Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First taping job..any recommendations??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First taping job..any recommendations??

    Please feel free to pick it apart. Do you see any areas that should be corrected or have any recommendations??
    Attached Files

  • #2
    This is how we tape ears
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PnfGYJVL8&list=UUQhYXMRdreF4gMgRB7968ag& index=9&feature=plcp"]Taping Einstein's ears - YouTube[/ame]

    I don't think you did a bad job, I just like to see the edges of the ears open to the air.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I still don't know which method I prefer... full tapes of partial tapes.

      For the method you have chosen, looks like you've done a pretty decent job.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you for the responses!! = )

        I'm new to the process and I'm sure there are a bunch of different ways. I'd love to hear everyone's way. For Brinks, my vet left them open for one week after the surgery until the stitches were removed. Then she fully taped them. I was not able to see my vet tape, so I watched the Summit View YouTube videos and followed their method.

        I have never seen the open taping. What is the advantage??

        Comment


        • #5
          I prefer the zip tie, less tape method. Much easier on the pup and does the job.

          Difference with my method and the video: I use zonas porous tape around the base. It is a softer more flexible tape. I also use zonas porous tape for the zip time. I do use the transpore tape up and over the ears.
          Zonas Porous tape is available in medical supply stores or ordered from Walgreens.

          I leave this taping on for a week unless it starts to fall off. I always use an adhesive remover to remove the tape. It is easier on the pup. Doesn't pull off the hair. If the tape is on for a week, it will come off a lot easier than if taken off after only a few days. Then leave the tape off for the day, clean ears and retape. As the ears begin to stand, you can increase the time the ears are left untaped.

          One thing she mentioned on the video, but worth repeating....after the ears are taped they are in a 10:00 2:00 position - not straight up. This helps avoid getting pockets at the base of the ears which make the ears tip into each other.

          Also, I think the brace between the ears is too short and heavy. Only needs one piece of tape from ear to ear. Keep the brace loose enough for the pup to be able to move the ears. Your pups is holding ears up. Don't want to train them to pull into the center.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by InLoveWithBrinks View Post
            Thank you for the responses!! = )

            I'm new to the process and I'm sure there are a bunch of different ways. I'd love to hear everyone's way. For Brinks, my vet left them open for one week after the surgery until the stitches were removed. Then she fully taped them. I was not able to see my vet tape, so I watched the Summit View YouTube videos and followed their method.

            I have never seen the open taping. What is the advantage??
            It takes a little less work to do so it is easier on the pup and more ear is exposed so less chance of infection up under the tapes are two reasons. I prefer the Summit View method personally, but am still undecided on which method I am going to do on my girl.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree. It looks like they're leaning in. I was just thinking of cutting the middle out and re-taping it.

              I also would like to know how you decide if the tube is placed in the bell properly. I wanted to make sure the ear had air, but it looks like it could maybe sit a little lower. Thoughts?

              I like the idea of air getting to the ear with the open taping. Does the zip-tie really provide enough support? They seem so flimsy to me I'm afraid they'd fall.

              Originally posted by saharadane View Post
              I prefer the zip tie, less tape method. Much easier on the pup and does the job.

              Difference with my method and the video: I use zonas porous tape around the base. It is a softer more flexible tape. I also use zonas porous tape for the zip time. I do use the transpore tape up and over the ears.
              Zonas Porous tape is available in medical supply stores or ordered from Walgreens.

              I leave this taping on for a week unless it starts to fall off. I always use an adhesive remover to remove the tape. It is easier on the pup. Doesn't pull off the hair. If the tape is on for a week, it will come off a lot easier than if taken off after only a few days. Then leave the tape off for the day, clean ears and retape. As the ears begin to stand, you can increase the time the ears are left untaped.

              One thing she mentioned on the video, but worth repeating....after the ears are taped they are in a 10:00 2:00 position - not straight up. This helps avoid getting pockets at the base of the ears which make the ears tip into each other.

              Also, I think the brace between the ears is too short and heavy. Only needs one piece of tape from ear to ear. Keep the brace loose enough for the pup to be able to move the ears. Your pups is holding ears up. Don't want to train them to pull into the center.

