Can you re-tape too often?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you re-tape too often?

When getting all my supplies together I was only able to locate 1" Zonas and 1" Curity tape so I started off with that.
    Today I was able to pick up the 2" of each.

I wanted to retape today as he is flopping a little too much. Today he is shaking more than usual too, I think because I added more pieces of 1" tape hoping it would be more secure but maybe I have too much smaller tape on there and his ears are just too heavy.
    No smell and everything else looks ok in there from what I can see.
    I guess if I use the 2" tape I should only need 3 pieces to cover the whole ear whereby he has a bunch of tape on there now.

Another issue I have is that I am so afraid of placing the post (am using the foam baker rod) too far down the ear canal.
    Can you add a cotton ball or some gauze do you think at the end of the baker rod that goes in the canal for comfort some how? I just wondered if that was irritating him?

He has only had the posts in for 4 days is that too soon to take them down and put new posts and tapes in?

Thankyou
    BARB

Ears

No, I don't think it's too soon to take them down. Check and be sure the ears are o.k. and showing no signs of infection.

Comment

I taped every 2-3 days, so I think you are fine. If he is shaking his head a lot check and see that the ears are clean. Sometimes they get itchy with wax buildup and they will shake their heads a lot.
      Katie & Scarlett
      sigpic

Comment

Also, as far as addomg a cotton ball at the end of your post, you shouldn't need to do this. Try to set it right above the bump in the ear. This way, it does not go down into the ear, and stays quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by sokkachikk2 View Post
          Also, as far as addomg a cotton ball at the end of your post, you shouldn't need to do this. Try to set it right above the bump in the ear. This way, it does not go down into the ear, and stays quite nicely.
          I remember reading somewhere where it said that you only put the post "above the bump" when the ears are starting to stand not when the puppy is just starting his posting....that can't be right can it??

Right now I do admit I am placing the post farther into the ear canal than the little bump maybe that is my problem....

Thankyou
          BARB

Comment

I stuck the post right into the bell every time, not the canal. It made it easier for me to pull the ear straight up on the post.
            Katie & Scarlett
            sigpic

Comment

I have to re tape every day. She shakes them loose, the other dogs think they're toys, etc... It doesn't matter if I put it in the bell or on the bump I'm still re taping every single night. I had 1 and 2 inch tape and I find it easier to use just the 1.
              sigpic
              Michelle
              Newton, Iris - Great Danes
              Abby - APBT
              Apollo, Jade and Angel - Miniature Dachshunds
              Wilson - ChiX
              RIP Buddy and Ginger ~ Doxies

Comment

Originally posted by maxview View Post
                I remember reading somewhere where it said that you only put the post "above the bump" when the ears are starting to stand not when the puppy is just starting his posting....that can't be right can it??

Right now I do admit I am placing the post farther into the ear canal than the little bump maybe that is my problem....

Thankyou
                BARB
                I think you'll find that your baby will handle the posting better if you stop just above the bump. I too, was putting the 5/8" foam post material down in the ear canal and it was causing Zeus to shake his head a lot. It also caused the ears to get stinky. Moving the foam to the correct position took care of the problems. Good luck!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X