Argh...back up they go.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh...back up they go.

Well, we're putting EVs ears back up tonight, her trouble ear is really bothering me. When fully alert, both eas are nearly perfect, however at "half-mast" or when bored her problem ear really hangs, not a break in the cartilage but a big fold. Grrrr. We're going to try popsicle sticks this time in hopes of a firmer hold. Wish us luck!

Aw man, that blows. Should be easily fixed, though.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

I hope so! I'm sure EV does too, she'd been enjoying her freedom!

Comment

Stick with it and they will be beautiful in the end. I know the feeling all too well.

I wanted to add....She really is beautiful.
        sigpic
        Roxy & Ace

Comment

Keep at it. I put Kaos' ears back up last night, too. They had been down for three weeks, but the tips are still a little too flippy for me. I would rather tape a few more weeks and get them to where I want them.
          sigpic
          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by redheadsnotwarheads View Post
            Well, we're putting EVs ears back up tonight, her trouble ear is really bothering me. When fully alert, both eas are nearly perfect, however at "half-mast" or when bored her problem ear really hangs, not a break in the cartilage but a big fold. Grrrr. We're going to try popsicle sticks this time in hopes of a firmer hold. Wish us luck!
            How old is EV now and how long have you been taping? The reason I ask is it can really take up to a year or so sometimes to get it to stand just right. I posted Turner's ears until he was about 6.5 months old and then did the tips until he was about 8.5 months old until I was satisfied enough to leave it alone.
            Gary
            sigpic Cooper 2 years old
            "Turner" Great Dane DOB: 4/7/2008
            "Cooper" Great Dane DOB: 11/20/2010
            "Lady" Beagle DOB: 8/24/2009
            "Penny" Miniature Bull Terrier DOB: 8/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by gmromerosa View Post
              How old is EV now and how long have you been taping? The reason I ask is it can really take up to a year or so sometimes to get it to stand just right. I posted Turner's ears until he was about 6.5 months old and then did the tips until he was about 8.5 months old until I was satisfied enough to leave it alone.
              How do you just tape the tips?
              sigpic

Comment

Many profess that BRS (Breathe Right Strips) on the rear side of the ear work wonders for the tips. The only way I have made that work is by using surgical glue to keep them in place. Works great until you want to take them off, even with adhesive remover, they remove alot of fur, that way! If you aren't showing, you could leave them on until the natural skin oils break down the glue.
                sigpic
                www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                  Many profess that BRS (Breathe Right Strips) on the rear side of the ear work wonders for the tips. The only way I have made that work is by using surgical glue to keep them in place. Works great until you want to take them off, even with adhesive remover, they remove alot of fur, that way! If you aren't showing, you could leave them on until the natural skin oils break down the glue.
                  I have trouble even visualizing this. Are there youtube videos for this too? Or pictures?
                  sigpic

Comment

You simply take a BRS or two, run them length wise (vertically) behind the tip of the ear, supporting where they would flop. The BRS has small plastic strips in it, that keep the ear from bending over (back toward the skull). Supplement with Knox and it should solve the issue with in a few weeks.
                    sigpic
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Here's a pic of Classic with BRS in his ears, I use tape instead of the surgical glue, works just fine.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic
                      -Sara-
                      -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

We've just started using the strips too and they seem to be working well. Almost done with Dexter's ears and I can't wait!
                        sigpic

Dexter's Mom

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                          You simply take a BRS or two, run them length wise (vertically) behind the tip of the ear, supporting where they would flop. The BRS has small plastic strips in it, that keep the ear from bending over (back toward the skull). Supplement with Knox and it should solve the issue with in a few weeks.
                          On the inside of the ear or on the hairy part?
                          sigpic

Comment

I think the hairy part works better, as flippy tips usually flip inward. Although, it should work, either way.
                            sigpic
                            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

We ended up doubling the breathe right strips and sticking them on the inside, where the bend starts. Then we wrapped her ears gently in tape, as though taping around posts again. I wonder how long it will last...

Comment

Working...
                              X