Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cropping at 5 months can it be done?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cropping at 5 months can it be done?????

Hi I have a pup who is 5 months and I would really like to get his ears cropped in a show type crop but I would like too know if anyone has done it before and what the result is/was. Thanks

Nope. The only crop that *might* stand would be a short pitbull type crop, which would look awful on a dane. Most vets won't crop past 12 weeks, some as late as 16, but I've never heard of a dane being done at 5 months.
    Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
    Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

It can be done and there are vets who will do it, usually after advising against it.

However, I strongly recommend against it. The chances of a successful crop at that age are very low. A long show crop, chances are that much lower.

As Kayla said, the best chance would be a short crop but IMO I would rather see natural ears than a pit crop on a Great Dane...
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry, five months is far too late in my opinion and in most vets opinion for a Great Dane crop. It would be more traumatic now and it would have to be very, very short for it to ever stand which would look much worse than a nice natural ear anyway.
        sigpic

Comment

ok I just thought since he can hold his natural ears all the way up that a crop wouldn't be a big deal.....

Comment

Originally posted by shaleemouse@Yahoo.com View Post
            ok I just thought since he can hold his natural ears all the way up that a crop wouldn't be a big deal.....
            What do you mean? Do you have a pic?
            sigpic

Comment

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/shalees...ff/8200769776/ that's the best picture I could get since he can't hold still lol hope the link works....

Comment

The link doesn't work. I don't know anything about cropping but isn't doing it at 5 months also more stressful on the dog? Also, any surgery is dangerous, would you really want to put your dog at risk just for cropped ears?
                sigpic
                Hamish: Great Dane born July 25 2011
                Sophie: English Mastiff born May 30 2009
                Visit my blog at http://gonetothebigdogs.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Anna N' Hamish View Post
                  The link doesn't work. I don't know anything about cropping but isn't doing it at 5 months also more stressful on the dog? Also, any surgery is dangerous, would you really want to put your dog at risk just for cropped ears?
                  Link works for me, this is the pic

Personally even though he can hold his ears up like that, I wouldn't do it.. I think it would be more traumatic at this age and it still wouldn't be very likely that a long show crop would stand at this age I don't think
                  sigpic

Comment

If that's him at 5 months... he looks fairly small. Is he purebred!?

I don't think I've ever seen a natural eared Dane be able to do that... or hear of them being able to do that.

Did you have him before 5 months? Or did you just get him? If you had him before... what made you decide that you may want to crop now?!

Even if someone taped him without cropping.... natural Dane ears should be too heavy to do that should they not?!

Does he hold them up like that all the time? Or just went intent and focussed? Looks like they're being held lol Baffles my mind!
                    sigpic
                    Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
                    Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
                    Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

I was going to say the same thing ... doesn't look purebred, very small, strange coloring. That color isn't even a standard color from the looks of it so there is really no reason to crop, esp show crop.
                      sigpic
                      Merlin and Rexi

Comment

He doesnt look like a purebred!? My pup is 5 months and at that age vets dont recommend it. He's cute the way he is. Cropping is very time consuming and takes some practice. Not only that but you may have to take weeks to months in tapping to get them to stand right and this starts when they are young. No guarantees if you do it at 5 months.
                        sigpicMy blue baby Denali-8 1/2 months and my brindle girl Dova-4 months

Comment

Originally posted by muffy View Post
                          I was going to say the same thing ... doesn't look purebred, very small, strange coloring. That color isn't even a standard color from the looks of it so there is really no reason to crop, esp show crop.
                          I GUESS it could be a fawn merle.... so BYB that shouldn't have been crossed.
                          The face doesn't look Dane to me though... and the width of the front legs look pretty thin and paws are smallish.

I'm guessing a cross of some sort ESPECIALLY if it's holding natural ears up like that.
                          sigpic
                          Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
                          Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
                          Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
                            I GUESS it could be a fawn merle.... so BYB that shouldn't have been crossed.
                            The face doesn't look Dane to me though... and the width of the front legs look pretty thin and paws are smallish.

I'm guessing a cross of some sort ESPECIALLY if it's holding natural ears up like that.
                            That was my thinking too. Word for word.
                            sigpic
                            Merlin and Rexi

Comment

Eh, the pic isnt enough for me to tell purebred or not. Not to standard but doesnt necessarily mean mix. Looks like a possible fawn merle?

I have heard of some danes having ears that stand at times.

I do not know about the age, my assumption would be no but if you go to a vet that REALLY knows dane cropping, they would be the ones with the best answer, being able to see/feel the ear and all.

Personally, I don't like cropping so would avoid it for that reason

Comment

Working...
                              X