right ear is curling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right ear is curling

hey my name is Jess and about 6 weeks ago i got my new puppy, Mac, and he is amazing. he had his ears cropped at 10 weeks old. so i picked him up the day he had his ears cropped. right now he is 17 weeks. im a little over a month into taping and his left ear is perfect but im having problems with his right ear. its curling at the tip and after an hour or so its even worse. i never let them down for more than a couple hours and i change his tape once a week. i dont add a bridge anymore because he has full control of them and he keeps them up really well. im attaching pics so if anyone has any ideas on how to correct the curling of his right ear then i would would really appreciate it. i know i have barely been taping that long but im nervous that this will never be corrected cause it immediately curls when i tape his tape off. please help!
    IMG950644.jpg

2012-04-04_17-24-26_861.jpg

IMG952138.jpg

IMG959391.jpg

Obviously make sure the tip is taped completely to the post. What kind of tape are you using? It looks like black vetwrap (?) in the second pic? I don't know why but I've heard of people having trouble with that kind of "tape" and the ears being very soft after using it. Try the white sports tape or J&J Zonas porous tape. As you said, you have a ways to go, but when my Rupert came out of tapes his tips were sort of curly so I used breath rite strips on them for about a month and it corrected it. That was at about 7 months old though.
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

well i tape the tip to the post as well as the base. then i wrap it in black guaze. any experience with knox gelatin????

Comment

I used it near the end of Rupert's taping when I was only using the BRS. I don't honestly know of it worked or not but his ears look good to me now.
        ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Do u put the BRS at the tip then do the normal taping? Leo's ears curl in to his head at the tip as well?? I use Summitt view taping method but as soon as I take them down after an hour they curl in..granted they don't stay in posts for a week I have 3 other dogs and when they play the posts get all messy, he is literally reposted every 3 days

Comment

He is still a young puppy. The tips are the last thing to firm up and he is approaching the beginning of teething, which can soften the ear leather. Keep posting, making sure the ear is fully posted. In another 3 weeks, start adding half a packet of knox gelatin to his feedings. I don't see anything in the pics to be overly concerned about.
            sigpic
            Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
            Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Ok will do! Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X