Ear Crop Types/Sizes Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear Crop Types/Sizes Question

I did a search for this and didn't find anything (maybe i'm using the wrong keywords). Can someone explain to me the different crop sizes or types. And if anyone could post pictures of the different kinds that would be appreciated.
    sigpic

I hope one of the more experienced owners chimes in, this is something I really want to learn as well. I'm also curious about the level of care & time required for each cut, are they all the same or do the longer ears require more time to stand?
    sigpic
    Shannon momma to:
    Peanut Great Dane born 12/10/10
    Tuffy(6/5/05), Simon(7/2108) & Joey(8/10/08) Rescue kitties
    Juice Yellow Footed Tortoise

Comment

Originally posted by TattooShan77 View Post
      I hope one of the more experienced owners chimes in, this is something I really want to learn as well. I'm also curious about the level of care & time required for each cut, are they all the same or do the longer ears require more time to stand?
      I know this one, show crop takes the most time and that's because it's the longest. Most show crops involve keeping the max natural length of the ear and most show dogs have the cut.
      The mid show crop is still long and can take a long time too but generally less time than the long show crop, there's less of the long tip and ears typically are easier to train to stand.
      The pet cut is the shortest and hardest cut to make look good IMO. Some skilled vets do a nice job tapering the ear just right but some end up with cat ears...eww. Most pet cuts stand with ease.
      You can find pictures of different cuts by searching the crop forum.
      Of course if you want a crop your breeder probably has pictures to show you, i have seen previous pup sections on breeders sites that show all different sizes.
      Most important thing is to have correct vet crop.
      Because in pitbulls a show crop is shorter than a military crop on a Doberman.
      In some breeds there are battle and military crops you never want those on a Dane! You never want less than half the natural lenght cut away and dogs with blood hound ear sets will never have standing ears. I see more and more Euro pups with ear sets like that.
      Wide base with a lot of bell looks bad and quite a few vets will jack a dogs ears up.

Comment

I really only like the look of the show crop, long & skinny. Otherwise I would just leave them natural. Adding a second Dane is still a year and a half to two years out so I am starting my research now.
        sigpic
        Shannon momma to:
        Peanut Great Dane born 12/10/10
        Tuffy(6/5/05), Simon(7/2108) & Joey(8/10/08) Rescue kitties
        Juice Yellow Footed Tortoise

Comment

Originally posted by TattooShan77 View Post
          I spoke with a reputable breeder on the phone a couple weeks ago that I had met at a dog show and we discuss ear cropping. Her dog had a show crop, had been cropped for a little over a year, and she was still taping ever-so-often to keep them standing straight.
          She REALLY helped me learn a lot about cropping and how the different lengths require different amounts of care.

I personally would not get a full show crop for my first cropped Dane because I would be too scared of having a crop flop. Maybe I would consider if I ever found a breeder super close to my location who could be there to help me hands-on whenever I needed, but unfortunately I have yet to find a reputable breeder close to me.

Comment

I just wanted to say, that in general, a long show crop will take longer to stand, but it doesn't really always take more time than say a medium crop, and it really isn't anymore difficult.

I had absolutely no issues with Gia's long show crop, and she was my first experience whatsoever with a crop
            I ended up taping until she was about 9 or 10 months old, and i figure that I taped about a month (or 2!) longer than was necessary, just to be on the safe side.
            Her ears were actually standing well on their own at about 6-7 months old, but I kept taping because I did not want to risk a crop flop.

I think it really depends the most on the quality of the ear leather, the quality of the crop job, and very diligent aftercare of the crop.
            So imo, I would always go with a nice long crop, if possible.

Here is a picture of Gia's crop:
            She has a beautiful long show crop. (maybe slightly wider than some I've seen)

That is the only crop picture I can post, as she is the only cropped dog that I own.

But maybe others here will share pictures of different crop types on their dogs??
            Last edited by Hudson; 05-10-2012, 12:31 PM. Reason: Picture added
            sigpic
            "Gia" and Olivia
            Am CH/Can GCH Kiltic Daynakin HunymoonNVegas CGN CHIC
            LiveSky Great Danes

Comment

Zephyr's ears were probably done around 5 1/2 months, but you can see that they are kind of wide and the bell almost wraps around at the base. His ears never flopped ever, the foam fell off at 10 weeks and they stood for the whole afternoon. They would get droopy, but the bases never fell. He doesn't have a show crop, though.

Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
              Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Scarlett has a medium show crop, which is kinda hard to tell from the pics. They have a good length to them, narrow bases, and stood easily. I stopped taping her at 6.5mos.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

I gotta say, Gia's crop is gorgeous. It looks perfect on her.
                  ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I love the look of the long show crop. I always hold bruno's ears up and I think he would look so handsome with a crop lol

Silly question after a crop do their ears go hard. Like the cartilage is stiff? Just curious. lol

I am such a chicken to ever get a dog cropped so maybe my next dane will just have to be already cropped lol That is in like 10 yrs lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post

Here is a picture of Gia's crop:
                      She has a beautiful long show crop. (maybe slightly wider than some I've seen)

That is the only crop picture I can post, as she is the only cropped dog that I own.

But maybe others here will share pictures of different crop types on their dogs??
                      Her crop is beautiful. I would not like to se it any thinner.

Comment

Yes, the cartilage hardens but it's still very pliable. The ears don't go rigid or anything, there is just a firmness to them that holds the shape.
                        Katie & Scarlett
                        sigpic

Comment

These are 2 of my Danes. The first one has a medium show crop and the second has a super long show crop. I personally think *most* Danes, even show Danes, look best with a medium show crop because the super long show crops usually never completely harden at the tips and they flop around when the dog moves. With a medium show crop, taped correctly, the entire ear from base to tip will be rigid all the time, even when the dog is moving.

A super long show crop looks beautiful when the dog is standing still, but in motion it is not as pretty to look at because it's flopping over and blowing in the wind I show and I can probably count on one hand the number of really long show crops that I've seen ever get 100% rigid.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic
                          Giselle pictured at 7 months old

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. It's nice to have the pictures in one place.

I hate to sound like a noob but my options are show crop, medium crop, and pet crop? correct?
                            sigpic

Comment

We went in with wanting a show crop but after talking it over with the vet and seeing pictures at the vet, we went with what they called a "medium-long" crop. This was the crop just under the long show crop.

Our boy is about 13 weeks old in this pic.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X