Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cropping at 5 months can it be done?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK.......seen the pic.
    Call me a skeptic, but:
    1) cant see the whole ear........who is to say someone isnt holding the ear up? The way that it is bent at a critical area, its hard to believe these ears stand on their own.
    2) this looks more like a bull terrier then a Dane.

Cropping at 5 months old should not be an option. The crop would have to be way to short and the ears at this point to vacular and the cartilage broke at the base.

OP..........learn about the Great Dane breed and next time buy a pup that is a good represenation of the breed.
    Carolyn
    Divine Acres Great Danes
    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
      OK.......seen the pic.
      Call me a skeptic, but:
      1) cant see the whole ear........who is to say someone isnt holding the ear up? The way that it is bent at a critical area, its hard to believe these ears stand on their own.

Cropping at 5 months old should not be an option. The crop would have to be way to short and the ears at this point to vacular and the cartilage broke at the base.

OP..........learn about the Great Dane breed and next time buy a pup that is a good represenation of the breed.
      I'm in total agreement with your scepticism, Carolyn. Coming from a breed that up ears are mandatory, and 20 years experience looking at ears in person and pictures, I would say someone's holding that ear up. With that kink, it's not going up on it's own. The other ear is going at a totally differant angle, but it's not going up. Looking at the ear leather alone tells me they aren't going to stand. However, miracles do happen and the OP is welcome to post a picture that shows both ears entirely free standing. I'm open to being wrong.

Nor would I look at this dog and associate it in any way with a Dane, even a mix. I see no point in attempting a crop on this dog, at this age, nor do I know any ethical vets who would do it. JMHO
      Lisa

NOS finally wore himself out. Whew!
      sigpic

Comment

<<I see no point in attempting a crop on this dog, at this age, nor do I know any ethical vets who would do it.>>

And I agree with this statement.
        If you found a vet who would crop this pup, at this age, I would like to see his credentials.
        Carolyn
        Divine Acres Great Danes
        Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post

Bull terrier mix of some sort is the FIRST thing that came to my mind too. The flat plane of the head and wideness / flatness across the nose portion of the face certainly doesn't say dane.

Cute dog though, dane or otherwise!!
          Last edited by Angel7292; 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Looks like about half of the Danes we get from Iowa for rescue! I swear the fawn merles and fawniquins are an epidemic there. Most of them are small and look like they have something else in them but some will come with registration papers. We did have an adult male that came into rescue (fawn merle, unneutered from IA) whose ears stood straight up like that. Only when he was excited and the base was kind of kinked like that. He was adorable but so goofy looking. I'm not sure if someone tried to tape his ears up without cropping him. If the OP's dog were mine, I'd be taping those ears down.
            Julie
            Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
            RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
            Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with carolyn. That dogs ears dont appear to be standing by themselves. Get a whole head and body shot and ill believe you. Ya this sometimes happens but u can see his ears actually do have a fold. Their probably wonky ears but by that picture it does not appalear that they are standing on their own.
              sigpic Little boy!

Comment

He is a purebred and he is registered I ensure you I was not holding his ear he holds ears like that when he is curious about something and wants to know what it is

Comment

Shalee - I'm glad to see young members taking an interest in learning about Danes. You are still very young and have a lot to learn. A backyard breeder is a type of breeder..just like a puppy mill breeder. There's varying degrees. Puppy mill breeders are the worst, then backyard breeders, then "Oops" breeders (accident litters). Backyard breeders are hobby breeders. They can talk the talk, but they can't walk the walk if you will. I have YET to meet a BYB who doesn't get defensive if asked either too many questions or questions they can't answer. Some are really good liars and will make up answers. These are really dangerous BYB's because their answers could seriously harm a pup. BYB's are salesman. They don't care about you, they barely care about their puppies. They want money...that's it! Registration by itself doesn't mean a darn thing. It's a piece of paper. AKC reps don't physically see the puppies to varify they are pure. They see a registration form and a check...and that's all they care about.

In the other pictures that you've posted on Danes Online (branch off of this forum), your pup has "nun ears." This does not necessarily mean that he can hold them up if cut..especially at 5 months. He has a very odd shaped face anyway, so I'd think that a crop job would make him look even more awkward...and that would be with a good crop job. Can you imagine what a bad crop job would look like? The people who own Tucker's sister got her ears done, and they look AWFUL!!! The best I can describe it would be an Australian Cattle Dog type ear on a Dane. She looks goofy and was SO much cuter when they were natural. Once you crop, there's no going back!!!
                  ~ Erin ~
                  "People don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it. And what you do simply proves what you believe." - Simon Sinek
                  sigpic

Comment

There is a Dane pup on Instagram with natural ears that stand. Both ears. It looks very odd- I would tape them down for a more natural earset.
                    As for cropping at 5 months? No way. And I wouldn't trust the vet willing to do it. Your pup doesn't have a standard Dane head so a crop may not be very flattering. As said earlier- once you crop you can't go back.
                    ETA: I have no problem with wonky ears. Logan has flying nun ears and I love them. Emma has the super flat houndy type ears and I love them too.
                    Last edited by thisiscyndi; 11-21-2012, 11:31 AM.
                    "I don’t care if a dog is 150 pounds or 10 pounds, and whether the issue is leash manners or biting visitors. There are no dogs who need a heavier hand—there are only trainers who need more knowledge and a lighter touch." Suzanne Clothier
                    sigpic
                    Rocky & Emma
                    Follow our adventures at
                    www.instagram.com/spottedangels

Comment

I would start taping them down so they look more like a nice natural ear set for an uncropped Dane. There is directions on how to do it HERE. I'd love to see more pics of your puppy. He's looks like a sweetie.
                      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
                      X