Gus is home after surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gus is home after surgery

Well, we picked up Gus last night after having his ears done. He is doing quite well, as soon as we brought him home he wanted to eat and play so I am happy that he seems to be doing fine . The vet I chose does the method of taping the ears together and using a cone for 2 weeks...I don't know that it is the best post surgery method, but I refused to use a vet unless I could speak with owners of (and see the danes) they had previously done work on. She provided me with several contacts and I was pleased with all the owners feedback and the danes looked beautiful! I just hate that he has to wear that darn cone on his head for two weeks...even after a day he seems like he is getting the hang of it, but it is awkward at best. Also my other concern is that we will go 2 weeks without posting his ears. I don't know if this is a big deal or not (he is 9 1/2 weeks old now). Any comments or suggestions? I'm all ears...no pun intended!!
    Last edited by CCRom; 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM.
    sigpic"To Err is human, to forgive canine"

It won't be a big deal that they aren't posted while they are healing. Some vets choose this way others choose the cups on the head or the rack system.

You will just have to be very diligent on your taping once he is out of stitches and his sores are healed up.

Glad he is doing well! My pups were all ready to play and eat the same day too.
    ~Amy~

Comment

Thank you for the reply Amy. I'm glad to hear it shouldnt be a big deal about the posting. We are ready to start...we have all the supplies and are ready to go! Glad to hear your little ones did well after surgery as well!

Comment

I am glad Gus us doing well. My "first" was a dane/hound mix named Gus.
        I would get ready for the "oh that poor puppy" comments. Personally, I got so sick of uneducated opinions. Long after the stitches are out and the incision healed people see the tape and continue telling their children "don't touch his ears" when they reach to pet.

I can't wait to see pictures of the "new" Gus
        sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear Gus is doing well! I know the cup must seem like a nuisance but in two weeks when he is in tapes, you will miss your goofy little puppy in cups! They grow tooooo fast, so enjoy this time!

I agree, prepare yourself for the PETA folk who will give sad eyes to your puppy about his ears. But remember that when the taping is finished, people won't even know he's been cropped, they'll think he's always been that way. Annoying. I remember when Scarlett was in tapes, I got comments every day. She has been out of tapes for 7mos and have probably only had a handful of comments.
          Katie & Scarlett
          sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about the conehead. Has always worked great for us.
            Picture 1: Whisper the conehead. Picture 2: Whisper now.
            Attached Files
            Ann & John and Navy (b. 1/5/14)
            Whisper (Avatar 3/9/07 - 11/19/13)

Zip (2000-2007 - waiting at the Bridge)
            http://dolforum.com/forum/image.php?...ine=1215894342

Also at the Bridge: Woof, Natasha, Kippie, Black Jack, Thumper, Nigra Altair and Sean

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know what you mean already about the negative comments. I was getting them even before we had them done! I have learned (the hard way) that petsmart (i hope it's ok to use their name...if not please edit out) but anyway...they are sooooo against cropping. I went in there early on..(long before we got Gus) trying to get a good vet lined up and they were really nasty with me. Told me how they don't believe in cropping of the ears and so on. Please understand I think natural ears are beautiful too, it's just that my husband and I made this choice and if for some reason we could not have found someone we were 100 percent comfortable with we would not have done it. Thanks again everyone...and I will get some updated photos very soon....sorry I haven't done that already. I just love getting on here and looking at all the beautiful danes (Cropped and Natural!!)

Comment

Originally posted by CCRom View Post
                Please understand I think natural ears are beautiful too, it's just that my husband and I made this choice and if for some reason we could not have found someone we were 100 percent comfortable with we would not have done it.
                Ah, that's why I love my country, we still have the choice.
                ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                  Ditto that sparrow!!!

Comment

The 'conehead' method is quite common. Don't worry, it's not important that his ears are posted until after stitches are out. I'm glad to hear he is doing well. All of mine have not missed a beat after cropping, either. The vet actually had to give us a mild sedative for my harl boy when he was little, as he kept ramming his cone into everything like it wasn't even there. He ripped a couple of stitches out. I was a wreck. He looked at me like, 'What?!' Thank God my others haven't been that bad! lol Crazy furkids. Best of luck. Can't wait to see pics of your baby!
                    Mari
                    Twin Bay Danes

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                      Yes indeed!

Martha
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X