Taping Natural Ears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping Natural Ears

I know I saw a post somewhere in here about how to tape natural ears, Dayna's are starting to get an undesireable 'perk' to them.. Can someone link me or repost the info for taping natural ears down. TY
    Crystal- Mom to Gargani's K.O. Dayna Blue
    sigpic

I can't find that thread, but I did a search for "taping natural ears" on Google and came up with this: http://www.6stardanes.com/ears.html.
    Katie & Scarlett
    sigpic

Comment

she must be teething huh?
      sigpic
      What Tucker's up to now: http://greatdanetucker.blogspot.com/

Comment

I really dont know but Ivys ears were all goofy when I got her (at 4 months) and now they are starting to lay real nice...well at least one is so far..the other is starting

Comment

She is teething, didnt realize it was relevent to her funky perk.
          I want to show her in the future, do you think I should tape her ears? Or just give it some time to de-funk.
          sigpic

Comment

I really have no idea...I obviously can not show Ivy so I havent really cared. I *think* I would try to avoid taping if possible just because I think it would be a pain, and I dont like messing with things like that. I used to know a breeder who won pretty consistently with natural eared dogs, and I dont remember her mentioning taping them, but I never asked either. My guess would be if her ear set was fine before and would return to a nice set later....but again I totally have no clue

Comment

If you are planning on showing I would definitely tape. You want the ear to lay properly, as with some judges you are already at a disadvantage.
              sigpic
              Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
              Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
              www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
                If you are planning on showing I would definitely tape. You want the ear to lay properly, as with some judges you are already at a disadvantage.
                This is what I was figuring. I wasnt able to find an exceptional vet for getting her ears cropped before 10 weeks. So natural it is. She has a white mark on her chest, which I know is not desirable, so I want to do everything I 'can' to make sure she is good elsewhere. I appreciate your help.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DaynasMom View Post
                  This is what I was figuring. I wasnt able to find an exceptional vet for getting her ears cropped before 10 weeks. So natural it is. She has a white mark on her chest, which I know is not desirable, so I want to do everything I 'can' to make sure she is good elsewhere. I appreciate your help.
                  Hi the white mark on her chest will mean nothing to the judges.It is the overall dog.Good luck in the ring i love it!!!

Comment

For an entire month maybe more 3 mo to 4mo Faust's ears did the craziest stuff. He had the same weird perky thing going on that you are talking about and it seemed they never laid flat at all. At around a little over 4mo they stopped doing that on their own and now lay perfectly to the head, but I have to say it was really weird. I was worried he was going to have deformed ears but just kept repositioning them to make sure it was not permanent and more something the goof was doing on his own.
                    sigpic

Comment

You learn something everyday I was curious so I emailed the breeder I knew...she suggested the same link scarlett's mom sent. For some reason I was thinking taping as in several weeks to months....and couldnt figure out why a natural eared pup would be that hard. She said you normally just do it for a couple days or several sessions of a couple days. That seems much more doable than what was in my head

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I hoped to find some of the tape at the local pet store, no such luck. Going to call some of the vet offices and see what I can find.

I guess I was concerned because when I was searching for my dane puppy I noticed a good number of bitches with funky ears. They perk but to the side not forward, and it just wasnt very 'dane' looking to me. Dayna's mother has an ear crop so there would be no way for me to know if her ears would have done this too.. I really did want Dayna's ears cropped, but didnt want to have them done after 10 weeks, so went natural (lack of good resources in the area.. a few of the counties are crop free, and there certainly wasnt anyone exceptional enough for me.. will go to Dr Bill if he is still around fo the next pup)

But anyways.. Thank you again. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Personally I like Johnson & Johnson Zonas Porous Tape Of Kendall Curity. You can often find these at your local pharmacy, if not, they can order it and get it in with in a few days. If that doesn't works, try Ebay!
                          sigpic
                          Logan, Member GDCA and Past President GDCMF
                          Int'l CH & AM GCH Legacys Killer Instinct, TT, CHIC (Kaos)
                          www.lokenigreatdanes.com

Comment

Ear Tape

I tried going to the pet stores & veterinary offices as well, but it turned out that the best thing to do was to go to Walgreens (or maybe CVS in your area) & get the Johnson & Johnson's tape (like suggested above).

If you get the Johnson & Johnson make sure that it's the sticky kind. Some of the tapes just sticks to itself and there is no adhesive. You definitely want adhesive.

Taping natural ears is pretty simple & it probably won't take too long for her ears to stop being funky. Good Luck!
                            Last edited by EMshablem; 07-30-2009, 09:23 PM.
                            Elysé & Emmett
                            sigpic

Comment

I went on the gdca site and looked at the standard for the ears. Can someone help me out with a pic of what it looks like from the front? I love my guy's natural ears, but I was wondering how good or bad his ears are and if i should (or even can, at this age) tape to fix any problems. For lack of a better picture from here at work- here's what I mean...

the ear on the left is how they look when he's focused, the ear on the right is how they are pretty much the rest of the time (relaxed). How does it look compared to the standard (besides being too big LOL)?

here's a couple more:

LOL and after a run

*Please don't mind the mange spots in the second photo- they're much better now, it just took a little while for the hair to grow back!
                              Last edited by Dobe&Dane; 01-12-2010, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X