To Crop or Not to Crop...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Crop or Not to Crop...

I am not sure which I am going to do yet. Please explain why you choose to or not to crop your great danes ears.
    YES my great danes ears are cropped and I love it!!!
    40.98%
    YES my great danes ears are cropped but I wish they weren't.
    1.64%
    NO my great danes ears are not cropped and I like it that way!!!
    40.98%
    NO my great danes ears are not cropped but I wish they were.
    16.39%
    sigpic

LOL, youíre jumping from one controversial subject to the next!

Thereís a whole sub forum on ear cropping with lots of good info.

My two are not cropped. Lunar came that way - not like Iím going to crop an adult dane no matter how wonky the ears. Had we gotten him as a pup I definitely would have taped his ears to lay flat because Iím not a fan of the wonky ears.

Our pup we did not crop because
    a) sheís a mismark and I find it, I dunno... pretentious? to crop a non showable color. Silly maybe, but thatís how I feel.
    b) I canít justify the risk of general anesthesia on a pup for what basically amounts to a cosmetic procedure. (The risk is minimal, but its still there.)
    c) Iím lazy and taping looks like a lot of work.
    d) Iím a pessimist and Iíd worry that despite diligent taping Iíd end up with a crop flop.
    e) Iím cheap, and that cropping vet bill could buy me a lot of dog food.

IOW, its a 100% personal decision. I imagine youíll get about a 50/50 split on your poll.
    Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
    - Anatole France

Comment

If he/she is very young, then it's much easier than if he's over 9 weeks. I cropped my boy when he was 13 weeks old and I regretted it. He looked pretty bad@ss tho when he was alert, but my Kodi isn't cropped and I love cuddling with her ears and head. I would say if it's your first dane, do not crop. Someone gave me that advice for my first one and I Wish I would have taken it. I love the look, but I love the look of floppy as well. Plus even the crop look doesn't stay perched up perfectly all day long, they hold 'em back sometimes as well. I would say no.

sigpic
      People/Dogs won't remember what you say or what you do....But they will always remember the way you made them feel.

Comment

Moose is not cropped. Do I think he would look regal with his ears cropped? Yes. Would I ever crop a Dane of mine? No.

My reasoning is based off an experience I had in my life with cropping. I realize it may not be the same for all people and I think the pup had A LOT to do with it but alas... it has stuck with me. The vet I worked with would not crop any new clients - only the clients he has had since he started. A Boxer breeder brought in her pup and the vet cropped her ears. First issue I had was watching the chunk of ear cut off being dropped in the garbage. That just seemed so wrong to me. The second issue was listening to the pup scream when it woke up out of anaesthesia even with the pain meds. No owners hear that part. Then the breeder brought her back and when we took out the stitches she screamed bloody murder again. I was done with cropping at that point. Just thinking about that pup brings the screams to my ears.

I've always said when asked if I would crop.... that if the pup came to me cropped straight from the breeder and they made the decision then I would tape and be happy with a cropped pup. HOWEVER... I cannot make that decision and know that I put my pup through that initial trauma. I know later they could care less but that boxer pup has traumatized me.
        sigpic
        Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
        Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
        Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

While there are plenty of wonderful owners who crop, for me its not worth the risk. I like the look of crops, but not enough to risk my dog for it...and I like natural just as much

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
            LOL, you’re jumping from one controversial subject to the next!

There’s a whole sub forum on ear cropping with lots of good info.

My two are not cropped. Lunar came that way - not like I’m going to crop an adult dane no matter how wonky the ears. Had we gotten him as a pup I definitely would have taped his ears to lay flat because I’m not a fan of the wonky ears.

Our pup we did not crop because
            a) she’s a mismark and I find it, I dunno... pretentious? to crop a non showable color. Silly maybe, but that’s how I feel.
            b) I can’t justify the risk of general anesthesia on a pup for what basically amounts to a cosmetic procedure. (The risk is minimal, but its still there.)
            c) I’m lazy and taping looks like a lot of work.
            d) I’m a pessimist and I’d worry that despite diligent taping I’d end up with a crop flop.
            e) I’m cheap, and that cropping vet bill could buy me a lot of dog food.

IOW, its a 100% personal decision. I imagine you’ll get about a 50/50 split on your poll.
            lol my next thread will be about chocolate danes. lol i'm just kidding. To go from one controversial topic to the next wasn't my intention I just cant make up my mind about it, i like the look of both. So I wanted everyone else's opinion on why they choose to do it or not.

