up a week,down a week???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• up a week,down a week???

i got my danes eara cropped on 9-26. she came home with floppy stitched ears, i brought her back 9 days later to get her stitches out. the vet said he wanted the ears down for another 10 days to make sure the holes from the stitches heald before he would start taping them. i left state right after that and had her ears taped my another vet in florida. now im back in NC and i took her to the vet this morning to get her ears taped (they had been up for 10 days, and were getting really dirty) when i got to the vet today he said he wants them down for a week before he will tape them. he said the rule of thumb is up for a week, then down for a week.
    ...does that sound right?
    her ears have been down since 8 this morning. i dont know what to do. heres what they look like now, its been about 4 hrs.

That's news to me

Comment

Some people do that method. I do not. I get them up and keep them up and only cease taping if I'm working around a sore or something. My reasoning is "why waste time leaving them down a week to get floppy?".

Just tell the vet you want them up all the time, with perhaps a day between tapings to air out. If he won't oblige, find a new vet...
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

I also would not leave them down for a full week. I would do a week up and down for a day.
        sigpic
        Stephanie..... Owned by
        Hudson -2yr old GD
        Macee-16 month old GD
        Red- Forever will be missed!

Comment

In the beginning I only leave them down for a few hours. As they get older and the ears get stronger I leave them down longer. The first sign that they're falling and they go back up. Riddle is almost 8 months and is soo close to being finished. What I've noticed with him is that his ears actually droop the worst when they first come out of tapes. I took them down on the 25th before a show and they drooped pretty good for the first show that weekend. They've been down since and actually look better now than they did that weekend.
          Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
          Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by kayla baxter View Post
            In the beginning I only leave them down for a few hours. As they get older and the ears get stronger I leave them down longer. The first sign that they're falling and they go back up. Riddle is almost 8 months and is soo close to being finished. What I've noticed with him is that his ears actually droop the worst when they first come out of tapes. I took them down on the 25th before a show and they drooped pretty good for the first show that weekend. They've been down since and actually look better now than they did that weekend.

Too funny, Athena's do the exact same thing. Right out of tapes, they are terrible. A few hours later - MUCH better!
            *Jennifer*
            sigpic

Comment

I've never heard down a week... that sounds like terrible advice.
              sigpic
              <, and Stef
              <'
              What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

i tried taping them back up myself, but she always shakes right out of it. i think its the tape (its the kind that sticks better to itself than hair/skin). do any of you have any recommendations as far as thats concerned?
                thanks a lot everyone!!

Comment

There are videos on Youtube...try searching Summitview. I only use Johnson & Johnson Zonas Pourus tape or Kendall Curity Pourus. I never leave ears down in the beginning more than an hour or so. Every day left down, adds a week of taping.
                  sigpic
                  Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                  Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                  www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                    There are videos on Youtube...try searching Summitview.
                    You recommended those videos to me as well. After looking them up, I implemented that method, and it worked extremely well. There are three videos. The YouTube videos will show up at the top of a google search if you search: summit view taping.

Anyways, I this method and the videos are wonderful. Thanks again for telling me about it!
                    sigpic
                    <, and Stef
                    <'
                    What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

They aren't exactly how I now tape, but are great resources for new tapers, or if you haven't taped in several years and need a refresher!
                      sigpic
                      Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                      Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

We would never leave the ear untapped only if we had a sore but even then we worked the tape around it..Good Luck!
                        Asiasigpic

Comment

update..

i just got Riley home from the vet for her re-tape....this is how the vet taped her ears! i brought up one leaning to the side he said it'd be fine, then he said after this week of taping he doest think she'll need to be taped anymore. her left ear had completly fallen this morning(it looked like it had NEVER been taped). i dont think this guy knows what hes talking about anymore.

Comment

Oh dear. I think you need to find a new taper...

I can't even see the picture but I don't think I need to.
                            *Jennifer*
                            sigpic

Comment

Where in NC are you located?

Dr. Bill is in NC... wonder if you are close enough to go to him?
                              *Jennifer*
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X