Taping Irritation Issues!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derangedfox View Post
    That's what I was assuming(a pocket), as I mentioned in my previous post. We have been being careful and attentive to pull the ears up and out when posting and taping. When we do the bridge, it is definitely a V shape, not a U shape. What else could be causing this problem?

~Dana~
    Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
    If you are pulling up and out, the only other thing that comes to mind without seeing it, is that your posts are too heavy or your bridge is too long/needs to be tightened.
    sigpic
    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Athena's were wonky like that when I first started taping her. In her case, because her crop is so long, the posts are long and therefore extra heavy. I think they were just a bit too heavy for the amount of developed muscle at the base of the ear.

Tightening the bridge can help while the bases strenghten but the ears may be more of a U than a V temporarily. Once there is more muscle at the base to support the weight, you can start to relax the bridge a bit and get that V shape. Athena's bases are much stronger now and I will be weaning off the bridge soon...
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

I will admit, I know nothing from hands on experience about ear cropping. My next dane I will crop..

But would it be possible to use vet wrap vs tape? It sticks to itself therefore letting the ears breath Especially if you are battling scabs and infection but yet still keeping the ears posted..

Here's my idea..

Place tubing with sticky tape on it on the inside of the ear in the bell..(most scabs form on the outside of the ear not?) Then vet wrap around the ear like you would using tape.. Then once done use a small piece of tape to secure vet wrap so puppy doesn't shake loose and it all come un-wrapped..

This way there would be no tape directly on the ear aka when taking off you wouldn't pull off any scabs.. It would also be light and breathable..

Just a thought for those battling wounded ears but yet still want them posted..
        sigpic
        CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
        Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
        Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
        Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie&Moose View Post
          I will admit, I know nothing from hands on experience about ear cropping. My next dane I will crop..

But would it be possible to use vet wrap vs tape? It sticks to itself therefore letting the ears breath Especially if you are battling scabs and infection but yet still keeping the ears posted..

Here's my idea..

Place tubing with sticky tape on it on the inside of the ear in the bell..(most scabs form on the outside of the ear not?) Then vet wrap around the ear like you would using tape.. Then once done use a small piece of tape to secure vet wrap so puppy doesn't shake loose and it all come un-wrapped..

This way there would be no tape directly on the ear aka when taking off you wouldn't pull off any scabs.. It would also be light and breathable..

Just a thought for those battling wounded ears but yet still want them posted..
          I've thought about that when someone with a pup allergic to adhesive was asking for suggestions. Personally, I don't think it would work. I have tons of experience with vetwrap from my years in horses and it does stick to itself well.

But it wouldn't stick to the ear... Even with some tape, if the adhesive is not strong enough (or the pup is a tape-remover) it won't work. Also, I don't think it would be any more breathable than a porous tape. The number of times it would take to wrap around the ear to attempt to hold in place would block a lot of air flow.

I've found Gold Bond powder to be the best remedy for any sores or goo that comes along. It not only dries up the goop but it keeps the tape from sticking too firmly to the sore area, that way no scabs (if present) get removed.

But if anyone has tried and had success with vetwrap, I'd love to hear about it...!
          *Jennifer*
          sigpic

Comment

Vet wrap actually works well if you don't put it on too tight. I taped Dreamer's ears using pipe foam back taped with zonas tape, placed in the ear then did the outer wrap with vet wrap. They stayed on for 7-10 days just like they would with regular tape. I think I have a picture somewhere, I'll have to look.
            sigpic
            Dreamer, Lennon, and Nathan lounging at Nanny's house.

Of all the things I've lost...I miss my Danes the most..

Comment

Originally posted by lennonsmommy View Post
              Vet wrap actually works well if you don't put it on too tight. I taped Dreamer's ears using pipe foam back taped with zonas tape, placed in the ear then did the outer wrap with vet wrap. They stayed on for 7-10 days just like they would with regular tape. I think I have a picture somewhere, I'll have to look.
              Awesome! Did it appear to be more breathable? Ie did you ever get any goop using the vet wrap?

If you couldn't use tape at all (like the pup allergic to adhesive) would it still work or does it heavily rely on being held by the zonas?
              *Jennifer*
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                I've thought about that when someone with a pup allergic to adhesive was asking for suggestions. Personally, I don't think it would work. I have tons of experience with vetwrap from my years in horses and it does stick to itself well.

