Natural Ear Taping an Adult Dog?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Ear Taping an Adult Dog?

Probably not much point is there? I wish Deacon would have been cropped, but he wasnt and now he grown and sometimes it bothers me that he holds his ears like this most of the time.

It just makes him look dopey, and he is anything but. At full alert, they are good enough. But relaxed, I get goofy ears.

My next dane will be cropped so I can have a who new set of worries if the ears are not exactly right, or if the crop is not exactly what I want... I obsess over ears the same as I do over legs.

So I know it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway. But my husband thinks I need to just let it go and his ears are fine. I know they are fine, I just want a good lay to them. To me, in photographs the ears take away from his regal look. I am so funny about protecting his ears and tail from injury. I love to borrow trouble apparently.
    --Vickie--
    sigpic

Deacon - Harl born 2-10-09
    Noodle - Black born 7-4-09

I was the exact same way about Daisy's ears. They sit alot nicer now, but when she was younger I planned to tape them. I bought the tape and everything, but my boyfriend didnt want me to, he thought I was being silly. I thought, fine - I'll just wait until you leave and then I will tape them, but by then they were sitting a bit better, so I decided not to bother and stop worrying about it.

I was the same as you though ..... I love taking pictures and thought she just looked better/prettier when her ears are sitting nicely. I still get a few good shots with good ears about half the time. The rest of the time her ears are back or flipped back.

I have heard of people taping their adult dogs ears and it making a difference in some cases. Maybe you should give it a try??
    sigpic
    Melissa ..... Proud Mom to:
    Tank - Fawn English Mastiff, 4.5 years old(http://facebook.com/tanklindsay) &
    Daisy - Merle Great Dane, 2 years old(http://facebook.com/daisylindsay)

Comment

I think he looks great with his ears. Handsome face.

Comment

Originally posted by saharadane View Post
        I think he looks great with his ears. Handsome face.
        I agree ... He is very handsome!
        sigpic
        Melissa ..... Proud Mom to:
        Tank - Fawn English Mastiff, 4.5 years old(http://facebook.com/tanklindsay) &
        Daisy - Merle Great Dane, 2 years old(http://facebook.com/daisylindsay)

Comment

Oh he is a sweet dog. I love him very much regardless. I may just let it go, but it is just one of those things. I know I can't fix his mismark, roach back, steep croup, no rear angulation and upright shoulders.... but I might could help him out with his ears. I know there is no hope for Noodles ears. He has the tiniest ears I have ever seen on a dane. He too is uncropped and he has ears like an Italian Greyhound and almost as tiny...
          --Vickie--
          sigpic

Deacon - Harl born 2-10-09
          Noodle - Black born 7-4-09

Comment

I love goofy ears, but then again my Sam is a goofy girl.
            sigpic
            Hank 02/07/2010
            Sam 08/25/2007 - 06/28/2013

Comment

My Chaos had super wonky ears, and he was a harl, so he looked like a clown all the time. We taped Ximmy's for quite a while. They are somewhat wonky now, but we didn't tape them as long as we should have to make them lay correctly. I have been trying to get Lynz to tape them again as she won't be 2 until next month, but she isn't buying it.

Sprocket gets taped at least 3 days a week, sometimes more. he is teething so those ears go up and down constantly, but we can't leave him taped more than a day or two at a time because his ears seem to get nasty quickly.

I am paranoid about ear infections after my Ditto and his constant yeasty ears.
              sigpicLynn - Ximmy's Mom's Mom - John & Lynsie, skin kids, Faela & Gus skin grandkids,OnzaPous, ReignaPous, Banshee & Kit-ten and now Dare Devil and Fuzzy Butt the cats, and of course......Ximmy Ximmy Xoom Xoom and [COLOR=red]Sprocket (aka Sprockey Wocky Puppy Pants) and Sibanca our newest Dane rescue

Comment

I totally see what you're saying, but FWIW, he's absolutely precious and his ears aren't goofy IMO, I think they look really nice. Sometimes Mozart holds his in a way that I'm like...Oh, I hope they don't stick that way! But overall I am happy with my decision to get a dane who was not cropped. I have heard that taping makes a big difference and a few nice DOL'ers even posted before and after pics for me in a thread.
                sigpic
                Loving our first Dane, "Mozart", 5 months
                Waiting at the bridge, beloved "Forrest", Shepherd mix, 01/04 - 04/11

Comment

Working...
                X