Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help in Utah with Taping 16month old Dane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Help in Utah with Taping 16month old Dane

    I am still fighting Titan's ears. I have tried every method from pipe foam to craft sticks. He used to stand them great until the vet cut his ear and he had to be left down. Now he stands them when he wants but most of the time they do what they want. I understand he is probably too old but if there is someone in utah that knows more about it I would gladly pay for you to wrap them. He is my first dane and my first go at cropping and I don't want him to have gone through it for no reason. Anybody available. I can travel in Salt Lake, Davis, Tooele, or Utah counties.
    sigpic

  • #2
    How did the vet cut his ear? I mean, was it a serious enough cut to affect the crop standing? I don't think I would give up at 16 months. Some people have had to tape longer than that to finally get the ears to stand.

    Martha
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure if you found a vet yet, but if not I heard Dr. Carl Pew in Orem is the vet to see.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mccalanni View Post
        Not sure if you found a vet yet, but if not I heard Dr. Carl Pew in Orem is the vet to see.
        was about to say the same thing!
        sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

        "inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

        Comment


        • #5
          I too had some trouble with my first crop and taping. I took my pup to the vet out here to be taped and apparently vets are the best option for after care. My pup is going to be shown so luckily I new some respected breeders tht offered to help and I paid her for her time.

          My recommendation is to go to a show and AFTER the show ask a few people if they have experience and would be willing (for a fee) to help you. My guess is one will say yes or know someone who will.

          I take my pup to this persons house, when she is available (remember she is doing me a favor even though I am paying her). I actually enjoy the time I spend there as I am new to showing and ask questions and soak up anything she has to say from conformation topics to etiquette.

          Comment


          • #6
            I understand the sentiment of your message, but disagree with the symantecs. If you are paying someone for their help, it no longer is a favor.
            sigpic
            Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
            Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
              I understand the sentiment of your message, but disagree with the symantecs. If you are paying someone for their help, it no longer is a favor.
              Technically, you are correct Logan. However, it still feels like doing a favor. I had a local new Dane owner contact me begging for help (apparently got her puppy from a not-so-stellar breeder and had no support). I was happy to help her with the ear tapings and patiently teach her how to do it herself. She paid me for my time and the inconvenience, though I would have helped her for free. It wasn't a lot of money and it's not like I relied on it at all. I helped her because she needed help - not for the money.

              And she definitely picked my brain the whole time about food, toys, health care, training... etc!
              *Jennifer*
              Member GDC of Mid-Florida
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by oceanbluedanes View Post
                Technically, you are correct Logan. However, it still feels like doing a favor. I had a local new Dane owner contact me begging for help (apparently got her puppy from a not-so-stellar breeder and had no support). I was happy to help her with the ear tapings and patiently teach her how to do it herself. She paid me for my time and the inconvenience, though I would have helped her for free. It wasn't a lot of money and it's not like I relied on it at all. I helped her because she needed help - not for the money.

                And she definitely picked my brain the whole time about food, toys, health care, training... etc!
                Point taken!
                sigpic
                Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                www.lokenigreatdanes.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  I live in Kaysville and we wrapped our Max ourselves. I remember it was hard and frustarting in the beginning, but in the end his ears stood beautifully. I am not sure what I could do to help you though, as it seems yours may be another issue rather than just wrapping technique?

                  As a side note: we had a vet cut his ear too when he took his wrapping off for a vet check. Maybe the same vet? Would love to hear who it was.....
                  Last edited by Malyshka; 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X