ear cropping after care???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ear cropping after care???

Ellie got cropped yesterday by Dr. Martin, he did a lovely job!! *kittys mom we went off your Crop* Thanks to everyone who recommended him he was well worth the drive! My question is I was given some ointment for her ears but she will not let me put it on so I have to wait for my hubby to get home to help, my question is the ointment absolutely necessary and what are some things you recommend for aftercare if any? Is there any way to help stop the headshaking? I've never dealt with ear crops before besides taping ears at work for others Thanks!
    Last edited by iheartdanes; 10-09-2009, 10:52 AM.
    sigpic Ellie Dane

I used a triple antibiotic ointment on Classic's ears until they scabbed over. I assume that the head shaking will stop after she's used to the feeling.
    sigpic
    -Sara-
    -Classic & Zuma-

Comment

Not that I am any expert but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in since my guy Zolton has just had his stitches out.

Zolton's ears were cropped 9 days ago and the stitches were removed by my vet yesterday.
      While healing I took the advice of a lot on this list and used only Gold Bond Powder daily on his ears....took a soft cotton ball and applied it ever so softly on the entire edge and bell part of ear. I found keeping the ear edges dry really helped. I used no other creams or ointments.
      His ears ended up healing great with minimal head shaking or itching, I am sure because of the Gold Bond.

Since the foam block is still on his head pretty secure I am going to leave it there until Monday or Tuesday when the edges of his ears are 100% healed then start taping.

I know lots of different opinions as to use ointments or not, but I found keeping them dry with the powder worked great for us.

Barb

Comment

Thanks so much for the ideas. I think I will try the goldbond powder.
        sigpic Ellie Dane

Comment

Originally posted by maxview View Post
          Not that I am any expert but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in since my guy Zolton has just had his stitches out.

Since the foam block is still on his head pretty secure I am going to leave it there until Monday or Tuesday when the edges of his ears are 100% healed then start taping.

Barb
          Please be very diligent with the foam block. I saw a male get a horrible staph infection UNDER the block. I would not keep it on any longer than necessary as it traps moisture between it and the head. Just my experience.
          Nancy
          Calico Rock Danes
          Alabama

Comment

Working...
          X