Taping Check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping Check

Can anyone verify this taping job looks okay? It's my first try. I thought I've read the bottom of the post should rest on the little bump on the inside of the ear, and that's where I have it as you can see in the picture. Intuitively, it should seem like the post should go down into the bell though so that it can help the bell get its shape. I don't want any pockets forming...
    Anyway, her ears can perk up on their own, the bridge will go slack, and when she relaxes, the bridge will tighten and hold her ears from going past 10 and 2.

The method I'm using is half foam backer rod (instead of a foam hair curler) with a zip tie secured to the side of the foam and extending to the tip.

Thanks.

I fixed the bridge since this picture so the tape connects at the at the bottom center of each ear - this bridge was connected too far to the back of her right ear.

I think it is a good job. I agree with you about putting the post right into the bell - that is what I did. I was also really anal about the fold on the back of the ear. I wanted a really nice point at the top with no curve in the ear, and that is what I got. Everyone has their own preferences, though. Be sure that when you put the rod into the bell that you pull up on the tip and tape it in place. This will prevent any pockets from forming.

Why are you using the zip tie? If you just use the whole backer rod instead of cutting it in half, the zip tie is unnecessary.

Be sure to use Gold Bond powder on the ear to prevent moisture and chafing.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

I have never posted into the bell. I have always rested my posts on the bump. The tape job looks fine. I would becareful to not tape to tightly up top. I actually extend my tape an 1/8th of an inch on both sides, so that it doesn't cause the top to curl. I also do not tape all the way past the tip. I like to be able to see the tip above the tape, to make sure it is not in jeopardy of swelling.
      sigpic
      Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
      Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

I think it looks like you did a great job for the first time! As far as the tips, just be sure that the tape is not too tight. I tape all my tips all the way like you do. I do not however, put the posts into the bell of the ear. I do also use the Gold Bond like Katie suggested.
        ~Amy~

Comment

Looks great for your first time! I put the stay down in the bell the first time I taped and Zuko hated it. Shook his head and the stay rubbed the inside of the bell raw. So, I'm posting higher now. I was worried about the bell shape, but I took his ears down on Saturday and they looked great!!!
          Jennie
          sigpic

Comment

We tape into the bell of the ear. We tried to put the post higher, but did not have a lot of success with it. Max doesn't seem to mind it though, and his ears are looking great. We left the ears down for 2 days last weekend and they still looked straight and up when we re-taped him.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't feel that the post should go into the bell. It just irritates the pup. I don't extend into the bell when I tape.

The side pic you have looks like you might not be pulling the ear up and slightly out because I see a pinch in the front of the ear. Might be because it is too tight.

Also, the bridge should come across the front of the ear, not the back.

Comment

Also, when putting the post into the bell of the ear, it can cause yeast infections and other ear infections with the moisture and dirt that gets trapped in the canal.

If you did not have success with just putting the post to the bump then you were not taping correctly or tight enough.
                ~Amy~

Comment

I found that when putting the foam posts into the bell it helped to hold the ears up a little better and I didn't need to use a bridge. When I only put the posts to the bumps the ears tended to flop to the sides & needed a bridge... so I kind of like going into the bell better. However, if it irritates your pup, then I'd only go to the bump.

I see that you taped around the foam posts. I didn't do that in the section that went into the bells. I just left the plain foam with no tape or adhesive - maybe that's why it didn't bother my pup.

If you do go into the bell, make sure that you go all the way down, or he'll tend to shake and have it flip out, which is worse than not going in at all.

Comment

Originally posted by arwun View Post
                    I found that when putting the foam posts into the bell it helped to hold the ears up a little better and I didn't need to use a bridge. When I only put the posts to the bumps the ears tended to flop to the sides & needed a bridge... so I kind of like going into the bell better.
                    I agree. Max has never had any problems due to us posting into the bell. I cut the bottom part of the post so it is small and narrow but strong enough to hold his ears straight. We no longer use a bridge.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X