Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batman's Crop, 2 days in. Advice please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman's Crop, 2 days in. Advice please?

I had batman's ears cropped 2 days ago. We brought him home from the vet with his vetwrapped bandaid head and let it stay on for 24 hours. Removed the vet wrap and bandages from the ears (taped to a cup). He had a lot of seepage on his right ear and I cleaned it up the best I could, applied neosporin after letting the ears air for about an hour. Then as advised, I put an old crew sock over the cup and ears. I had to put Batman in the cone of FUN (ive never seen a dog who plays by carrying his tennis ball in a cone with him before), he was scratching every minute or two and not leaving them be.

He is on antibiotics for a few days as a precaution, Pain killer as needed (havent needed it)

Ive left the sock alone for today, the vet saying to change the socks every 2 days and will be changing it tomorrow. Theres been more seeping of the ears, enough to be able to see through the sock on the one ear, a little along the cut edges..

What im asking advice about, is ear cleaning. Nothing was really mentioned about it. To clean or leave alone(as long as no signs of infection), ointment or goldbond, Keep the sock on or allow to be open to air?

Im a little nervous about messing with his stitches in the bell area and dont want to pull to much on them from cleaning. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
    sigpic
    Mother of 4 human kids, 1 berner/aussie mix-Izzy-, 2 great danes-Asia -Batman-

I'd love to see a picture of him with the cone, ball and cup on his head
    You definitely don't wanna mess w/ the sutures.
    I would call the vet with your questions only because it was his/her surgical procedure and the pup is that vet's patient....by calling him/her you will increase the chances of a good outcome
    sigpicDanemommd
    Dante and Louis

Comment

I would avoid neosporin, you want the edges to scar. It helps give the ears rigidity. I would put Gold Bond (yellowish/orange bottle) Powder on the ears to help absorb moisture and reducing the itching (it has a cooling sensation to it). Continue to use Gold Bond for every taping.
      sigpic
      Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
      Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Watch closely. When Mister had his ears done, the day before we got him, the Vet had only taped the ears up and for some reason unknown, didn't use a cup. Mister was wearing the plastic cone for about 24 hours and his left ear was already kind of weepy. I had made him a thick flannel neck collar to protect his ears and we put socks on his back feet so he wouldn't scratch on the flight home. We flew home two days after the crop. Then two days later it just looked nasty and the Vet (here) said the suture had rotted and he had to resuture after irrigating a nasty infection. He was cropped on a Thursday, we picked him up Friday with questionable left ear, flew back to Alaska Saturday morning and had him in the Vet office Monday. Watch closely.
        Attached Files

Comment

watching

I'm always worried about these kind of things. I took the sock off today, it puling a few of the scabs with it ago i decided to give him some cone free time and gave him a lot of scratches on his head around the ears, and spent a good 30 minutes on our first training session while i waited for the fresh blood to dry and the rest of the ears to dry up as well. after about an hour when it was all nice and dry i dusted on gold bond powder all over his ears, the majority getting on hubbies black jeans, dusted the inside of the fresh sock before putting it on and the cone back. his ears looked so much better today, no more seeping.
          sigpic
          Mother of 4 human kids, 1 berner/aussie mix-Izzy-, 2 great danes-Asia -Batman-

Comment

Working...
          X