POCKETS-What else to try?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POCKETS-What else to try?

Okay. A week ago I took batman to the vet for taping. We still have pockets, they are just as bad and I dont know what else to do.

We taped without the bridge this time. Glued the foam into his ear and down into the bell to give extra support to correct the pockets, but within a few days, the foam popped out of the bells and they were once again tilting in to the center.

Is putting a foam brace between the ears my next and last step to try and correct this? Im using 1inch foam pipe wrap, cutting it in half for 1/2 inch pieces. I had been posting on the bump with the foam taped, but the vet is instead having me cut a wedge into the bottom and fit it down into the bell, ostobonding it to the ear and then taping. And yes, pulling up and out.

Ive read, read, and re-read the forums and the only thing I havent tried yet is the brace between the ears. Have any of you had sucess with it?

This was this morning right after taking down the posts.
    sigpic
    Mother of 4 human kids, 1 berner/aussie mix-Izzy-, 2 great danes-Asia -Batman-

Clean the ears with rubbing alcohol. Let them dry. Then pull the ears up and out, while gluing in the backer rods, then tape base, middle and tips. It should easily last 7-10 days before the glue starts to release the posts. If you need to take it down, use an adhesive remover.
    sigpic
    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

You could try posting with "bumpers" to pop out the pockets. Also, if you are still posting with backer rods, try reinforcing them with a few layers of duct tape to make them more rigid. Just leave a little tape-free area at the bottom so the stiff tape doesn't irritate the ears.

Comment

The duct tape around the rod is what I've been doing, but I found too many wraps around it makes it too hard and it pops out easier. One good wrap around the backer rod with duct tape and like the other poster said leave the tip uncovered and cut it to a dull point (I had major problems the first few tries with the rods popping out and causing a pocket), and when you are placing the rod in the ear twist it as you are trying to get it down in there far enough all while pulling the ear like you have been. You can also tape a small bumper to the base of the rod (too large and it will easily pop out as well). That's what ultimately helped me. Keep trying!!

Comment

Go to this site and scroll down to the picture of figure #4. This is what Logan means by pulling the ear up and out while gluing in the backer rods:

http://www.sunstrike-great-danes.com/education/ears.pdf

Are you doing it this way? If you are, you shouldn't have any pockets.
          Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

Just wondering how things are going with the pockets? Did any tips help start to correct them and hold the posts in? Hoping you've had improvement!

Comment

The sunstrike link given a few posts ago shows how to pull the ear out from the head when starting to tape. Remember "pull ear up and away from the head"

Notice: The post does NOT go down into the ear. That irritates the dog and doesn't prevent the pockets. It may even contribute to forming pockets.

The pup doesn't need the brace between the ears. Adding the brace would probably just contribute to pulling the ears closer to each other over the head. Again, just adding to your pocket problem.

Comment

Originally posted by saharadane View Post
                The sunstrike link given a few posts ago shows how to pull the ear out from the head when starting to tape. Remember "pull ear up and away from the head"

Notice: The post does NOT go down into the ear. That irritates the dog and doesn't prevent the pockets. It may even contribute to forming pockets.

The pup doesn't need the brace between the ears. Adding the brace would probably just contribute to pulling the ears closer to each other over the head. Again, just adding to your pocket problem.
                To the part I bolded, after looking at the link I'm curious as to why Dane owners don't put the post all the way down into the ear? In order to correctly post a Doberman's ears, the post must be all the way down. Other than that, everything else seems the same. Is it because of ear set, ear length, etc.?

Comment

When I got my first Dane cropped, my breeder, mentor nearly hit the ceiling when she saw I was taping like the Dobes. I used to show Dobes and had a few litters. She didn't like the post in the ear or the wrapping around the ear like it was a tube.

Her method used by many breeders uses cable ties for support, the stiffner is above the bump. A "pillow" made of tampon bad is used above and on the bump to help hold the stiffner. Tape goes around the base and pillow and up and over the tip. Only 3 - 4 pies of tape are used to hold the ear wrap in place. It is a lot less irritating to the dog, the ears breathe, and the ear maintains a more "flat" look, then when wrapped around the ear.

Anyway, a lot of show Dobe breeders are now using this method. I've seen quite a few locally using this method.

I also think it would be harder to effectively pull the ear up and out when the posts go into the ears.

Comment

Update-

The other week... was just a bad week I think. I re-tapped the way my vet told me, and wah-lah.. since then havent had any trouble yet and havent had to re-tape yet. (taping is tomorrow)

I had been doing the foam posting method that had been shown on youtube. I used a 1"pipe and cut it in half, wrapped half so It was a firm post and had been placing it just resting on the bump.

My vet uses foam as well, but she does it just a little different. She cuts the 1" foam in half and cuts a V shape into the bottom to fit down into the ear and tapers the length to the shape of the ear. Instead of making a post, she leaves the foam curved so when the ear is glued to the foam, it lays perfectly on the foam without wrapping around. She then tapes all the way down.

I dont really care for using the glue, so I back taped the foam, keeping it in the half circle shape. then put it in the ear and tape. Its worked PERFECTLY. The foam is soft enough that it doesnt irritate him and his muscles are strong enough now he doesnt need a bridge or bump and holds his ears handsomly.

I will get pictures and maybe a video tomorrow when I re-do his ears.
                    sigpic
                    Mother of 4 human kids, 1 berner/aussie mix-Izzy-, 2 great danes-Asia -Batman-

Comment

We also used the foam and back taped it to hold...Some pups ears stand earlier then others stay on them the out come will be perfect..Good luck to you.
                      Asiasigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X