Also I considered putting this in the Ear Cropping sub-forum but figured everyone there crops their dogs ears and I wanted answers from everyone and not from only one side of the subject.

Thanks for the detailed response!!
            sigpic

Comment

I love the look of both cropped and natural. My Capone came from a BYB and not fully knowing his blood lines and family health history, we opted to keep him natural. And im glad we did because his ears are so soft they wouldn't have held a crop well.

I feel cropping should be up to the owner, as long as your dog is healthy and know what you're doing..... or at least have great guidance from your Vet and Breeder to see you through from start to finish.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Comment

I cropped because I like the way it looks and I always wanted a Dane with cropped ears. Even though I had the experience of watching a vet come to the house where I worked (Boxer breeder) and crop a litter of puppies on the kitchen table, I still did it. And yes, it was pretty graphic, but no this particular bunch wasn't screaming afterwards. I think all dogs are react differently to different things. Good luck with your decision! And my ultimate advice is, if you decide to crop make sure you go to someone who really knows Dane crops (get pics of their work!) or they will do a hack job and your crop will look like crap.
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
                  The second issue was listening to the pup scream when it woke up out of anaesthesia even with the pain meds. No owners hear that part. Then the breeder brought her back and when we took out the stitches she screamed bloody murder again. I was done with cropping at that point. Just thinking about that pup brings the screams to my ears.
                  I have had several litters cropped and stayed with the puppies through the whole procedure. I have NEVER had a puppy scream coming out of anesthesia nor have I had a puppy scream when we took the stitches out.

I loved my cropped danes and it is my personal preference. I have had a dane that was not cropped and love her to. That being said, both sets of ears are lovely to stroke. Being cropped doesn't take the velvet feeling off the ears.

JMHO
                  Nancy
                  Calico Rock Danes
                  Alabama

Comment

i have a natural dane right now, but my next will be a show pup and i will have it cropped. i like the look of both, but only on certain colors haha

fawns i prefer cropped
                    brindles i prefer cropped
                    mantles either way
                    blues either way
                    blacks either way
                    harls i prefer natural
                    on merles and any mismark i prefer natural

i dont go into the debate of whether it is a "humane" or "inhumane" procedure. yes it is cosmetic, yes there are risks.

to someone debating on cropping i would tell them to consider the amount of time and dedication it takes to tape and clean and retape for however long, and even then you run the risk of a crop flop. if youre going to do it, find a very dane savvy cropping expert
                    sam: mom to 2 danes (Romeo/mantle merle and Daegan/fawn), and Cora, the ragdoll kitty.

"inside every Great Dane is a puppy just longing to climb into your lap"

Comment

I have one of each, a natural eared girl and a cropped boy. I love my Lexi's soft floppy ears, but I also love the look of a nicely cropped Dane head. We got Lexi when she was already 4 months old so we didn't have the choice to crop and at the time it didn't matter, I fell in love with her and wanted her just the way she was. I knew my next Dane I wanted a fawn male with cropped ears and we finally got him just a few weeks ago! I admit I was a little nervous about caring for cropped ears but it has been so easy and Leo LOVES when I clean and tape his ears. It's one of the only times during the day that he sits calm and quiet, it's like our bonding time he sits or lays like a good boy and let's mama make his ears pretty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                      sigpic
                      Melissa ~ mama to 8 human babies, and 2 furbabies! Lexi (almost 4yr old fawn great dane) and my new fawn male Leonidas aka Leo, 13 weeks old

Comment

We got Loki at 8 months.. he came cropped and taping was already done! I love how his ears look - it's a fantastic crop.

If we were to get a puppy tomorrow though, I'm not sure we'd crop. I worry about crop flop. I worry that the number of vets in my area that can do a nice job are few and far between. I worry that I would suck at taping and muck the whole thing up (you need some serious dedication to the taping process!). Cropped is my preference but not sure we'd do it.

Comment

Louis is natural - we just like the look & didn't see the point of surgery, especially since he was destined to be a pet. That being said, his sister is cropped and looks GORGEOUS - IMO it comes down to personal choice.

Comment

I watched one of my past danes being cropped. I got a little queasy, but it had not ill effect on the pup.
                            "The human language, as precise as it is with its thousands of words, can still be so wonderfully vague"....Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Comment

We did not crop ours but wouldn't be against having one that was and our Dobie wasn't cropped either so we always got the "what's she mixed with" comment. If its what you really want then do it, but like others have said, find a pro!

Comment

Working...
                              X