be done a little shorter and wider for hers to stand.. Due to her "ear leather" but I'm thinking if they're this short now.. They'll be REALLY short when she's an adult. But there's unfortunately no going back now. I just want to make sure I give her the perfect after care and that she heals happily and they look as good as they can!

Ear leather can make a huge difference in what kind of crop the vet will do. Doing a long skinny crop on a dane with super soft ear leather (like my natural-eared black) would have resulted in a crop flop no matter how much I taped. The vet SHOULD have told you he was going to have to crop wide and short before he did it...but maybe he didn't realize how soft her ears were until surgery time.
                              Tracy
                              sigpic
                              Mouse April 2010
                              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X