Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No need to tape?

Hi all.

Okay, so once again we are pretty confused.

My husband took Samson to the vet today, to have the stitches out of his left ear taken out. Suprisingly, the Dr. came out to tell him that he wouldn't need to tape Samson's ears up at all. He said that they're already standing up, so he wouldn't need to do so. The vet just told the mister to "try and get his attention to perk up his ears, with treats and such". He simply stated that he wished all the dogs ears that he cropped, stood up right away as Samsons did.

Now, this is our first dane, but something seems amiss here.

Is it even possible for this to happen? It's only been about two weeks since his ears have been cropped, so I find this simply amazing considering that the norm seems to be around 3-6 months.

Weird. Can you post pics of the ears?
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, weird. I second the picture. No posting ever?
      sigpic
      <, and Stef
      <'
      What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Yes, very strange indeed.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. He's not going to be a show dog, so we don't mind this so much, but they never asked how long we wanted the crop. They're on the shorter side.

I could only get a few pictures... he's so playful it's hard to get him to stay still!
        Attached Files

Comment

They are extremely wide so that helps hold them up, most Dane crops are not left with a large amount of bell and are taller so they need help standing. If your pup's ears aren't flopping I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I'm afraid your pup's going to have a pit bull type crop - short and wide. They look short now but will look much shorter when the pup grows into them.

They seem to be standing now but I can already see the tips are flimsy (notice the slight fold). You may only need to support the tips, breathe rite strips work well for tip support.
            *Jennifer*
            Member GDC of Mid-Florida
            sigpic

Comment

I'm really surprised that your vet never consulted with you about the length. I would still support the tips, they do look bendy.
              Katie & Scarlett
              sigpic

Comment

On second look, it's not just the tips that are folding - the base is folding over the head too.

I would DEFINITELY start taping ASAP, being sure to pull up and out from the base as you do. Who knows, you might be able to get a bit more length to them if you do it right...
                *Jennifer*
                Member GDC of Mid-Florida
                sigpic

Comment

The entire bases are folded in, they need to be posted desperately. At least they might straighten up a bit, but that is not a Dane crop. Sorry you got swindled by your inexperienced vet.
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                    The entire bases are folded in, they need to be posted desperately. At least they might straighten up a bit, but that is not a Dane crop. Sorry you got swindled by your inexperienced vet.
                    It's sad I wish vets who obviously know nothing of cropping specific breeds would just refrain from cropping at all...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                      On second look, it's not just the tips that are folding - the base is folding over the head too.

I would DEFINITELY start taping ASAP, being sure to pull up and out from the base as you do. Who knows, you might be able to get a bit more length to them if you do it right...
                      I agree 100%. Get those ears stretched out a tad and posted.

Another thought to consider - There is alot of ear left. I'm sure a more experienced vet who crops danes could "fix" this. Not that his ears won't stand, but they're definitely "wide".

Very cute puppy.
                      sigpic

Comment

We'd like to start taping if this is what we need to do. This is our first cropping (and GD), so we don't know how to tape at all. As a matter a fact, we were thinking the vet would show us today.

I'm not sure how to go about taping/posting his ears, but I do realize that there are taping videos on Youtube available, so we'll check those out. However, we're a little confused as to "pull up and out from the base"? How do we go about doing this?

And I appreciate all the comments! Thanks for letting us know about the ears. We did think that the ears were kind of on the shorter side, but this vet was the only one would could find who had "experience" with danes (from what we were told), so I guess you learn from experience. We probably will make the best with his ears now, just so he doesn't have to go through more pain with his ears.

Comment

Originally posted by devinedane View Post
                          However, we're a little confused as to "pull up and out from the base"? How do we go about doing this?
                          This link shows how I've always taped ears. If you scroll down to page 6 and look at Figure 4 you'll see what is meant by "pulling up and out":

http://www.sunstrike-great-danes.com/education/ears.pdf
                          Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by devinedane View Post
                            As a matter a fact, we were thinking the vet would show us today.
                            You should watch the summitview youtube videos. Most likely the vet doesn't have a clue on how to tape if he/she did a crop like that on a Dane.

Martha
                            sigpic

Comment

I was wondering how they were doing with the posting. I hope they are doing it. Those ears will definitely look better when they are straight up. Good luck, OP, he's such a cutie.
                              ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Working...
                              X