Ooze, Smelly, and bleeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooze, Smelly, and bleeding

Our dane is 15 weeks old and we had his ears cropped last wednesday. He goes back to the vet tomorrow. The vet put tape on them and he has had the same tape on them for going on almost 6 days now. They are very smelly, and there is stinky ooze coming from them. He has also had a fever that we have been giving him asprin for. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to take the tape off of them even though he has only had them done for 6 days now. The tape is almost to come off already by itself from him messing with them so much. When he goes outside to potty he goes straight for the grass and starts rubbing his ears on the ground.

I kinda feel bad now for having had them cropped. I just hope everything turns out ok and then end up standing. The way thing look right now, I believe them may be infected. I thought about taking the tape off myself since he is going to the vet tomorrow,but I'm afraid if I do that then he will really scratch at them and make them worse.

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with your dane's or your dog's cropped ears ? This is my 1st dane and my 1st experience ever having a dog's ears cropped before.

Originally posted by Kash View Post
    Our dane is 15 weeks old and we had his ears cropped last wednesday. He goes back to the vet tomorrow. The vet put tape on them and he has had the same tape on them for going on almost 6 days now. They are very smelly, and there is stinky ooze coming from them. He has also had a fever that we have been giving him asprin for. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to take the tape off of them even though he has only had them done for 6 days now. The tape is almost to come off already by itself from him messing with them so much. When he goes outside to potty he goes straight for the grass and starts rubbing his ears on the ground.

I kinda feel bad now for having had them cropped. I just hope everything turns out ok and then end up standing. The way thing look right now, I believe them may be infected. I thought about taking the tape off myself since he is going to the vet tomorrow,but I'm afraid if I do that then he will really scratch at them and make them worse.

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with your dane's or your dog's cropped ears ? This is my 1st dane and my 1st experience ever having a dog's ears cropped before.
    It sounds as though they are almost DEFINITELY infected. 14 weeks is also pretty old for a crop. Do you have ANY support from your breeder?
    Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
    Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Not to sound rude but when did you first notice the problem with his ears? I would have taken him to the vet immediately after noticing it. Smell and ooze scream infection to me, and if the tapes have been holding all this in I wonder if maybe the tapes are too tight and parts of his ear tissue may be dead/dying. I would get him in A.S.A.P. Also, I would not give him aspirin. There are many dog specific medications out there that are much better.
      sigpic
      Dreamer, Lennon, and Nathan lounging at Nanny's house.

Of all the things I've lost...I miss my Danes the most..

Comment

Originally posted by lennonsmommy View Post
        Not to sound rude but when did you first notice the problem with his ears? I would have taken him to the vet immediately after noticing it. Smell and ooze scream infection to me, and if the tapes have been holding all this in I wonder if maybe the tapes are too tight and parts of his ear tissue may be dead/dying. I would get him in A.S.A.P. Also, I would not give him aspirin. There are many dog specific medications out there that are much better.

This just started about 2 days ago. Vet was closed and the vet I took him to was out of town vet. He goes back tomorrow. I've heard lots of folks say to only give dog asprin. What is something more appropriate to give a dog other then asprin?

Comment

Take the tapes off. Wash off the ooze with antibacterial soap. Put on neosporine on any small cuts and make a vet appt ASAP.

Comment

Hi if it was my pup I would get the tape off asap clean the ears up and most important inspect that ear to make sure the tape was not on to tight....A small odor on a freshly cropped ear is normal especially in a State like I live in Florida that ear gets humid. But like I said a small oror no ooze this is not a good sign when is your appt? Please keep us posted.
            Asiasigpic

Comment

In alabama right now its extremely hot and humid as stated above. Allowing him to rub his ears on the grass/ground is not going to help your case though; I would take him out to potty on leash for the time being to help curb his rubbing the open wounds on the ground (which typically has feces and/or decomposing bugs/animal remains remnants of some kind, not to mention fungus and parasites).

How much information and literature did your veterinarian give you prior to doing the crop; were you given a good idea of exactly what you were getting yourself into?

