No announcement yet.

Taping Irritation Issues!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I must admit I'm quite surprised at the reactions I got from posting those recent photos.

Is the cartilage broken? I don't know... how would I be able to tell if it were?

I just had Diesel at the veterinarian shortly after I took the tapes down today and posted those pictures here on the forum. I do not have a cropping specific vet, as his ears were cropped by the breeder's veterinarian in Illinois and I am in Virginia.

The vet I use here is highly recommended by local Dane breeders, and he has a lot of experience with giant breeds, Great Danes especially. I have been very pleased with him and his practice. He did not seem to make any ordeal over Diesel's flopped ear at all. In fact, what he did for me was apply a little rubber skin glue to a part of the ear, and make a sort of "C" tape to give it some rigidness and support from falling inwards. He examined the ears and commented how nicely they healed, but didn't say anything about the cartilage. I would think if my pup had broken cartilage, the veterinarian would have recognized that right away, no?

Here are photos I took again of him today, after his veterinarian visit. This will show you what my vet did to add some support to the ear. Please note I am not holding his skin or ears up to manipulate them in these pictures, I am just holding his collar so he would sit still for the photos.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345078974.762188.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345079009.739336.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345079035.999017.jpg

I may be inexperienced, and therefore mistaken, but I honestly don't believe there is a majorly serious issue with the ear. I was thinking that it is more of a pocket that formed from my tape jobs and that it can be corrected with the proper posting techniques. I mean, it's not like he's been in posts/tapes for THAT long. But again, I lack experience and knowledge on this matter, which is why I am turning to DOL again. The ear still wants to lean inwards towards his head a bit, but it's not just folded over since the couple pieces of tape the vet put on him.

Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
    Holy crap, it flopped over like that immediately after tapes were removed? Did it stand up at all? How long have you been taping again? And how long had he been taped continuously before you removed the tape for the photo?
    Yes, it flopped over immediately after the tapes were removed. It did not stand up straight at all since we started having these issues. It started with just a lean inwards, then over the course of about a week, progressed to this extreme fold over. But please also refer to my previous post with photos of his ears in the tapes. The left ear was flopped inward with his posts and tapes in and it is explained in my post and shown in the pictures. My post today was not the first time I requested help with this problem. His left ear hasn't always looked like this, as you can see from my profile picture, which is why I was wondering if it is the method of taping that is causing this.

We have been having him in consistent tapes for almost two weeks now, but have been changing the posts and tapes every 2-3 days. Since we started noticing the inward flop over his head, it has progressively gotten worse. It wasn't this extreme overnight. He was in tapes for three days before I took them down today and took the photos.

Is it really THAT bad? Now I'm quite concerned from the responses so far today...

~Dana~
    Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
    sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Comment

Hopefully it's not broken cartilage but without seeing and feeling it in person, I really can't say. If your vet didn't think it was broken, perhaps it's not. Or - the vet has never seen broken cartilage. But if he's as experienced as you say, I would think he would know and recognize if he saw it. I've just never seeen the ear fold at that 90 degree angle straight out of tapes before (without the cartilage being broken). Pockets certainly cause wonky leaning and bending, but again, I've never seen pockets result in that severe of a bend. I suppose it's possible...

It looks like the vet taped that ear in such as way as to give it the support it needs. I guess you will see what the ear does when you take that down. If it's supported like that for a week or so and bends over (like your previous pic) immediately, then I would strongly suspect a cartilage break. If it stands straight at that point (even just temporarily), then you're good to go.

Hoping for the best, he's such a pretty boy!
      *Jennifer*
      Member GDC of Mid-Florida
      sigpic

Comment

As mentioned, without seeing it in person, I cannot answer if it is broken. That said, a cropping experienced vet should be able to recognize it. The ears look great in your latest photos. Just have the vet check it if the ear flops againt he next time the tape is removed!
        sigpic
        Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
        Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

If the cartilage is broken (which I super hope it's not), what would be the options to fix it?

The ears were down a lot in the beginning from open sores. Unfortunately Diesel experienced contact dermatitis to the tape the breeder recommended (still shocked she didn't notify you). They couldn't keep the ears posted, as he was miserable. After she switched tapes, the sores healed fine. Is it possible the ear is doing this because they were initially down for awhile? Is there a chance that they will correct with time and proper posting, but she may have to post longer because of the delay?
          sigpic
          <, and Stef
          <'
          What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Macho Cheese!!

Comment

Originally posted by fets View Post
            If the cartilage is broken (which I super hope it's not), what would be the options to fix it?
            It totally depends on the individual ear. Some cartilage breaks are very minor and scoring (scarring the ear in such a way as to intentionally cause scar tissue to form) can mitigate some of the damage and get them to stand. A lot of times, unfortunately, cartilage breaks result in an ear that never stands. Hopefully that's not what's going on in his case...

The ears were down a lot in the beginning from open sores. Unfortunately Diesel experienced contact dermatitis to the tape the breeder recommended (still shocked she didn't notify you). They couldn't keep the ears posted, as he was miserable. After she switched tapes, the sores healed fine. Is it possible the ear is doing this because they were initially down for awhile? Is there a chance that they will correct with time and proper posting, but she may have to post longer because of the delay?
            Absolutely and this is what I hope is the case.
            *Jennifer*
            sigpic

Comment

Cartilage breaks typically require surgery to repair. As mentioned, some options for simple breaks are scoring or the button hole technique. For more severe breaks, implants are really the only option. Implants are illegal in the show ring and rarely seen. As the name implies, it involves inserting a rod or plate surgically into the ear to cover the break, giving it rigidty and allowing it to stand.
              sigpic
              Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
              Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
              www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

His ears look really good with that tape helping to support it. Now that the irritation issue is solved, once you do start taping again, don't take them down every 2-3 days like you said you were doing. I always like to leave them at least a week or more. I'm sure you were taking them down so often due to the irritation.
                sigpic

Comment

Ahh, sorry I haven't replied with any updates. I had my local resource, a knowledgable Great Dane breeder, take a look and tape up his ears for me. She was originally the person I had to help show me how to even post and tape his ears in the first place. She said he's too young to have any broken cartilage and that it's just a buckle in the ear (thank goodness!). She re-posted and taped him up, and now you'd never know he had the problem. She managed to pull the skin of the buckle more taut, and both ears are in a normal position in the tapes. I am taking him back to her for his next set of posts and tapes so she can make sure we are correcting it properly. I'll update when I see his ears down again!

~Dana~
                  sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Comment

Originally posted by Derangedfox View Post
                    Ahh, sorry I haven't replied with any updates. I had my local resource, a knowledgable Great Dane breeder, take a look and tape up his ears for me. She was originally the person I had to help show me how to even post and tape his ears in the first place. She said he's too young to have any broken cartilage and that it's just a buckle in the ear (thank goodness!). She re-posted and taped him up, and now you'd never know he had the problem. She managed to pull the skin of the buckle more taut, and both ears are in a normal position in the tapes. I am taking him back to her for his next set of posts and tapes so she can make sure we are correcting it properly. I'll update when I see his ears down again!
                    ~Dana~
                    Just saw this. That is great news! Definitely keep us updated with pics!
                    *Jennifer*
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X