Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To crop or not to crop, that is the question.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
    I strongly disagree, as looks are what attracts us to something first. Then only after we are attracted to the animal or person, do we learn of all of their other values and virtues.

Luckily here in the states I have the choice. I will continue to crop until that choice is taken from me. If and when that happens, I will have to step back and see if this is still the breed for me.
    So how much cosmetic surgery have you had?
    Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
    Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas&Fam View Post
      So how much cosmetic surgery have you had?
      Not that it is any of your business, but I have had reconstructive nose and hand surgery.
      sigpic
      Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
      Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
      www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Not that it is any of your business, but I have had reconstructive nose and hand surgery.
        Logan, don't be mad, but I had to say this. Did that SWORD or is it a TUNA fish the one that popped you in the nose and stabbed or bit you in the hand?

Slap me when you see me in two weeks.
        Last edited by Susanne; 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM.
        Member:
        Macon Kennel Club
        & Great Dane Club of the Mid-South

Comment

I had the same experience as Katie, originally planned on natural ears from a different breeder and then by chance ended up with Louis, who had already been cropped! (can't imagine not having my Louis now!)
          I knew absolutely NOTHING about taping, my daughter and I found a YouTube video and that's how we learned! There was certainly a lot of trial and error involved, but we got better and better the longer we taped. we also changed our methods and our materials as we went. Louis has a very long crop as he comes from a show home and I couldn't imagine how those ears were ever going to stand, but lo and behold, they are beautiful!!!!
          I would caution you as to what a commitment the whole process is so be prepared to follow it through till those suckers stand on their own. I'm guessing that if you are being so thoughtful about making the decision you will be very disappointed in yourself if you give up sometime along the way because it does get tedious and long....
          Whatever you decide will be the right thing for you and your baby!!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SusRob0674 View Post
            Logan, don't be mad, but I had to say this. Did that SWORD or is it a TUNA fish the one that popped you in the nose and stabbed or bit you in the hand?

Slap me when you see me in two weeks.
            LOL...nope that is a yellow fin tuna.

I broke my nose (several times) and hand playing soccer. I was asked to play semi-pro in Rio at 16. I was also invited to try out for the Atlanta Silverbacks.

But, I'd still like to slap you in 2 wks...LOL!
            sigpic
            www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

LOL...nope that is a yellow fin tuna.

I broke my nose (several times) and hand playing soccer. I was asked to play semi-pro in Rio at 16. I was also invited to try out for the Atlanta Silverbacks.

But, I'd still like to slap you in 2 wks...LOL!
              Pretty sure the hand surgery at least doesn't qualify as cosmetic. My point is that I think surgery for surgery's sake is dumb, and based on your comments that appearance is apparently the most important initial trait on a living creature, my question as to whether or not you have had COSMETIC surgery (or asked your wife or children to do it, for that matter) is relevant. You generalized it from dogs to other "things" in life, so it was a relevant question. Am I saying people should not get cosmetic surgery, no I'm not. But if I think that I personally should be accepted and liked despite my appearance (and I'm sure the world would be a happier place if I had a little work done on my pointy shnoz) then how can I personally possibly say my dog needs cosmetic surgery? That is my point, and I think it is a valid one.
              Misty, Leonidas (Dane), and Valor (Pomeranian Mix)
              Current 52 Photo Project:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDu8ALZ

Comment

Pretty sure the hand surgery at least doesn't qualify as cosmetic. My point is that I think surgery for surgery's sake is dumb, and based on your comments that appearance is apparently the most important initial trait on a living creature, my question as to whether or not you have had COSMETIC surgery (or asked your wife or children to do it, for that matter) is relevant. You generalized it from dogs to other "things" in life, so it was a relevant question. Am I saying people should not get cosmetic surgery, no I'm not. But if I think that I personally should be accepted and liked despite my appearance (and I'm sure the world would be a happier place if I had a little work done on my pointy shnoz) then how can I personally possibly say my dog needs cosmetic surgery? That is my point, and I think it is a valid one.
                Yes, your point is valid and it's been heard a thousand times before, not only from you, but from countless other cropping naysayers. The wheel has already been invented, patented, and has hit the assembly line.

Can it. Honestly.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

The reality is you MAY think you should be accepted despite your appearance, but that is not how the world works. There are many studies that have looked into the differences between how obese and/or unattractive people are treated vs. those that are considered attractive. The majority of the time the attractive person if treated better.

Luckily, I have come from good genes and attractive parents and other than standing to lose a few pounds, I really haven't needed cosmetic surgery. That said, if I did and I could afford it, I wouldn't hesitate.

Again, thankfully I live in the USA and have the RIGHT to choose if I want to crop my dog. All of you that disagree with that right, do not need to crop yours, but quit trying to ruin it for the rest of us. I guarantee my dogs are treated better than most, so if you are so concerned about the canine welfare, maybe you should take you soap box act somewhere that it might actually make a difference!
                  sigpic
                  www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

All right, enough. Scarlett's Mom is correct. This is an old argument and here in the US we do have the right to crop. Whether or not people do is their perogative. Our members do not have to be harassed because they choose to crop.
                    sigpic
                    In Memory of Sky, EZ and Honor

Visit Poke's Facebook Page

Member of the GDC of MD.
                    Well behaved danes are not born. They are “made” by responsible and caring dane owners.

Comment

Working...
                    X