I may be mis-interpretting this, but it sounds like you aren't prepared for the actual length of time a taped crop needs to be done/maintained in order to get a good crop. You should expect to be taping and changing bandages for somewhere between 6-12 months; not 6-10 days.

I agree that 14 weeks is a little old to be getting a crop, its usually not recommended after 10 weeks... and most do it at 7-8 weeks. I suggest you get him/her to the vet ASAP and get as much literature as possible from your vet on upkeep and maintenance of your dog's crop; you need to ask questions and make sure you're absolutely certain you understand completely so that you can adequately care for and maintain the proper sanitary measures, as well as keeping them posted and taped correctly so you get a good shape.

Don't be afraid to ask a TON of questions... you should take a notebook and write it all down and follow the directions to the letter; otherwise you could spend months on it and still get a shoddy crop job. Its always a little tricky when its your 1st dane and crop, so getting all the info is imperative and will help you out along the way...

also, cropping is very much an artform, and vets who are good at it can really provide a ton of good tricks and methods to help make it easier.

Also, don't hesitate to ask more here on DOL as many DOL'ers are show people and have had 20-30+ crops done over decades of experience...

If you don't mind me asking, what type of crop did you get; medium or long show crop? It makes a difference because you tape and post differently.

Good luck and keep us posted.
              - Chris
              "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal"
              sigpic

Comment

Great reply from Chris...He brought up very good points this is a long process it took us till now and Asia is 17 months to complete...Some are less so not to panic but it will need your constant attention. I missed the 14 weeks you mentioned that is old for a crop but some have had success at this age also not to panic..Just get in with your Reg. vet and make sure no infections is going on. Good luck
                Asiasigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lennonsmommy View Post
                  I just wanted to bring attention to this part of lennonsmommy's post - YES the ear leather could absolutely be dead or dying. You need to get those tapes off immediately. He sounds very very infected, and it's likely the cause of his fever as well. Please take this seriously...it's more about your puppy's health at this point than it is about the ears standing.
                  Katie & Scarlett
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with everyone else. Personally I am surprised the vet cropped the pup this late. Most vets won't go past 12 weeks. Get the tape off and get to a vet. make sure to use an adhesive remover when taking the tape off. I would then make sure you use Gold Bond at every taping to help absorb any moisture.
                    sigpic
                    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

In regards to the aspirin, yes in some cases it is ok. I've been a vet tech for over 10 years and have seen it used successfully many times for pain. In your pups case fever probably equals infection. He should be getting antibiotics and a more appropriate pain medication. An anti-inflammatory perhaps. Aspirin may help with some of the pain but does nothing for the infection.
                      sigpic

Comment

I hope you have gotten that tape off by now and at the vets office. This is very alarming. I too am afraid that the tape is too tight. I have never had a cropped dog, but I did not think the ears were taped until the stitches came out.
                        --Vickie--
                        sigpic

Deacon - Harl born 2-10-09
                        Noodle - Black born 7-4-09

Comment

I thought all vets left the cut edge exposed to air? Isn't that why they do the foam block or cup? So ears can be taped in middle and front with back edge untapped? I'd just take the tape off if you haven't yet, maybe switch vets for the taping part since maybe they did it wrong. I'm betting you can get plenty of help here with how to post and keep the raw edge open to air.

Comment

Looking for an update on your baby. Please let us know how things turn out!
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree with the previous post! Our boy was just cropped last week and on the day he came home he was wrapped in gauze around a cone but we were told to remove that after 24 hours. When we removed the gauze there was only 1 strand of tape holding each ear to the cone but the stitches were completely exposed to air and will be removed when it has been a week THEN we still have one more week taped (with one strand) to the cone for healing before we can start taping and posting his ears completely!!!

I would call your vet to see if you can get him in earlier, I would be afraid to remove the tape myself because I have heard mention of pieces of ear coming off with tape and if it is already dying or festering that seems more probable to me

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this and I hope it all works out and that it sounds or looks worse than it really is
                              STORMAN NORMAN 4/25/11
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X