Taping Irritation Issues!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping Irritation Issues!

Hello everyone! I have a 12 week old Dane named Diesel. He is our first GD and this is also my first experience with posting and taping the cropped ears. I have been following the basic method of the infamous Summit View ear taping with the help of a local breeder and show handler of Danes. She taped his ears for me the first two times, so I could watch and try to learn the techniques involved.

About five or six days after the second taping, I noticed an unpleasant sore at the base of his right ear with bleeding that was apparent on the bottom of the tape. In addition, there was a lot of greenish-yellow pus-like goop emitting from the folds on both ears, and it was noticeable on the tapes, not to mention an off-putting smell.

My husband and I decided to cut a one inch slit in the tape to allow the stinky goop to drain out. We followed this by swabbing inside the exposed fold with rubbing alcohol with a q-tip, then applied some Gold Bond powder in the crease/fold to help absorb the moisture. The following morning, I contacted my local Dane resource and she suggested I go ahead and take the tapes down, clean the ears, and put new posts and tapes on.

Now mind you, this was my first taping. I tried to be very careful and follow directions closely to ensure I don't create an issue. I even applied medicated Gold Bond powder to most of his ears, paying extra special attention to the folds. However, I am very worried I may have done something wrong. The tapes I put on looked fine in my point of view, but the following day, the smelly yellowish goop was back and seeping from the folds in both ears.

My local resource contact (Dane breeder/show handler) suggested I take the tapes down completely and wait for her to return from a dog show so I could drive Diesel to her kennel and have her take a look at the problem. When I carefully removed the tapes with the unisolve adhesive remover, my poor pup appeared to be in a great deal of pain and totally detested the process. I realized why he was so agitated when I finally got the tapes off, because he has major irritation and raw skin that is scabbing up on the hair side of his ear. I wanted to cry, I felt so bad for my baby and I feel like I've done something wrong to harm him!

To date, his ears have been down for three days now and I have been cleaning the wounds with 70% rubbing alcohol and applying a thin layer of neosporin to promote healing on his scabs. I am taking him to my experienced local Dane contact today (she is finally back from dog show) to see what we can do to resolve these problems.

I have attached a few photos of Diesel's ears to give you an idea of what I am trying to deal with. Any and all suggestions and/or advice would be GREATLY appreciated, as I feel horrible for my poor baby. Every time I try to treat his wounds, he cries (possibly the stinging from the alcohol?) and I feel just awful that he has to go through this. I am at such a loss of what to do about the issue.

I know just about every Dane owner has their own techniques on how to handle these problems, which is why I'm turning to you helpful and experienced DOL members for your opinions and advice. Again, thank you so very much in advance!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343496918.646577.jpg
    This is his bad ear (his right ear) just after removing the posts and tapes the local breeder applied.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343497055.397631.jpg
    Not a good quality shot, but this shows the inside view of the ear after tape removal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343497594.950763.jpg
    Here are his ears the following day after I taped him myself. As you can see, the Gold Bond powder didn't seem to have much affect on the sticky goop in the folds, as it was so bad as to stain the tapes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343497191.376739.jpg
    This shows the fold that I mentioned that had an unpleasant yellowish-greenish sticky goo in both ears. This was after I taped him myself, then removed them the next day.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343497315.649029.jpg
    This image makes me feel like I've done something terribly wrong. This was a short time after I removed the tapes I applied the previous day. This shows the irritation that formed after I had taped him myself. I did not force the tapes off, in fact, I liberally used the unisolve adhesive remover to carefully and gently remove the tape.

I feel like such a bad mommy to my baby boy. I hate to see him like this and he scratches at his ears, obviously they are bothering him. Also, my heart just breaks when he cries and struggles to get away while I try to clean them up and treat the wounds. Please help! I am desperate to take good care of my baby!

Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
    sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Also, wanted to share the most recent photo of Diesel's worse ear (his right) that I took this morning, which has been three days now with his ears out of the tapes. Just shows a lot of scabbing and is quite unattractive and, I won't lie, it scares me that I have caused this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343498618.535231.jpg

Again, thank you to anyone who can give any sort of advice or suggestions!!

sigpic

Comment

Oh that poor, poor boy and his ears!! Those look horribly painful

Have you taken him to the vet at all that cropped his ears? I'm thinking if they're like that he is going to need antibiotics as well.

Let us know what the person who is providing you with guidance says. I'm wondering if he's allergic to the tape that was used.....
      sigpic
      Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
      Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
      Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

First off, I just want to share with you how I tape ears.
        [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PnfGYJVL8"]YouTube - Taping Einstein's ears[/ame]

When you take Diesel's ears down, make sure you are washing them very good with an antibacterial, anti fungal soap. Then they have to be completely dry before re-taping them. Are you using gold bond medicated powder? If not, I would suggest you apply some to both the inside and outside of his ears (and let him shake the excess off) before you put them back up. You can buy (I get mine at walmart) little cotton make up remover pads. I would cut them in half and use them at the bases where he has alot of breakdown. Put it over the affected area when you tape so the pad is between the tape and his skin. Taking these precautions (powder, pads, taping less tightly) might mean you are going to re-tape more often, but it will be worth it in the end.

