Taking off ear tapes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking off ear tapes

I need some guidence!!! Jaxson's ear tapes need to be taken off, And the breeder used quite a bit of skin bond on his ear tapes, And said to cut them, then "Pull" them straight up and off...She said "yes, it will hurt but they get use to it"

That crap is pulling his fur off...Is there a way to loosen the bond before
    removing them?? This is B.S. to me, And i will be taping his ears without the glue from now on....

Help!

They also didn't remove the goo from the previous taping, So it's built up on his ears and maybe adding to the problem...
    Divine Acres Willow You Marry Me ~Fawn Femalesigpic

Use adhesive remover. It takes the sticky off and makes taking the tapes off a lot more tolerable. I found that out late too and thanks to this board!
    sigpic

Comment

Use the remover Before trying to remove them?? or after there removed??

He's been doing so well...I just don't want him to hate us for hurting him

Comment

Depending on the kind of remover you get you can either soak the tapes in the remover (liquid kind) or you can slowly peel and use the remover (wipes kind). I use the Uni-Solve wipes and I cut up the back of the ear very carefully. Then open the tape up and start just pulling the tape off as I wipe the remover underneath and pull a little more and keep going until they are all off.
        Meg
        AeroDanes

Comment

I use uni-solve bottles. The wipes just didn't cut it for us (too dry). We wet some cotton balls and then apply it all over the tape before removing them (applying more as we remove the tape). It has made removing the tape painless and quick (TY lwrees72).

We do not cut the tape at all.
          sigpic

Comment

I think if the tape is thin enough you can sort of soak the outside too, to loosen it even more.
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Being it was Midnight, We went to Wal-Mart and got some stuff..

I bought some cotton balls and some lacquer thinner..

I soaked the tapes up with it after i made the cuts on the back..

Worked like a charm...Except it seems one of his ears was rather tender,
              The post was in deeper than it should have been...He was in alot of discomfort till i got the post removed...

And his ear is kind of stinky...so i'm going to air them out all night
              and clean them well....And remove all of the built up goo that the breeder
              left from previous tapings. I just cannot believe she said to cut the back loose and just rip them off....

I'd like to glue some duct-tape her head and rip it off..so she can see what it feels like..

Comment

Are you supposed to use a harsh chemical like lacquer thinner on ears? My understanding of adhesive remover for ears is the type you can buy in the drug store.

Also, if you are packing on the Gold Bond, the tape shouldn't so much stick to the ear, but should just wrap around the ear to hold it in place, then stick to itself.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malyshka View Post
                  I use uni-solve bottles. The wipes just didn't cut it for us (too dry). We wet some cotton balls and then apply it all over the tape before removing them (applying more as we remove the tape). It has made removing the tape painless and quick (TY lwrees72).

We do not cut the tape at all.
                  Glad to help! I LOVE Smith & Nephew Adhesive remover. Makes taping SO much EASIER!
                  sigpic
                  Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                  Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                  www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dane named Kane View Post
                    Being it was Midnight, We went to Wal-Mart and got some stuff..

I bought some cotton balls and some lacquer thinner..

I soaked the tapes up with it after i made the cuts on the back..

Worked like a charm...Except it seems one of his ears was rather tender,
                    The post was in deeper than it should have been...He was in alot of discomfort till i got the post removed...

And his ear is kind of stinky...so i'm going to air them out all night
                    and clean them well....And remove all of the built up goo that the breeder
                    left from previous tapings. I just cannot believe she said to cut the back loose and just rip them off....

I'd like to glue some duct-tape her head and rip it off..so she can see what it feels like..
                    Clean the ears with rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining adhesive remover. GO to yor pharmacy and order Smith & Nephew Uni-Solve Or Remove. They can usually get it in the next day!
                    sigpic
                    Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                    Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

In an EMERGENCY you can use Goo Gone or WD40, both of which are safe to use but not for regular use. I wouldn't suggest lacquer thinner as the ear leather is much too sensitive for this harsh a chemical.

I use Unisolve.
                      Nancy
                      Calico Rock Danes
                      Alabama

Comment

Unisolve is great. I always put my finger between the tape and the ear when making any cuts on the tape so I wouldn't accidently nick the ear. The quickest way to turn a dog off to having it's ears done is to do what your breeder said... and lacquer thinner is way too harsh as some others have said.

Martha
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X