Cropping supplies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cropping supplies

Would anybody be willing to send me a starter list od supplies for tapeing my puppy ?
    I will be getting her the first week of December and I will be getting her with her stitches still in. My breeder sent me an email with a list attached but my computer could not open it and I thought while I wait for her to resend it I can start looking of supplies online. Thanks
    sigpic

Claire 16 weeks

I got the tape, Osto-Bond and UniSolve from Allegro Medical, they ship super fast !!!!
    G and Ozzy sigpic

Comment

We started out using the youtube method, they use paper tape. We ended up following great advice here and switching to Johnson and Johnson Zonas tape because it adheres well but is breathable. The 2 most important things are your tape and your adhesive remover ie. your dog doesn't hate getting taped/untaped. We went with Unisolve remover, again from advice here and both of those items are lifesavers. Takes maybe 10 minutes total and EV just sits right through it no complaints.

Comment

I buy all my supplies on ebay. J&J Zonas Porous Tape or Kendall Curity Porous Tape. I am starting to prefer the Kendall...it sticks better. Metal stays provided by my breeder. Cork or hair rollers to place over the bump. Smith & Nephew Remove or Unisolve Adhesive remover. Osteo-bond to glue the taped stays in. Finally, GoldBond, yellow bottle.
        sigpic
        Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
        Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Thanks for all the needed supplies !! Is there any youtube videos that show how to do a good tape job ? This will be my first time and I am sure my breeder will show me when I pick up Clarie but would love to have a great video for if I forget lol
          thanks Miranda
          sigpic

Claire 16 weeks

Comment

Everyone has provided you with all you need. I just use the Johnson and Johnson tape from walmart, its never gave us any problems.

Here is the youtube vids. This is video 1 of a 3 part video series. This is the method I use.
            http://www.youtube.com/user/stevedfw.../2/chiV4ekcezc

You'll find the rest of the video 2 & 3 on the right.

Good Luck! I was so nervous my first taping, Now its just second nature to do it every 1- 1 1/2weeks.

Kelly - Wife to Eric, Mom to Noah.
            Xavier - 1 year old.
            RIP Jake - We miss you.
            Proverbs 12:10 A Righteous Man has Regard for the Life of his Animal.

Comment

Have your breeder show you how to tape the ears the day you pick up your puppy. My breeder taped Scarlett's ears the day of so that they would hold strong for a few days after getting her home and she let me practice my skills on another puppy from that litter, so I could get the feel for it.

I used 3M Medipore Tape (perforated surgical tape) and hockey tape (the beige one), as well as backer rod from the hardware store and Gold Bond foot powder.
              Katie & Scarlett
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                I buy all my supplies on ebay. J&J Zonas Porous Tape or Kendall Curity Porous Tape. I am starting to prefer the Kendall...it sticks better. Metal stays provided by my breeder. Cork or hair rollers to place over the bump. Smith & Nephew Remove or Unisolve Adhesive remover. Osteo-bond to glue the taped stays in. Finally, GoldBond, yellow bottle.
                Is that tape instead of the paper tape or instead of the adhesive 2" tape?

I am very frustrated with the taping. My breeder lives of course too far away to help me tape. Other than that I just don't know anyone who can show me how to do it. Last night my son and I taped Max for the very first time. No clue if we did it right. We follwed the youtune videos as close as possible, but it is hard to tell where the opening of the ear should go()side? front?) and what the do with the edge of the ear opposite of the bell part.
                sigpic

Comment

It looks to me like there are alot of different ways to tape ? The youtube video I watched did not use Osteo-bond to glue the taped stays in. Is it better to use the glue or is either way alright ? Also in the viedo when he covered the foam tubing the first wrapping do alot of you do a bunch of these ahead of time to cut down the time it takes to tape ?
                  thanks again the more I learn the less I worry about taping I am sure I can catch on
                  sigpic

Claire 16 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Malyshka View Post
                    Is that tape instead of the paper tape or instead of the adhesive 2" tape?
                    I only use 1" tape.
                    sigpic
                    www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Can you mess up a good crop by taping wrong? I am just really afraid we may be doing it wrong...
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes. The aftercare is as important as the crop itself.
                        sigpic
                        www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                          Yes. The aftercare is as important as the crop itself.
                          So how can you be sure you are doing it right? What are the signs of a bad wrap?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malyshka View Post
                            So how can you be sure you are doing it right? What are the signs of a bad wrap?
                            There are many ways to post, the only right way is the one that works for you. You want to avoid swelling around the taped areas. This can be caused by the tape being too tight and cutting off circulation. You want to avoid foul smells that might hint of infection.

Other than that, keeping the ears taped upright and braced (while younger) are important to starting a good foundation. The secret to taping, is to be constant. Never leave the ears down long, as soon as they start to droop put them right back up. Just keep at it.
                            sigpic
                            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

cropping tools

Has anyone used the "Quick Brace" system? The breeder I'm corresponding with (for my 2010 puppy) suggests this for cropped ears. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X