X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redheadsnotwarheads
    started a topic Argh...back up they go.

Argh...back up they go.

Well, we're putting EVs ears back up tonight, her trouble ear is really bothering me. When fully alert, both eas are nearly perfect, however at "half-mast" or when bored her problem ear really hangs, not a break in the cartilage but a big fold. Grrrr. We're going to try popsicle sticks this time in hopes of a firmer hold. Wish us luck!

• gmromerosa
    replied
    Yup. Wait until at least 6.5 months and then do the tips. Like I suggested though, in my experience it's better to not leave them untaped for longer than a couple of hours at a time. Turner had a pretty good crop and ear leather and it still took a good 2 months of just taping the tips to get it to where I was satisfied with it.

Leave a comment:

• lwrees72
    replied
    Barb I would wait until closer to 6.5 months before just focusing on the tips. You want to make sure your pup is fully done teething, first.
    Last edited by lwrees72; 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• maxview
    replied
    Sorry for the repeat questions

Sorry computer froze up so I couldn't read the whole forum.....when I got back up and running again I was able to read through and see the instructions for the breathrite strips...

Thankyou
    BARB

Leave a comment:

• maxview
    replied
    Originally posted by gmromerosa View Post
    How old is EV now and how long have you been taping? The reason I ask is it can really take up to a year or so sometimes to get it to stand just right. I posted Turner's ears until he was about 6.5 months old and then did the tips until he was about 8.5 months old until I was satisfied enough to leave it alone.

May I ask what type of method you used for just the tips??
    My Zolton is now 6 months old and I tape for 5 days (whole ear with the backer rod) then take them out at the end of day 5 which is puppy class and leave them down for a bit.
    Usually on day 2 or 3 of being down the tip of one ear especially starts flopping a bit so back up both ears go.
    I just wondered how long should I keep taping the whole ear or just start on the tips and if so what method to use.

I am totally prepared to continue taping the whole ear though as we have gotten this far I sure don't intend on giving up!

Thankyou
    BARB

Leave a comment:

• gmromerosa
    replied
    Sounds like a plan Stan ! The only other thing I will add is to try it for at least a month with only a couple of hours or so without the BRS to air it out, and then after a month leave her ears alone and see if it worked. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• redheadsnotwarheads
    replied
    EV is 8 1/2 months, to be 9 mo. on the 5th. Her ears were down for about 3 weeks or so, but one ear just never did act right. The crop varied just slightly enough in just an important enough place on one ear that there is a bend (not really a break in the cartilage more like a curve) where the ear folds when they're scared or excited or shy. So we put the strips where the bend forms and taped up to the tips.

Leave a comment:

• gmromerosa
    replied
    I also did it on the inside to avoid the fur and it sticks better since it's directly on the skin. I remove the natural oils first with alcohol on cotton balls. I also sandwich it between the ear itself and athletic tape over it and then tape with paper tape following the natural contour of the ear. It lasts around 7-8 days until the natural oils keep it from adhering. How old is EV though? Is she actively teething as well?

Leave a comment:

• Twin Bay Danes
    replied
    Originally posted by redheadsnotwarheads View Post
    We ended up doubling the breathe right strips and sticking them on the inside, where the bend starts. Then we wrapped her ears gently in tape, as though taping around posts again. I wonder how long it will last...
    This is how I use breath right strips and it's always worked well.

I just had to put Evie's ears back up today. She just turned 5 months and they were doing great, but she's teething like crazy now....and then went the ears.... That always happens.

Leave a comment:

• Malyshka
    replied
    Originally posted by redheadsnotwarheads View Post
    We ended up doubling the breathe right strips and sticking them on the inside, where the bend starts. Then we wrapped her ears gently in tape, as though taping around posts again. I wonder how long it will last...
    How old is your Dane again?

Leave a comment:

• redheadsnotwarheads
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lwrees72
    replied
    I think the hairy part works better, as flippy tips usually flip inward. Although, it should work, either way.

Leave a comment:

• Malyshka
    replied
    Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
    You simply take a BRS or two, run them length wise (vertically) behind the tip of the ear, supporting where they would flop. The BRS has small plastic strips in it, that keep the ear from bending over (back toward the skull). Supplement with Knox and it should solve the issue with in a few weeks.
    On the inside of the ear or on the hairy part?

Leave a comment:

• ngould
    replied
    We've just started using the strips too and they seem to be working well. Almost done with Dexter's ears and I can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• Titan_87
    replied
    Here's a pic of Classic with BRS in his ears, I use tape instead of the surgical glue, works just fine.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X