Cropping help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cropping help please

Betty's cup has fallen off today in her crate.

It is a 9 day old crop.
    Stiches are still in, and ears are still scabby and healing.

She is 10 weeks old tomorrow.

What should i do now? They are currently down and floppy. I am so scared.
    sigpic
    Nichole Monahan
    www.ohiogreatdanerescue.org
    www.meetup.com/greatdane-nwohio/

Ears

Leave them down until the stitches are removed then start taping.

Comment

what about "stretching"? Do i have to stretch them twice daily? and what is that I have never done nor heard of this technique...
      sigpic
      Nichole Monahan

Comment

Ears

No, Just leave them alone until the Vet takes the stitiches out and start taping.

Comment

9 day old crop? I'm guessing the stitches will be out soon right? She's fine. I wouldn't worry about it and agree it's no big deal to just leave them.
          ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

It should be fine. Even the vet who has done perhaps hundreds if not thousands of show ear crops told me when I had my puppy's ears done that it's no worry at all. Your real work will start after the stitches come out and the taping starts.
            Gary
            sigpic Cooper 2 years old
            "Turner" Great Dane DOB: 4/7/2008
            "Cooper" Great Dane DOB: 11/20/2010
            "Lady" Beagle DOB: 8/24/2009
            "Penny" Miniature Bull Terrier DOB: 8/17/2010

Comment

I would say you are fine! Some vets even tape newly cropped ears to the top of the head until stitches come out, instead of using a cup.
              Katie & Scarlett
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
                I would say you are fine! Some vets even tape newly cropped ears to the top of the head until stitches come out, instead of using a cup.
                Right Katie...This is how Gus' stitches are in right now. He is wearing an e-collar so he can't scratch the stitches out. That would be my only concern for the OP. I'm not sure how the cup works though, maybe the pups stitching is covered up where he can't get to them? At 9 days the stitches are close to coming out. My vet said 10-14 days...but she prefers 14.
                sigpic"To Err is human, to forgive canine"

Comment

thanks everyone...she definately does not scratch them...i guess i am going to tape them to her head and pull the stiches saturday...ugh...i forgot how much work it is...but worth it. they look a little shorter than i expected...they are a 3/4 of a show crop? hope that is long enough
                  sigpic
                  Nichole Monahan

Comment

Originally posted by ilovekbanda View Post
                    thanks everyone...she definately does not scratch them...i guess i am going to tape them to her head and pull the stiches saturday...ugh...i forgot how much work it is...but worth it. they look a little shorter than i expected...they are a 3/4 of a show crop? hope that is long enough

Nichole, you don't have to worry about taping them to her head or anything. Just let them floppy until the stitches are out. She will be fine, trust us! LOL! 3/4 of a show crop on a pet puppy is fine.
                    ~Amy~

Comment

I agree with Amy...3/4 show crop on a pet is fine.

I don't know if Scarlett's crop is a true show crop (she was my breeder's pick pup for show), but it seems shorter than show crops that I've seen on other DOL danes. But as you can see, it does suit a dane head rather nicely!

I think Betty will look fantastic.
                      Katie & Scarlett
                      sigpic

Comment

As said above, her ears will be just fine until her stitches come out.

All crops are different as far as length. Whoever does the cropping should take into account the size and shape of the head and it also depends on how long the ear leather was in the first place to determine the length of a crop.
                        Mari
                        Twin Bay Danes

Comment

Working...
                        X