Tums and Cottage cheese???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tums and Cottage cheese???

I went to our local pet store today to get some treats and toys for Brusco. A lady came to the aile I was at, and told me she breeds and show great danes, and ask me to where I got my baby from. She then uttered, "oh, you got his ears cropped, you know to make them stand quickly, give them tums ans cottage cheese for calcium"...
    How effective is this? Should I even cconsider this? My vet never suggested this... Any of you give this to your newly cropped puppies?
    [PHP]sigpic

Grace, mom to Ava and Vic (skinned children, 2 and 3 years old) Puff (the Maltese, 4 years old) Lucy (the Dachshund, 6 years old) Pumpkin (the Cat, 10 years old) Savier (the Doberman, 3 years old) Brusco (the Great Dane, 3 mos old)
    "We have a full house, and a lot of love to give"

I'm no expert by any means but I would stay away from Tums. Danes are very susceptible to Calcium (which tums is FULL of) because it can lead to bone growth issues in this breed. There has been a lot of research that shows specifically that elevated Calcium and Phosphorus levels, rather than higher protein content in some cases, can cause some of the scarier bone/joint issues in Danes. As for the cottage cheese...well...its cheese! Mine all love cottage cheese, though it is a good source of fat so you'll have to keep an eye on their waistline since u want a slim dane pup. As far as helping the ears though...no idea on that one. HTH!

Comment

Thank you!
      [PHP]sigpic

Grace, mom to Ava and Vic (skinned children, 2 and 3 years old) Puff (the Maltese, 4 years old) Lucy (the Dachshund, 6 years old) Pumpkin (the Cat, 10 years old) Savier (the Doberman, 3 years old) Brusco (the Great Dane, 3 mos old)
      "We have a full house, and a lot of love to give"

Comment

This advice is baloney! Ears are basically cartilage which is made up of collagen and elastin fibers. Calcium is NOT the element to be concerned with- keratin is. If you want to boost the strength of these elements in the body, MSM is the main supp. and building block for this. Omega 3 is also beneficial. ALL cartilage and the components listed require sulphur to grow and be strong. MSM is organic sulphur. Unfortunately, the natural sources for MSM are very difficult to get in the diet now due to depletion in the soils and then processing of our foods. Unless eating raw, dogs (and us) are probably lacking in optimal amounts and the body literally can not function well without it. It is a safe, cheap supp. and I raise ALL my animals on it and take it myself!

Comment

Last edited by BicycleBabe; 11-12-2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Knox Gelatin and Vit C are your best bet.
            Last edited by lwrees72; 10-01-2009, 11:48 AM.
            sigpic
            Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
            Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

I wouldn't give Tums... I do give cottage cheese, flintstone vit. and the knox gelatin. They work great. Really it is dependant on the thickness or lack there of of the ear leather. I have had 2 in tapes at the same time. I did the above and excluded the knox from one and gave it to the other. The one with the knox did better so take it for what its worth. I wouldn't swear by it but I feel it works. Good luck
              sigpic
              Yvonne, Heather & gang @ Rhydtsdanes
              http://www.rhydtsdanes.com
              Owner/Handler

Comment

I agree with Knox. I had my boy out of tapes before he was 6 months old. He had a show crop but not a super long one .

Comment

Working...
                X