help with a? please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a? please

Hi guys, Eve went today for her 3rd check up ( ears cropped 5 days ago )
    The vet was re taping until today. She took her ears down with what looks like breath right strips put inside the ear. She said not to bring her back unless they fall
    Or it was time for stiches to come out. I guess I am worried they are going to flop any
    time now! I just felt better when they were racked, but her sides needed to heal out of
    tape. ....will she be in tape again?

I would think breathe rite strips would not be strong enough to support a fresh crop. Those are usually very helpful at the very end if taping, mostly for the tips.

But I do think it's good for the incisions to be exposed to air.

Is your vet very experienced with Dane crops and taping? If so, I would just go with it and follow instructions. If not, I would use my own methods...
    *Jennifer*
    Member GDC of Mid-Florida
    sigpic

Comment

We didn't have Rupert's ears in posts until the stitches were out. His ears were taped together over his head so they looked very funky when we finally went to post them 10 days after his crop. It all worked out in the end. I don't think any crop should be in posts while the stitches are still in, they need time to heal without irritation.
      ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Out of curiosity... and because I want my next Dane cropped....

If I were to go out and get my pup (having already been cropped by the vet)... and fly home with him....

Does the pup generally stay with the breeder until stitches are out?
        Or what is the process if the pup still has the stitches in?

The reason I ask is because cropping is illegal in our province so there may be no vets inclined to help (although taking out stitches shouldn't be an issue).

What is the usual time line post crop?

Thanks Sorry to take over this thread! But it kind of goes along with the question IMO.
        sigpic
        Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
        Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
        Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

The vet owns Danes ( many years ) I know she is into showing, but a diff breed.
          So far her ears are still up tonight. Maybe it will be ok.. She is going back in tape as soon as her edges heal..

Comment

Originally posted by Eves Mom View Post
            So far her ears are still up tonight. Maybe it will be ok.. She is going back in tape as soon as her edges heal..
            I would just follow your vets instructions unless it becomes a problem. A lot of pups don't go into posts until stitches are removed anyways.
            *Jennifer*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post

If I were to go out and get my pup (having already been cropped by the vet)... and fly home with him....

The reason I ask is because cropping is illegal in our province so there may be no vets inclined to help (although taking out stitches shouldn't be an issue).

Thanks Sorry to take over this thread! But it kind of goes along with the question IMO.
              Depends on the breeder, some will crop early around 7 weeks and have stitches out by the time they ship around 9 weeks. Some vets refuse to crop before 8 weeks...

As for shipping, it depends on the airline and the agent behind the counter. I have been allowed to ship with stitches in and I've been refused, same airline - different agent. Some don't allow any kind of cone or support (posts) to be in place either. It's the luck of the draw.
              *Jennifer*
              sigpic

Comment

I'd think you can negotiate with the breeder to keep the puppy until the stitches are out. It's up to you. Many breeders crop at 7wks so if your puppy doesn't come home until 8-9wks, the they may be out of stitches or very close to it anyway.

Cropping is still legal in Ontario but I doubt it will be by the time I'm ready for another puppy. I'm hoping to drive to the US for my next pup so I don't have to worry about flying.

The usual timeline for stitches is about 10 days. The ears will either be glued up to a foam block or cup that sits on top of the head, or the ears will be taped to the top of the head. Once the stitches come out, they go up in posts. You could be taping for anywhere from 4 months to 2 years depending on the ear leather, method, and length of crop.

Originally posted by Eves Mom View Post
                If she's going back in tapes as soon as the edges heal, she'll be fine.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

Kaos was cropped two days before 8 weeks old. I brought him home one day after 8 wks. His stitches were taken out about a week after I got him home.

We taped until the National (6 months old). I took the tape down for the show and never had to put him back up in tapes.
                  sigpic
                  Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                  Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                  www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Working...
                  X