This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone not crop their dogs ears??

I'm not sayings its right or wrong, because theyre your dogs and its perfectly legal in america and so many people seem to do it, but here it's illegal and I'm just wondering if there are any other people here who think the natural ears look nicer- like me!
    Last edited by HarlequinHorror; 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM. Reason: detail
    sigpic

I will admit I like the look of a good crop, but I won't do it. I like the natural look as well

Comment

There are quite a few members on here that have dogs without crops. I know in my boy's litter, only him and his sister were cropped and the other 5 were left natural. Leaving natural is becoming increasingly popular.
      sigpic

Comment

I have to agree a good crop looks very regal to me, but I think it depends on the dog. I love Zoey's big goofy ears, they seem to fit her.
        sigpic

Comment

they don't look bad, but i think its unneccesary, it makes them appear more aggressive when they really aren't! I think they look regal with or without them, I think if you want a dog with pointed ears get a german shepherd!
          I have a feeling people won't agree with this but it's just my oppinion sorry
          Actually, if we asked our vet to do it, we would probably get spat at in the face!
          Last edited by HarlequinHorror; 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM. Reason: added last line
          sigpic

Comment

It's a matter of personnal opinion.. and like buttholes... everyone has one. There are plenty of people who like natural ears and plenty that like cropped.
            sigpic
            -Sara-
            -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Personaly I like the look of cropped ears for the boys only because it does make them appear more regal and fearsome but for the girls (like my Heidi) I prefer the soft natural look.
              sigpic
              Steeler

Comment

Careful...this could be another cropping debate in the making! LOL!

I prefer the cropped look entirely, but do appreciate the beauty of a GOOD natural ear set. Just like natural ears are better than a flopped crop, sometimes the flying nun ears make me wish the dog was cropped, or at least had the natural ears taped properly.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
                  Careful...this could be another cropping debate in the making! LOL!

I prefer the cropped look entirely, but do appreciate the beauty of a GOOD natural ear set. Just like natural ears are better than a flopped crop, sometimes the flying nun ears make me wish the dog was cropped, or at least had the natural ears taped properly.
                  Natural ears taped properly? How, why and when would that be done. What would "properly" look like.
                  sigpic
                  Steeler

Comment

Do they use general anaesthetic? I could never put mine through that, the only time I would put her under was for spaying, and of course any life threatening situations.. personally I think looks doesnt justify risking infection and that
                    sigpic

Comment

Taping Natural Ears

Many natural-eared danes' ears will flip back, raise themselves at the bases, etc. It's cute and all, but my personal opinion is that they are really unattractive on a dane head and I wish more people knew that you can train the ears to lay properly and not have a mind of their own.

I know several pet owners do this, but even owners of natural-eared show dogs will do this, since flying nun ears won't fly in the ring!

Nothing against the flying nun ears, but they are not my preference, just as cropped ears might not be someone else's preference.

EDIT: Heidi's Mom, to answer your question of what a proper ear set looks like...a proper ear set would look more or less like what idogolf has in her sig photo. Flying nun ears look like Heidi's do in your avatar. Annika, a brindle here on DOL, also has a really stunning natural ear set.
                      Last edited by dolmod; 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM.
                      Katie & Scarlett
                      sigpic

Comment

I actually like the look for cropped ears a lot, but would only go through the months and months of taping if I was going to show the dog. I am lazy... On the same note, I love Faust's ears and his ear set. I love when he gets the goblin look and his ears flip back which only happens rarely now. I cannot stop laughing.

I have seen some Danes with a poor ear set that look more like floppy boxer ears and it is very unattractive or ears that are too low on the head.

I actually do not think that the cropped look makes them look more "fearsome then they are" and I often think it is a misconception that all Danes are these goofy dogs. Faust is often goofy at home, but on a leash or working out in public he is anything but goofy. He can be very protective and reserved, yet listen instantly to a command. I personally do not find the breed to be the jokester they are often made out to be and possible I have just been lucky to fall into Danes that are more reserved and in touch with their guardian roots. There are very few people that laugh at Faust when he he stands at attention and lets loose a deep bark and rumble while we are walking at night.
                        sigpic

Comment

We'll never crop. I think natural looks so much better

Our puppy has SO MUCH personality in her ears. I'd hate to ever think of taking that away from her

Comment

hmm, well i suppose I don't care how harley's ears look cos we don't show her, she's just a pet, a goofy pet :P I do love her natural ears though, when she runs they do turn back, doesn't bother me much! I wouldnt do something so drastic as to do surgery to correct it or anything, if she was human and cared about her appearance then maybe, but frankly she could care less haha
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks so much Scarletts mum. That looks very easy. Any suggestions on how often to check the ears (other than when it obviously needs it)? Also about what age to danes teeth so I will make sure to do it at the right time? I like her goofy ears but would much prefer a more "perfected natural look".
                              sigpic
                              Steeler

Comment

Working...
                              X