But it wouldn't stick to the ear... Even with some tape, if the adhesive is not strong enough (or the pup is a tape-remover) it won't work. Also, I don't think it would be any more breathable than a porous tape. The number of times it would take to wrap around the ear to attempt to hold in place would block a lot of air flow.

I've found Gold Bond powder to be the best remedy for any sores or goo that comes along. It not only dries up the goop but it keeps the tape from sticking too firmly to the sore area, that way no scabs (if present) get removed.

But if anyone has tried and had success with vetwrap, I'd love to hear about it...!
                It wouldn't stick to the ear, but thats the whole point so you don't remove scabs but still potentially keep it secure to the post... It may be a better alternative to having the ears down for several days to help the scabs but yet keep them in a somewhat upright position..

sigpic
                CHDANTRYDANES SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE- "Moose"
                Born: April 10,2011

FINISHED IN 1 WEEKEND
                Bitch-CHDANTRYDANES SHE'S A NATURAL
                Stud-CHDANTRYDANES OUT OF AZORES

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie&Moose View Post
                  It wouldn't stick to the ear, but thats the whole point so you don't remove scabs but still potentially keep it secure to the post... It may be a better alternative to having the ears down for several days to help the scabs but yet keep them in a somewhat upright position..

I think anything is better than leaving them down. It's necessary sometimes, but I really hate having them down any more than absolutely necessary. Athena's were down for 2 days recently for a show and I was freaking out. lol

Technically, if you are back-taping the post (lennonsmommy) then there is still tape sticking to the ear. It's just on the inside and not the whole ear. The vet wrap adheres to the sticky post as much as the inside of the ear and I suppose that could provide enough hold for vet wrap to work.

Most of the issues I have seen are little sore spots (not even necesarily open or bleeding/oozing etc) along the edge where the incision was. The incisions have healed but it seems like the edges are bit more sensitive. I don't have any issues with the back side of the ear. And if I was still back-taping the post, then the edges are still going to be taped to the post. Now, if vet wrap could be used in such a way as to completely eliminate the need for any tape at all - that would be perfect for the adhesive-allergic pups!
                  *Jennifer*
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                    If you are pulling up and out, the only other thing that comes to mind without seeing it, is that your posts are too heavy or your bridge is too long/needs to be tightened.
                    This was my first thought~ seems like a lot of bulk for the ears to hold. I dont like full tapes and much prefer the zip tie method with less tape.... Since you have the reaction under control, i would suggest going back to the other method for a while... See if it helps any. good luck.
                    ~*Hailey*~
                    sigpic
                    Sway 4/21/10 - 11/26/13
                    "Our hearts still ache in sadness, And secret tears still flow, What it meant to lose you, No one will ever know."

Comment

In regards to vet wrap, I think it would breathe less than a porous tape and would weigh much more.
                      sigpic
                      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

C a u t i o n

To the OP and possible future readers:

I would be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS in using vet wrap on posted ears.

I know a Dane breeder who used to do this...until she lost the ear tips on two show potential litter mates.

Danefully,

Dru

Comment

As far as vet wrap goes, I am very familiar with it as my fiancé and I are in the horse business. However, I don't think it's necessary to use on Diesel's ears, since we are no longer having the skin irritations since we switched the tape we are using to Johnson and Johnson Zonas Porous tape. The problem was with the Kendall Covedien brand and my pup's ears have healed since the change.

My issue now is getting his left ear to stand. We have re-posted and re-taped his ears four times now and we are still experiencing the same problem. We are making genuine efforts to pull the ears up and out while taping, but we are obviously not doing something right.

Here are his ears after taking down the posts and tapes today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345056852.681468.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345056925.687569.jpg

I really appreciate everyones' experienced opinions and advice. I hope we can correct this!

~Dana~
                          Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
                          sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Comment

Holy crap, it flopped over like that immediately after tapes were removed? Did it stand up at all? How long have you been taping again? And how long had he been taped continuously before you removed the tape for the photo?
                            *Jennifer*
                            sigpic

Comment

Is the cartilage broken? I have only ever see an ear flop like that after several postings when the cartilage was broken. You may need to revisit your cropping vet.
                              sigpic
                              www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                                Is the cartilage broken? I have only ever see an ear flop like that after several postings when the cartilage was broken. You may need to revisit your cropping vet.
                                I was thinking the same thing... :-/
                                *Jennifer*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X