Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Obsessed with getting the tape off

Hi all,

I have a 6 month old male named Gibson. We have been struggling with his ears for months. Initially his ears were fine, but we found that his leather started becoming irritiated and sore. This is our first dane and we were pretty clueless. We have tried every method of taping we have come across and at this point its not the how to tape that we are having problems with. We discovered that his ears needed to be cleaned daily, we use Gold Bond powder on the outside of his ears and Polysporin on any ouchies.

Now what we are battling is to have him keep his ears taped. We put a cone of shame on him so he can't scratch the tape off, but now he will shake his head until the glue and tape don't stick. I don't think his ears are itchy like they used to be, I think he's kind of obsessed with getting the tape and stays off. He's big enough that he can remove anything we put on him and will do anything he can to try.

We have tried to keep him distracted, keep him tired, keep him happy and at this point nothing is working.

He has one ear that will stand for a few days and the other for a few seconds. We are not ready to give up, but we are out of ideas.

Does anyone have any thoughts or have you experienced the same issues?

Have you tried any quick brace system? Think hoytt is one type. This would leave most of ear exposed while keeping brace pretty securely in place so his ears could stay up.
    sigpic
    Amy

Comment

Guess I should have added, this has happened twice to us but both times we did a sloppy job taping. We didn't have the post far enough down into bell and weren't securing the tape around the ear very well. If we take our time and do a good taping, our dogs can scratch, roll, play... And we have no problems with the tape coming down.
      sigpic
      Amy

Comment

Try gluing in the posts (Torbot or Ostobond-human grade skin glue) and spraying the tape with bitter apple or hot sauce.
        sigpic
        Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
        Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

We do have the Quick Brace system, and we do glue in the posts in all different methods. We have found that with the Quick brace, if we don't put foam or paper towel (pillow?) rolled up attached to the bottom of the brace they won't stay in. So we we put the pillow on and then still have to tape the bottom to hold it in and tape the tips I think he has fairly oily skin and the glue won't hold for longer than 24 hours. We have been redoing his ears daily for a month and a half. His ears get more and more irritated because he shakes and shakes until they come off.

Today I have given him a bath and washed and rewashed then washed his ears again with soothing skin shampoo and ear wash. Then after his bath I took him outside and irrigated each ear 6 times, so I don't believe the irritation is coming from a yeast infection inside his ear. His skin does look slightly irritated so I put Benadryl anit-itch cream all over.

We are going to take him to the vet this week and have her look in his ears and just verify that it isn't something in the ear canal that's causing this.

When we first were trying to tape his ears we definitely were taping too loose which tickled his ear and cause rub irritation so we have learned to ensure that the tape is snug but not tight.

We just can't get him to stop being so focused on his ears.

Comment

If he has an infection, that is why he is shaking so hard. Rubbing alcohol will clean the ears to allow the skin bond to adhere better.
            sigpic
            Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
            Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Working...
            X