Open wounds and bad bleeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open wounds and bad bleeding

I took off the tape this morning (we are four months in). He has really bad open wounds on both ears, with fresh blood. He had these cuts when we taped, and I applied neosporin last time we taped, but they have gotten worse. We were thinking of applying liquid band-aid, but I don't think we can re-tape. He has had slight cuts before, but these are much, much worse. I feel like we should take him to the vet, but I don't think there is anything they can do.

First let me say that I am in no way an expert on this! But, when we were taping Roxy's ears the vet would let them air out a couple of days here and there. They said it was because the skin can get irritated from the tape and also from moisture under the tape that is traped. Only once did she get a little "red" spot where the hair was missing from the tape.

I hope that others will chime in and help give you some answers.

IMO I would give it a rest for a day or two. Give the ears some time to get fresh air. Also, I was told that if water gets in or on the tape it can cause the flesh to rot because there is no way for it to dry out.
    sigpic
    Roxy & Ace

Comment

Can you re-do the cup? The way our breeder showed us the cup method doesn't cover where the stitches or open areas were, that way the ears are up but the area can heal?
      Do you have someone who can show you how to do it?
      sigpic

Comment

We went to the vet, which was packed, so we couldn't see anyone. the liquid band-aid and neosporin helped, so we are going to re-tape just the bases and leave the tops of the ears untaped (which is where the cuts are)

Very stressfull. I love the way cropped dane ears look, but if I could go back. I would have never have done it. The stress and fighting with my wife... is not worth it, and after four months in... we are no where close to finished taping.

Comment

Sprinkle the ears liberally with Gold Bond, helps dry moisture and protect the ears from cuts and rub wounds.
          sigpic
          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Do you have a picture of how you are taping?

ETA: Are you completely wrapping the ears?
            Last edited by CalicoRock; 09-20-2009, 07:10 PM.
            Nancy
            Calico Rock Danes
            Alabama

Comment

How long are you leaving the tapes on?
              Meg
              AeroDanes

Comment

Working...
              X