Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ears cropped, stitches not removed?

Hi everyone

This is our first Great Dane, so we don't have any experience with ear cropping, so I was hoping that I could get a little feedback on our situation.

We took Samson to get his ears cropped last Tuesday, and just came back today from getting his stitches removed. However, they said that his left ear was a little swollen, and wouldn't be able to take the stitches out today. Therefore, we'll have to go back next Tuesday to get the stitches from his left ear removed. They didn't put a rack/cup or any bandages on him. His ears are just kind of propped on his head, with nothing holding them up. The tech said we should allow his ears to breathe, so they could heal. They suggested not to put anything on them at all, maybe just clean them with a little warm water by Thursday, if we wanted to.

So, what I'm wondering is... will it be okay for his ears to just go without anything on? Also, is it common for the stitches to remain in for almost two weeks? I might be being overly paranoid here, but I just want to make sure we're doing everything right.

Thanks for any input.

They will be fine. Just keep them clean so they can heal. Some people tape the ears to each other, laid across the top of the head. Some don't.

2 weeks is a perfectly normal amount of time to be in stitches. The earliest stitches usually come out is about 10 days, but IME it's usually closer to 2 weeks.

Don't stress about them being down right now. The incisions need to heal fully before they get posted and covered by tape.

Is he on antibiotics?
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

They didn't give us any.

He seems to be doing okay. From what I can see, he doesn't look like he's in pain. He's eating well, playful and hasn't pawed at them since we've been home.

Comment

Just watch the swelling. It could turn into a full-blown infection in which case I would insist on antibiotics. But he may be just fine without too...
        *Jennifer*
        Member GDC of Mid-Florida
        sigpic

Comment

Agreed. A few days without posting in the beginning is no big deal. Watch the swelling.
          sigpic
          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Don't worry about it. I had one that had an infection and the ears were not posted for 10bitches days. Once she was healed her ears stood in three months.

Hope this helps.
            sigpic

Comment

His ear seems to be healing okay, and I don't really see any swelling at this point. We will keep a watchful eye on it though.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
              X