Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to stop taping?

When to stop taping?

So we had anticipated wrapping Maggie's ears forever since her sire required long term taping but now I'm wondering....

Last week we accidentally ran out of tape and instead of the usual one day untaped Maggie went two and a half days untaped and her ears never fell. Not even the tips. She is now five months old and I'm debating slowly leaving them untaped for longer and longer periods of time? Or should I just keep it up until she is done teething and then start weaning her off the wraps? How do you know when you're done? Do you take them back to the ear doc for a final exam?
    sigpicIntroducing Miss Maggie Maggie - 3 Years Old

I would leave them down till they start to sag...you may be lucky and be done with it...each dog is different depending on their ear leather and the skill of the vet.
    sigpic Shash
    Flynn always in my heart
    Artie, Piebald Tempo, Mantle
    Leo, Harlequin Ch Bella, queen

Comment

I personally have no experience with taping as I have never before dealt with a cropped dog... However, I do know that during teething the ears can get wonky and do all sorts of crazy things (yes, even when natural, I know Bambi's did). My advice would be to at least continue to tape around the base and tips throughout the teething stage and then take it from there.
      Teresa n
      sigpic

Comment

I would continue taping until at least 6 months, be sure to be through teething. Then if the ears stay up, leave them out of tape until they droop. If they don't, you are done.
        sigpic
        Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
        Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Thanks everybody!

So I'm thinking we will tape another month and them start leaving them off and see what happens....

Comment

Question: what do you mean by drooping? do you mean flopping midway down the ear? i notice when i take Leo's ears down they stand straight up but if he is relaxed they go straight out to the sides. He is not done taping by anymeans but i wanted to know what you mean by flopping? sometimes his left ear will flop inwards from the middle up. but most of the time they just go straight out each side like a "T"..also when i am done taping will they stand straight up all the time or go like a "T" when he's relaxed??

Comment

Ears can still move all over when they are done being taped. You just don't want them "flopping" mid way up the ear where they would be bent over if they were natural. Here's Rupert with his ears back on his head...

~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Zephyr rocks the Yoda look when he's relaxed or sleeping:
                Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Just spoke with my breeder and at about 6 months old i will be taping a different way

Comment

Awww Maggie's old thread got brought back up

Funny thing that looking back now to when I posted my last comment, she was 5 months old, and I probably could've stopped taping but I was nervous to stop. We taped for shorter periods of time for the next 2 weeks then took her back to the ear doc who said she was done. But then I read on DOL about taping though teething so I taped for another 2 weeks anyway until we ran out of tape. We finally stopped taping at 6 months old.

As for how to know, here's my two cents but I'm no expert ....

The ears should never:
                    -bend and make a crease
                    -have floppy tips
                    -fold over the top of the head
                    -hand straight back down like natural ears
                    -roll in or over at the edges

But they can:
                    -stand in a wide "V" shape when relaxed or sleeping
                    -be flatten backwards against the head by the dog when happy, playing, running etc

When almost done:
                    -they will be upright when alert but when relaxed instead of a "V" you will see a Yoda ear or a "T" shape. Keep taping.

Comment

Originally posted by Natanya View Post
                      Awww Maggie's old thread got brought back up

Funny thing that looking back now to when I posted my last comment, she was 5 months old, and I probably could've stopped taping but I was nervous to stop. We taped for shorter periods of time for the next 2 weeks then took her back to the ear doc who said she was done. But then I read on DOL about taping though teething so I taped for another 2 weeks anyway until we ran out of tape. We finally stopped taping at 6 months old.

As for how to know, here's my two cents but I'm no expert ....

The ears should never:
                      -bend and make a crease
                      -have floppy tips
                      -fold over the top of the head
                      -hand straight back down like natural ears
                      -roll in or over at the edges

But they can:
                      -stand in a wide "V" shape when relaxed or sleeping
                      -be flatten backwards against the head by the dog when happy, playing, running etc

When almost done:
                      -they will be upright when alert but when relaxed instead of a "V" you will see a Yoda ear or a "T" shape. Keep taping.
                      THank you so much!!! we are in the "almost done" stage..i am definately taping through the teething which should be starting at anytime! so i would say another 8weeks..

Comment

Ooookay I am resurrecting this thread again! Diesel is 6.5 months and I'm beginning to think his ears might soon be finished in the next couple weeks. We took them down Saturday morning and they have been out of tapes since then(3 1/2 days or so) and his ears have been standing well. His right tip is just a bit more wobbly than the left, but it hasn't folded over, nor has it fell out to the side. His bases are solid and stand wonderfully. I'm considering putting breathe-rite strips to support the tips just to be on the safe side.

So my question is, should I leave them out of posts and tapes until they start to droop? Or should we keep putting them up for a couple weeks still to be extra sure? TIA!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353424191.712831.jpg
                        Ears fully alert

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353424232.258241.jpg
                        This is the "wobbly" right ear that I'm referring to

~Dana~
                        Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
                        sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Comment

IMO... that's more of a mid-ear lean.... and would keep taping.

A tip to me is the top maybe inch...

Keep up the good work!

6.5 months is fairly young for an AVERAGE male to be done taping IMO.
                          sigpic
                          Nitro- Female Mastiff x Dane - July 3, 2010 - July 27, 2013 (RIP Sweet Girl)
                          Moose - Male Great Dane - June 3, 2011
                          Rush - Male Great Dane - April 8th, 2015 (MBPIS MBPIG Can. GCH Group Placing Paquestone's Intense Rush)

Comment

If it's just the tips you can try the breathe rite strips. When Zephyr was 6 months I left his ears down just to see how long they'd stay and that was it. Riddle's came down before our last show on Oct.25th and have been down since. He was 8 months on the 12th.
                            Zephyr CGN, RE, TT- crazy harlequin
                            Divine Acres Riddle Me This- regal fawn

http://thegrownups.ca/ on life and (not) growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by TMedic37 View Post
                              IMO... that's more of a mid-ear lean.... and would keep taping.

A tip to me is the top maybe inch...

Keep up the good work!

6.5 months is fairly young for an AVERAGE male to be done taping IMO.
                              I was thinking the same, but haven't seen it "lean" or wobble in three days, so I didn't know if the ear was developed enough now or not.

When should I put him back in the tapes then? I can certainly do it now, but didn't think we needed to if they were standing well.

~Dana~
                              Proud momma of Diesel and Eva
                              sigpic

Rest in peace, my sweet angel Dixie 3/2/2013

Comment

Working...
                              X