do most vets use a form after they crop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do most vets use a form after they crop

Does a form help a lot while the stitches are in? Do all vets use them?

I'm not sure I understand the question?
    sigpic
    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

I think they mean a cup on the head. Some do, some don't.

Martha
      sigpic

Comment

I'm talking about the metal brace thing it looks like this

http://image3.examiner.com/images/bl...op2%281%29.jpg

Comment

IME, they are rarely used. I personally have never used one. I know others that like to use them. I guess it is personal preference, but the majority of the Dane world does NOT use them.
          sigpic
          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

As stated above, they are not commonly used. The racks are more of an alternative to posting/taping.
            Mari
            Twin Bay Danes

Comment

Originally posted by daneowned View Post
              I think they mean a cup on the head. Some do, some don't.

Martha
              My first GD did not have a foam cup (assuming that is what you mean), but my second(current one) did. He was eventually moved to a metal brace system similar to the picture linked in this thread. The problem with the cup in my view is that it has the potential to create a rub area on the head which is what happened to my puppy. The breeder dismissed it as "just a rub area that would heal with Neosporin", but in my case it created a permanent scar that will not grow hair.
              So while the cup may work for some people, they should take care not to allow it to create pressure on one spot of the head.

Now if you are referring to the foam caulking stacks placed in the ears and taped into place, yes some vets use it. That is the way my first GD came home, and it is the method currently being used for my pup.
              It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt - April 23, 1910

Comment

Willis had a foam block between his ears. It seemed to work well.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
                  I'm talking about the metal brace thing it looks like this

http://image3.examiner.com/images/bl...op2%281%29.jpg
                  I don't think many breeders use this form of what I call "Air and Healing time" any more. The cup and foam is lighter and easier to deal with rather having a big bulky object on their head. The cup should very lightly touch the head at all. I normally cut out a V on both sides to allow the cup to give way and no rubbing in one area. Plus I don't know if the vet even does the cups, mine told me if i want cups I have to do them myself, if no cups they glue the ears together. I don't recommend the gluing.

Now there was one breeder on their website that I saw use the wire metal method but those were very old pictures.
                  Member:
                  Macon Kennel Club
                  & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

I know a breeder who currently uses a "rack", but that is the exception to the rule.
                    sigpic
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Working...
                    X