Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing ears get loosed during play

Hi,

The ears of 4 month-old great dane stand correctly, however I noticed that when we take him to the backyard to play they get loosed (like a lot). I do not know if all the running and jumping is too much for the ears leather, but few minutes inside the house the ears appear to stand correctly again.... is that normal??? would you recommend more tape in this case or avoiding playing outside for while? I was told that once the ears could stand for more than a day without falling no more tape was needed..... is this right??

thanks,
    Andre

IME 4 months is way too young to quit taping. Plan on taping up to and probably through puberty. It is not uncommon for a puppy's ears to not stand as stiff and tall after being down for a few hours or after romping around the yard. Yes, I would keep taping them.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arblisboa View Post
      Hi,

The ears of 4 month-old great dane stand correctly, however I noticed that when we take him to the backyard to play they get loosed (like a lot). I do not know if all the running and jumping is too much for the ears leather, but few minutes inside the house the ears appear to stand correctly again.... is that normal??? would you recommend more tape in this case or avoiding playing outside for while? I was told that once the ears could stand for more than a day without falling no more tape was needed..... is this right??

thanks,
      Andre
      Totally depends on the dog and the crop.

My Belle had a shorter crop and was 100% finished taping at 4 months. Athena has a very long show crop and is 4 1/2 months old and no where near done taping. Her ears stay up just fine for 24 hours but they get a bit flimsy after 48-72, actually I don't think I've left them down for a whole 72 hours. First sign of weakness and they go back up.

It is normal for them to relax the ears, especially while playing in the yard. What you want to watch for is exactly how the ears behave when the pup is alerted. Do they go straight up, strong and erect? Or do they wobble and wilt and only get part way up....?
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

I would keep taping, 4mos is still pretty young for the average cropped dane to be out of tapes. Some are earlier, some are later, but the rule of thumb is taping is finished at about 6-7mos.

It's okay for the ears to wiggle and wobble as they're running around. Scarlett has been out of tapes for over three years - her ears stand perfectly and yet they wiggle and wobble when she runs. When she was a puppy, I would take her to the park with untaped ears the majority of the time because they need time to breathe but also because the other dogs ripped the tapes off anyway. Then we would retape when we got home.

I finished Scarlett's ears at 6.5mos just to be on the safe side, but I think her ears were ready for awhile before that. Hers always stood really easily.
        Katie & Scarlett
        sigpic

Comment

You do not mention where you live - but sometimes weather can play a role - when they get outside and start playing, etc. in the humidity it can cause them to droop. I would watch them closely because 4 months sounds very young to quit taping. It is possible, but keep an eye on them.

Take care,

Lori Cornelius
          dixiegreatdanes.com

Comment

I agree with all that has been said. Remember many dogs will also droop during teething. I would post until teething is complete, at bare minimum.
            sigpic
            Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
            Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Working...
            X