Getting ears cropped!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ears cropped!

I am scheduled to get my girls ears cropped in 2 weeks. Anything I should know or be ready for about surgery or post surgery?

This is something you should discuss with your breeder, if you haven't already.
    sigpic

Comment

My breeder does not have any of her dogs ears cropped... she keeps them natural. It was my choice to have them cropped...

Comment

Hence the reason if you want a cropped dane you should go with a breeder who has expertise in cropping... especially first time dane owners. I'm sure the members here with crop experience will help you with your questions, but if it were me I would get a little tired of giving advise to someone who should be getting it from their breeder.
        Last edited by HarlequinHorror; 05-05-2012, 11:57 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

If you dont know anything about cropping dont keep posting comments... im sure there are many other people on this forum who got there puppy from a breeder does not crop ears.

Comment

I would assume if a good breeder doesn't crop their dogs that there's a good chance they'd require their pups to be left natural. That said, if you're going at this without any breeder support that means you have to be extra diligent with choosing a vet who knows what they're doing and whose work you've seen.
            Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
            Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

I can tell you that the attitude won't get you anywhere. All they were doing was seeing about what your breeder said. Most quality breeders will support you regardless if they crop or not. If your breeder does not wish to help you then find an experienced vet and they can guide you.

Secondly, you should use the search function in the top bar. I know I've read a ton on here lately about what to expect in the ear cropping, taping and cleaning section. I'd just do some reading and I know you'll find what you are looking for.
              sigpic
              Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
              Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
              Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

My breeder is not against cropping she just leaves the ears natural because she does not want to have them put through the surgery....I thought my breeder was against it at first because she had her dogs ears natural but that is not the case after I spoke to her yesterday.... I am willing to put time and effort into a cropped ear and yes I know it is a lot of time and effort....

Comment

I would also suggest searching through puc of cropped merles. You don't see it often. Make sure you find a vet experienced in cropping.
                  sigpicKelly

Comment

I don't know why you bother asking for advice when you never seem to take it if it isn't the answer you want.
                    sigpic

Comment

Are you willing to make a long drive there's a great cropper in Northern Ohio named Anne Midgarden.
                      One thing to remember is sometimes it does matter if your breeder has cropped dogs. Ear set, ear leather and even ear size play a roll in getting ears to stand .
                      If someone is breeding pet quality dogs and they have bad ear sets you could end up with a pup who will at best have yoda ears.
                      But for the most part a good crop job and good aftercare will equal standing ears.

Comment

I noticed the pup you have pictured looks to have the ears of a 5- 6 week old at best puppy. How old is she now?? Because that pup has very small ears if she is 8 weeks. Around 7-9 weeks a pup has huge floppy ears.
                        If your pup is already 8 weeks I would not wait two weeks to crop her, try and do it soon. If she's 6 weeks then in two weeks is fine.
                        And did the vet you are considering have photos of previous ear crops on Danes? Do they regularly crop and will they help you with aftercare?
                        Make sure you research carefully, some vets will military or battle crop your pups ears and call it a pet crop. If vet claims they'll stand without after care run!
                        Make sure they know you want a mid show crop and that they know Danes.
                        And pm me if you want to know more about anne lady in Ohio her price makes gas worth it and she has magic hands.

Comment

Ok that helps...I sent you a PM. When I take her to get her ears done if the vet thinks for any reason her ears are not good quality to crop I wont do it....he said he will be able to tell so we will see. thanks for your info.

Comment

This picture was taken yesterday I say she is 6 weeks but really she wont be 6 weeks til Monday. And yes he has a book full of crops that he has done...

Comment

Originally posted by mersc726 View Post
                              This picture was taken yesterday I say she is 6 weeks but really she wont be 6 weeks til Monday. And yes he has a book full of crops that he has done...
                              Ok then her ears will get much bigger and 8 weeks is a fine time to crop. Her ear set looks ok and a good vet can tell and do her ears to match her head.

Comment

Working...
                              X