Lastly, make sure you aren't taping too tight. A couple of your pics lead me to believe that the tape was too tight. If the circulation is bad the ears won't heal and they aren't going to stand.

I know ears can be frustrating, hang in there. Just take a deep breath and proceed. Those ears will heal.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
          Oh that poor, poor boy and his ears!! Those look horribly painful

Have you taken him to the vet at all that cropped his ears? I'm thinking if they're like that he is going to need antibiotics as well.

Let us know what the person who is providing you with guidance says. I'm wondering if he's allergic to the tape that was used.....
          I purchased Diesel from a breeder in Illinois (I am in Virginia) and the breeder had his ears cropped by her veterinarian, so taking him to the vet that did his ears unfortunately isn't feasible. I am on my way to my local resource for her advice and assistance. I will keep you all posted as to what she says. I just feel so incredibly bad for my boy =(

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
            First off, I just want to share with you how I tape ears.
            YouTube - Taping Einstein's ears

When you take Diesel's ears down, make sure you are washing them very good with an antibacterial, anti fungal soap. Then they have to be completely dry before re-taping them. Are you using gold bond medicated powder? If not, I would suggest you apply some to both the inside and outside of his ears (and let him shake the excess off) before you put them back up. You can buy (I get mine at walmart) little cotton make up remover pads. I would cut them in half and use them at the bases where he has alot of breakdown. Put it over the affected area when you tape so the pad is between the tape and his skin. Taking these precautions (powder, pads, taping less tightly) might mean you are going to re-tape more often, but it will be worth it in the end.

Lastly, make sure you aren't taping too tight. A couple of your pics lead me to believe that the tape was too tight. If the circulation is bad the ears won't heal and they aren't going to stand.

I know ears can be frustrating, hang in there. Just take a deep breath and proceed. Those ears will heal.
            Thank you so much for your wealth of knowledge! The photo of his taped ears were my first attempt at taping. They were fortunately on for only a day before I took them down. I will be sure to be extra careful next time with taping them more loosely. I have been using insane amounts of Gold Bond medicated powder since I first noticed the goop to try to keep the moisture under control. However, I was not washing his ears with antibacterial soap after removing the tapes-- I will do that from now on. I will also try the cotton pads next time. Thank you also for your taping video, it's very helpful. I will keep you all updated on how things are going with his ears. Again, I appreciate all your suggestions!!

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=WeLoveOur7Dogs;838115]First off, I just want to share with you how I tape ears.
              [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9PnfGYJVL8"]YouTube - Taping Einstein's ears[/ame]

Okay so things are finally looking up! Thank you, WeLoveOur7Dogs, for the very helpful instructional video. The zip tie method is what we ended up retaping Diesel's ears with. My local resource did it with a rolled up paper towel wrapped in tape for the base, verses using pipe foam. But the pipe foam just makes more sense to me anyway, so I will try that next time. I really like the fact that there is a lot of the ear still exposed, so his scabs and sores can heal better. I also love that most of the edges are left exposed. I just feel better about this taping technique.

I do have a question. Since having his ears in tapes using the zip tie method, it sort of seems like the ears are curving outwards above the base tape. I didn't have this problem before because the pipe foam I used went the whole way up the ear, but since his ears aren't wrapped entirely around a post, I am noticing they start to flop a bit to the outside. Perhaps I should get thicker/stronger zip ties to hold the ear better?

Thanks again!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Derangedfox View Post
                I do have a question. Since having his ears in tapes using the zip tie method, it sort of seems like the ears are curving outwards above the base tape. I didn't have this problem before because the pipe foam I used went the whole way up the ear, but since his ears aren't wrapped entirely around a post, I am noticing they start to flop a bit to the outside. Perhaps I should get thicker/stronger zip ties to hold the ear better?
                Can you post some pics? You can adjust the length of the foam pieces to suit where the "curving outward" is to make sure you're taping that part of the ear around the foam. Also, don't be afraid to trim the tapes going up and over the ear a little thinner so there is even less tape on his skin. Yes, you may have to tape them more often, but the more you do it, the better at it you will get!
                sigpic

Comment

My guess just looking at the photos you provided is that your pup probably had some type of reaction to the tape and that they were taped too tightly. Our female, Lucia, had some irritation- though not that bad- to one of the brands of tape we used. We now use Nexcare paper tape and Ace brand sports tape for posting and have had no issues. We leave the ears up about 5 days max, sometimes only 2-3 days if the taping looks like it could be irritating or if she's spent alot of time outside playing... anything that might cause irritation, moisture build-up, etc. We have used both the posts and the zipties when posting and like both methods.

Taping definitely isn't an easy process. There will be ups and downs and it will take a while to get a hold of the process. My biggest tip of advice would be- don't leave the ears up for 5 days just because that was the original plan. Trust your gut and take them down any time you think there may be an issue (even same day of taping if you need to do it). It's alot easier to put them back up than it is to have your pup get an infection, or worse- lose blood flow to the ear, causing necrosis.