              Comment


              • #8
                What type of tape do you use? I couldn't understand what was said in the video. Is it sports cloth tape? It looks like 1"?

                Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
                This is how we tape ears
                Taping Einstein's ears - YouTube

                I don't think you did a bad job, I just like to see the edges of the ears open to the air.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I prefer the less tape methods. It allows the ears to breathe better, which means less chance of gooies and infection.

                  I like J&J Zonas Porous and Kendall Curity Porous tapes. Either can be ordered through any major pharmacy or bought online.
                  Last edited by lwrees72; 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM. Reason: Added Tapes
                  sigpic
                  Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                  Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                  www.lokenigreatdanes.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by InLoveWithBrinks View Post
                    What type of tape do you use? I couldn't understand what was said in the video. Is it sports cloth tape? It looks like 1"?
                    We use Nexcare Durapore tape. Love it.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've always used this method and never had any issues with getting ears to stand properly:

                      http://www.sunstrike-great-danes.com/education/ears.pdf

                      I've never taped up the whole ear like you have in your pictures. Too much of a chance for infections, the ears need to breathe.
                      Last edited by kwhit; 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM.
                      Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I took the full tape off and let them rest for a day and will be attempting open taping tonight. It looks like it might be easier than the full and I'm sure my little man will appreciate less tape. Thank you all for your advice!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am by no means an expert, but we've had great success after plenty of trial and error.

                          In the beginning, my poor pup battled with a HORRIBLE reaction to Kendall-Covidian brand tape, so I've got a big box of that just collecting dust in the bathroom closet. We tried a few other brands, but ended up with Johnson & Johnson Zonas porous tape. Love that stuff. We use the J&J Zonas for all ear taping now.

                          I've tried the ziptie method a few times, and even some silly popsicle stick method once, but always kept going back to the Summit View method. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the ziptie method and I'm sure it has its benefits over the Summit View, but we have just found it didn't work so well for us.

                          I think it ultimately comes down to what's most comfortable and easy for you and your puppy. My boy is totally comfortable with the full ear wrap and I change them every week(Unisolve is a godsend adhesive remover- you'll love it!) with no issues and his ears are looking fantastic! If you're a bit worried about your posting and taping job, you can always redo them. If I had a dollar for everytime I retaped because it just didn't look good enough to me, I could pay off my truck.

                          The rule of thumb on post placement in the ear is where the bottom of the post rests on the button in your dog's ear. The button is that small nub that is in the center of the bell of the ear. Use it almost like a shelf when you put the post in, so it sits right on top. Another tip that really helped me was to always remember to pull up and away from the head so you avoid any buckling in the ear or pockets.

                          Again, I learned how to post and tape only four months ago, so I'm no professional! But your post/tape job looks good to me, especially being your first attempt! I'll tell ya, my first try looked awful, but yours looks really good. It's already been mentioned, but the only thing I'd change is the length of the bridge. You want the ears to look more \_/ instead of |_| if that makes any sense.

                          Good luck and keep up the good work! After putting all the time and effort, you'll be delighted when you see your pup's ears stand =D


                          ~Dana~
                          Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
                          sigpic

                          Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            One thing I did with Henry was that I would wrap first in paper tape and then go over it with the zonas. The paper tape comes off MUCH easier, but it doesn't hold its shape over time well enough to actually work for the whole job. Having that thin later underneath meant it was super easy to get them off and I never had gooies that way, for what it's worth.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank you Dana for sharing your experiences. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that's had trouble with this. It's scary that you could potentially ruin the crop with cruddy taping. Thanks to this forum I have much more confidence in my capabilities. When I took his ears out from the full taping they stood really well. I think that we are on the right path. The only thing I seem to have trouble with is the bridge. That's a work in progress.

                              Also, thank you for the idea of using the paper tape with athletic tape on top. The first time i used athletic tape it pulled off all of his hair. It definitely did not seem like he enjoyed that, so I tried paper tape. When I tried just the paper tape he pulled it off in a day! This time with the open taping I uses the pores tape. If I go back to the full wrap I'll give the athletic over paper a try.

                              Thank you!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X