Gold Bond for Ears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Bond for Ears

My 10 week old fawn pup just got out of her cup & stitches, and I just put her ears up in posts for the first time last night using a combo of backer rod foam for the bottom half, and a piece of zip tie extending over the foam and up to the tip.
    I got a bottle of Gold Bond body powder to help prevent moisture problems and was wondering three things:

1) When do you put it on? (before, during, or after taping is done)
    2) Where do you put it? (only in the part of the ear you tape back on itself, or over the entire inside? If it goes over the entire inside, it would seem the tape wouldn't stick to the ear...)
    3) How much do you put on? (cake it on so the fur is white or just a fine dusting that works its way in?)

Thanks!

Gold Bond for me was the first step to taping, and I used it every time. I always caked it on the back of the ear and rubbed some on my fingers to rub on the inside of the ear (not IN the ear). I also rubbed a bit on the outside of the bell. As you go along, you may find areas that tend to be a bit on the moist side when you untape, so be sure to put powder on those areas. The tape only needs to stick to itself and to the post, so as long as your fingers and the post are clean of powder, you should be fine.

If you start each piece of tape ON the post, it's a better way to tape than trying to get it to stick to the ear.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

I have a question about gold bond as well....
      Just curious..I have gold bond on hand..(ready for when I start taping) but right now Gus' ears are kinda red where the stitches are..not bleeding or pussing just red. The vet gave me an ointment to put on his ears to help them heal and I am tempted to stop using the ointment and just use the gold bond. It didnt make sense to use both because the ointment of course is moist and wet and the gold bond is dry. What do you guys think about this? Should I put the ointment away and start using the gold bond now? His stitches won't come out for another week...
      sigpic"To Err is human, to forgive canine"

Comment

I used Gold Bond on Kaos' ears. They turned out great!
        sigpic
        Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
        Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Logan....what do you think of Gus' situation? Should I use it now or wait?
          I'm fairly certain the redness is from his e-collar rubbing on his ears but I can't take it off because he can (and does) try to scratch with his hind legs.
          BTW....Kaos is beautiful...great ears too!

Comment

Originally posted by CCRom View Post
            Logan....what do you think of Gus' situation? Should I use it now or wait?
            I'm fairly certain the redness is from his e-collar rubbing on his ears but I can't take it off because he can (and does) try to scratch with his hind legs.
            BTW....Kaos is beautiful...great ears too!
            Hard to say without seeing pics of how bad the sores are. That said Gold Bond works wonders. Can you put socks on his feet and drop the e-collar? Gold Bond may help with the irritation and reduce the need to scratch, also.

Thanks for the kind words about Kaos.
            sigpic
            Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
            Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
              Hard to say without seeing pics of how bad the sores are. That said Gold Bond works wonders. Can you put socks on his feet and drop the e-collar? Gold Bond may help with the irritation and reduce the need to scratch, also.

Thanks for the kind words about Kaos.
              I may try the socks..The redness is not horrible..just slightly red along the stitching. Maybe I'm worried over nothing. I will call the vet tomorrow just to make sure. Thanks for your help...BTW I didn't mean to take over the thread, but since it was about gold bond I thought I would ask...hopefully the information may be useful to others..Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X