Untaped ears lean in and touch tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untaped ears lean in and touch tips

My 4 month old pup's ears tips touch eachother when I untape them. They don't touch constantly but occassionally they will. I attached a picture.. am I taping wrong? :\

I forgot to add.. they mostly only touch when he's alert.

Comment

Try tugging them up and slightly out when you tape them.
      sigpic

Comment

ok, I tried tugging and pulling them outward while taping, hopefully I did it right..I guess we will see how they look when I retape

Comment

They should turn out just fine once he grows into his head. I would use a firm, strong bridge between them so that they can't fall in together while posted. As long as you are pulling up and out when you tape them, you should be just fine.
          *Jennifer*
          Member GDC of Mid-Florida
          sigpic

Comment

What would I use as a firm bridge? Right now I just use tape.

Comment

We use tape for a bridge. I suppose you could use a thin piece of card stock or a light cardboard.
              This is how I tape ears~
              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PnfGYJVL8&list=UUQhYXMRdreF4gMgRB7968ag& index=9&feature=plcp"]Taping Einstein's ears - YouTube[/ame]
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by puppy_love View Post
                What would I use as a firm bridge? Right now I just use tape.
                I take long strands of tape and run them from ear to ear and then take several shorter strips of tape and wrap around the bridge to strengthen it. You can also use popsicle sticks or cardboard pieces, anything really.
                *Jennifer*
                Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                sigpic

Comment

I found some card stock and it works well.. Before his ears would somtimes cross over eachother while they were taped and I haven't seen them do it yet with the cardstock in the middle. Thanks so much!!

Comment

Today I untaped his ears and I let him in the backyard for ten minutes with no tape on and he came back with the upper halves of his ears swollen. The left side has gotten slightly smaller but the right side is still swollen. What can I do to help the swelling go down and what do you think could have caused this? When I untaped them they were normal until I let him outside.

Comment

Originally posted by puppy_love View Post
                      Today I untaped his ears and I let him in the backyard for ten minutes with no tape on and he came back with the upper halves of his ears swollen. The left side has gotten slightly smaller but the right side is still swollen. What can I do to help the swelling go down and what do you think could have caused this? When I untaped them they were normal until I let him outside.
                      I'm going to say that the tapes are too tight.
                      Circulation was partially cut off... and when you took the tapes off it allowed normal blood flow to resume so they swelled up.
                      sigpic
                      Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
                      Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
                      Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

omg.. I feel so bad I've heard of people taping to tight and it cuts off circulation.. I didn't think I was taping that tight! His left ear is normal now and his right ear is getting better. I'll be more careful about taping.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

The right ear is like bent over and still swollen a little bit.. should I glue the post in and not tape it? I'm afraid of the ear cartilage breaking? I've heard that can happen but not sure how.

Comment

Today his ears returned to normal. I was so afraid with the bent ear but I just left them alone overnight.

Comment

You need to retape going under the chin, pulling the ears apart.... no bridge.
                              alternate this from week to week. Once the head grows this will also help.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X