Don't beat yourself up either.... you're new to the process and we were all there at one point. Feel confident knowing you have a mentor there and this forum here to help you.
                  sigpic
                  Amy

Comment

Originally posted by amgibson View Post
                    My biggest tip of advice would be- don't leave the ears up for 5 days just because that was the original plan. Trust your gut and take them down any time you think there may be an issue (even same day of taping if you need to do it). It's alot easier to put them back up than it is to have your pup get an infection, or worse- lose blood flow to the ear, causing necrosis.
                    Couldn't agree more. There have been many times I've taped them up, not liked the way they turned out, and re-taped immediately. Not so much anymore as it DOES get easier, but in the begining it is definitely a learning process.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WeLoveOur7Dogs View Post
                      Couldn't agree more. There have been many times I've taped them up, not liked the way they turned out, and re-taped immediately. Not so much anymore as it DOES get easier, but in the begining it is definitely a learning process.

My mother inlaw messed up my boys ears about a year ago. Didn't take him in at all while we were on vacation for 3 weeks. A few months ago I finally gave up taping him because it was just going no where. His ears lay flat on his head. Would your method maybe work? Should I not bother trying since it's been so long? I really want my boys ears to stand up, he looks like such a goofball with his ears the way they are and I hate that I put him through a crop only for his ears to not stand. I'd love some help! Thank you sorry thread jack a little bit.

Comment

If you are still having issues (although I hope you are not) and need to see a vet that is very familiar with cropping, I would contact Dr. Johnson at Pender Vet in Fairfax (703-591-3304). I don't really love Pender, but Dr. Johnson is awesome and I can't say enough good things about him. They are located near Fair Ox mall.

Just curious, what tape were you using?
                        sigpic
                        <, and Stef
                        <'
                        What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mhasprey View Post
                          My mother inlaw messed up my boys ears about a year ago. Didn't take him in at all while we were on vacation for 3 weeks. A few months ago I finally gave up taping him because it was just going no where. His ears lay flat on his head. Would your method maybe work? Should I not bother trying since it's been so long? I really want my boys ears to stand up, he looks like such a goofball with his ears the way they are and I hate that I put him through a crop only for his ears to not stand. I'd love some help! Thank you sorry thread jack a little bit.
                          How old is your puppy now?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fets View Post
                            If you are still having issues (although I hope you are not) and need to see a vet that is very familiar with cropping, I would contact Dr. Johnson at Pender Vet in Fairfax (703-591-3304). I don't really love Pender, but Dr. Johnson is awesome and I can't say enough good things about him. They are located near Fair Ox mall.

Just curious, what tape were you using?
                            I was using Kendall Covidian brand porous tape. This is what my local breeder had me use. We are still facing these issues, unfortunately.

The ziptie method was great, but it didn't resolve our problem. It allowed for the worst of his ear to heal, but two days later (yesterday), I took his ears down again because he was having the same irritation issues with redness and sticky yuck(that's all I can call it!), only this time it was lower where the tape was wrapped around the ear. I'm really thinking it must be a reaction to the tape now, since his ears have been mostly handled in professional hands up to this point, and I doubt an experienced person could make so many mistakes on one dog. I will be calling his breeder in Illinois today to see what brand of tape she uses, and try with that. For now, his ears are floppy, but I'd rather him look wonky without pain, than to see him with the issues he's been so tolerant of =/

My local breeder expressed a VERY strong dislike for Pender Vets Associates. Before getting Diesel, I planned to go to Dr. Johnson because he was recommended by another vet as one of the only in the area with cropping experience. However, my local contact said she wouldn't let them touch her dogs for anything. Perhaps she had a bad experience with them, but with so much conflicting information, I am nervous to go to anyone I've heard bad of.

At this point, I'm ready to try whatever it takes. I want to resolve this ear problem before it's too late and they won't stand at all. In my opinion, he has a lovely crop, and I was hoping to see him competing in the show ring after awhile. Maybe it's my biased opinion because he's my baby, but I just can't get over how handsome he is! I don't want to ruin his regal Dane look because of this. I've wanted this boy for almost a decade-- he is truly my dream dog that I promised myself I would one day have. Of course I wouldn't love him any less if his ears didn't stand, but I certainly don't want to lose a perfectly good crop without a fight.

I'm going to try using a different tape on him tonight and see how he does with a different brand. If things don't improve within a couple more days, I'll take him to a veterinarian. Do you have personal experience with Dr. Johnson? What do you not like about Pender Associates? My local resource didn't really give me any details as to why she doesn't like them, and I didn't really question her reasoning. If you have used Dr. Johnson or know of Dane owners who do and have had good experiences, I'm willing to try them out. I just want to be careful with my boy and make sure he is seen by someone who truly knows GD ear crops.

sigpic

Comment

My harl boy couldn't have any type of sports tape on his ears or something very similar happened. I ended up using paper tape with him. I had to retape every 3-4 days, but he had no reaction to it at all.
                              Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                              Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Working...
                              X